Future PC Build

Hello LTT Forum,

I am hoping to build my first pc after I graduate in a couple months time. This rig will primarily be used for gaming on ultra settings at 1080p, however, I am looking to purchase a 1440p or 21:9 1080p monitor after I save up more money. Also, I will be doing some occasional rendering in Autodesk Inventor and Rivet. I am aware that this is a while before I intend to build it but I have to clear this through my parents, so they can decide if it is okay for me to purchase the parts.

First of all, this (http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/wLYZWZ) is the build I want to do and I was hoping advice could be given on how to improve it in anyway.

Secondly, my room where the pc will be housed is directly below the room where our modem is currently located, thus I may have to settle for a pc with an on-board wifi card. My max budget is around $1600 (Australia) and I am wondering if you could advise me on a build that would be the best price/performance, but would allow me to connect to my modem via wifi. I already have all necessary peripherals, however an OS is needed, but it does not need to be included in the $1600 budget.

Thank you in advance

~Decimus Aemilianus

If you are going to build it in a couple months time then you would be better off looking at your CPU then. Broadwell should release around Dec 2014/Jan 2015/Fed 2015 and it could very much be worth picking up one of those (I5 or I7, depending on how far thread utilization is for games). This would also mean replacing the motherboard for a Z107 one (Assuming they progress with this naming scheme). The rest of your build looks pretty good to me but the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 is by far the superior choice at the moment for that card, especially if you do not plan to SLI. If you do plan to SLI then you would be better off getting EVGA Reference style cooler (Either magnesium one or plastic one).

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I was under the impression that Broadwell wasn't being released until later on in the year but I am would certainly get the latest i5 or i7 and the z series board. I've haven't been able to find an EVGA magnesium cooler on PC Case Gear but I think Galaxy (or Galax now, I think?) may have a cheap plastic cooler.

EDIT: 

I can only find a plastic Galax reference 970 with a horrendous blue pcb on PC Case Gear

Hello LTT Forum,

I am hoping to build my first pc after I graduate in a couple months time. This rig will primarily be used for gaming on ultra settings at 1080p, however, I am looking to purchase a 1440p or 21:9 1080p monitor after I save up more money. Also, I will be doing some occasional rendering in Autodesk Inventor and Rivet. I am aware that this is a while before I intend to build it but I have to clear this through my parents, so they can decide if it is okay for me to purchase the parts.

First of all, this (http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/wLYZWZ) is the build I want to do and I was hoping advice could be given on how to improve it in anyway.

Secondly, my room where the pc will be housed is directly below the room where our modem is currently located, thus I may have to settle for a pc with an on-board wifi card. My max budget is around $1600 (Australia) and I am wondering if you could advise me on a build that would be the best price/performance, but would allow me to connect to my modem via wifi. I already have all necessary peripherals, however an OS is needed, but it does not need to be included in the $1600 budget.

Thank you in advance

~Decimus Aemilianus

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/XYt2jX

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/XYt2jX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($213.00 @ Centre Com)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($39.00 @ Mwave Australia)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.00 @ CPL Online)

Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($92.00 @ CPL Online)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($61.00 @ Centre Com)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($759.00 @ CPL Online)

Case: BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($95.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Total: $1562.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 23:34 EST+1000

Dont bother waiting for broadwell, as it will be 90% power improvements

also overclocking does relatively less for gaming, better off getting a better gpu instead.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

It's a little over the budget, but I think this would work, and also you'd be able to get more out of your CPU and your GPU.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/DwZm23

Thank you for the build James!

I heard that the EVGA 970 had some temp issues so I am a little hesitant with purchasing it especially when it gets really hot in my room during summer.

Thank you for the build James!

I heard that the EVGA 970 had some temp issues so I am a little hesitant with purchasing it especially when it gets really hot in my room during summer.

Oh ok, I didn't know that there were problems with that card, sorry!

Oh ok, I didn't know that there were problems with that card, sorry!

No problem. I don't know for certain but I think I remember seeing a topic about it in the news section a day or two ago.