Is it worth it? 280x ----> 970

gilang01

title says all. here in my country the 970 retails for $400 +-, my 280x will probably sell for $290... is the 970 worth the price gap? 

Nope, why would you want to get a GTX 970 when the 280X is still a perfectly viable GPU???

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Nope, why would you want to get a GTX 970 when the 280X is still a perfectly viable GPU???

slightly better performance, less power consumption.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

nope, what's the point? Unless the money means nothing...

It's not about having the latest and  greatest, it's about having a good gaming experience. The card serves the games

280X will serve you well. It's not that worth it like the guys above said already

Spoiler

slightly better performance, less power consumption.

Exactly my reasoning for saying nope, actually lower FPS according to TweakTown, but the 100W TDP decrease is quite appealing but I'm not sure how much that would affect your power bill. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

does power consumption really matter tho?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

title says all. here in my country the 970 retails for $400 +-, my 280x will probably sell for $290... is the 970 worth the price gap? 

Depends. What resolution are you gaming at? Does noise bother you, and if so is your 280X loud?

not in my opinion. Not great enough to be worth it

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I gamw on 1080p btw

Going to the 970 just for 1080p is overkill, your 280X should be fine.

Buy an SSD since you want to spend money.

Keep your 280x

SSD huh? what can i get for $100?

To be fair, I upgraded from a GTX 770 to a 780. It was a great upgrade considering I had so many mods on Skyrim.

Honestly though, if you're still gaming on 1080p, I'd recommend buying a new monitor at 1440p first.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

To be fair, I upgraded from a GTX 770 to a 780. It was a great upgrade considering I had so many mods on Skyrim.

Honestly though, if you're still gaming on 1080p, I'd recommend buying a new monitor at 1440p first.

Are you using a 1440p screen?

Are you using a 1440p screen?

No lol. Almost everything my 780 is running, ran perfectly fine on my 770.

I mainly own it because I had a lot of hours in Skyrim, and with mods, it's exceptionally demanding.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.