1440p and 1600p price

thegamezbeplayed

How much was 1080p and 720p when it first came out? I really want 3 1600p monitors but that would be around 1800$... I can get 3 1080p for 600ish...

When they first came out (to the masses) 1080p was between $400 and $600. When 1440p came out it was over $1200, and now it's only around $600 for the decent options, $400 for no warranty/low grade panels.

You could get 3 x 1080p for $300 and hold yourself over until 4K. I'd suggest holding off on the 3x1600p unless you truly have the money to blow and system to support it. 4K will be out my mid 2014 for under $2000, maybe even sooner, so I'm waiting.

I'd rather get 3 1600p than 1 4k. I am game design major, and alot of the times i wish i had 3 screens.

1600p probably won't go down in price, just like 1200p really hasn't. 1440p will start to go down though, I'm sure. However I personally hate 16:9 ratio and prefer 16:10.

1440p and 1600p monitors are aimed at high-end consumer market. There is no TN panels with such resolutions, as the TN panel are targeted at the budget market. So everything is designed to be cut down to the max to provide a inexpensive price point to the consumer. Most consumer that seek 1440p or 1600p monitor wants excellent view angles, excellent sharpness, really good colors, they also demand that the panel is a true 8-bit panel, and not a 6-bit panel like 100% of TN panels (I kid you you not, there isn't a single TN panel anywhere, not even in research labs that is more than 6-bit colors per channel). Plus the target market users, you usually wants the entire package such as: 0 bright pixel policy, good dead pixel policy with no zones or distance crap to not cover you, and want them non-glossy, and fully adjustable stand.

Also many of them features pre-color calibrated color profile sRGB and if the monitor is capable of providing wide gamut colors: Adobe RGB. (This per-calibration profiles isuseless for professionals that requires pin point color accuracy, as they have their fancy color calibrators, but a very welcome addition to high-end consumer). All this adds a lot to the cost. Hence, not cheap.

Moreover, they all features stuff like high grade CFL back light or GB-LED back light (for true whites, so that colors aren't tinted blue, like white LED back light provides. They also features color processors and Look Up Tables, and of course, as mentioned a true 8-bit panel cost significantly more money. These monitor are very close to entry level professional grade monitors.

If you want the best value for your money, than look at Dell UltraSharp offerings (except some select few models like the U2412 (not to be confused with the U2410), U2312HM and U2212 version. They are LG panels, same great warranty, and similar warranty services than professional grade monitors where if the monitor has a fault, you get to keep the monitor while Dell ships you a replacement one, where, once you receive it, you swap them, and in teh box of the monitor you'll see a pre-paid return shipping label, just stick it above the old one, and call the mail carrier to come and pick it up. So you always have a monitor on your desk, and also shipping is paid both sides for you. You just sit back and relax. So you have a comparable LG monitor, but you pay much less for not having the name.

Oh and lower demand, makes price rises, especially 16:10

I have one of those monitor: but 24inch, 1920x1200 (Dell U2410 to be exact), and I think, and so is everyone that gets those high end consumer monitors, they are worth every penny. If you seek fast response time, because you are a hard core FPS player, and play competitively and not just fun. Then those, sadly aren't for you. You'll not like them. But if you just casually play FPS games, and focus more on other genre of games, than such monitor will, beside give you more work space, make you much enjoy the hard work of the graphic artists, and really display the art work of the games you play to it's best, boosting your gaming experience.

im fine with 1 monitor, recently bought asus 2560x1440, which is amazing, my next upgrade will be a 30" OLED 4k monitor, the video cards nowadays (680's) will have to triple or even quadruple the performances to get acceptable fps in games, if the 4k was 120hz, that would be amazing. will these 3 monitors be used for gaming in surround, because you are gonna need a lot of gpu to run them at max settings.

Before we get 4k 120Hz monitors, we need the data cable to support it.

Right now this your choices:

-> 2x Dual link DVI will get you: 4k @ 60Hz with 8-bit colors per channel (red, green and blue are channels) (24-bit color max or 1.67 million colors)

-> 1x HDMI 1.4 will get you: 4k @ 24Hz with 8-bit colors per channel only. (24-bit color max or 1.67 million colors).

-> 1x DisplayPort 1.2 will get you 4k @ 60Hz with if I am not mistaken, 10-bit colors per channel (30-bit color max or 1.07 billion colors)

So we need: DisplayPort 1.3, assuming it will support 4k @ 120Hz. Or maybe, HDMI 1.5.

DVI.. I doubt it.. it's finished.

16:9 vs 16:10 has a lot more viewing potential. I like to play RTS games and seeing as much as I possibly can in the screen is a must. I am also a game designer

I have 3 x (1080p, 21.5") and so often I wish I had a 2560x1600 monitor. Would much, much prefer it.

To be honest, were I you, I would pick up two 1600p monitors for multitasking and game on one of them--sure, you won't get surround/eyefinity, but the resolution already is quite amazing, to be frank.

I also prefer 16:10 over 16:9, though price was a factor when I bought mine and 16:9 is cheaper :)

1600p FTW

best purchase I ever made for my computer...

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

1600p FTW best purchase I ever made for my computer...

I would definitely trade my Eyefinity setup for a 1600p monitor.

Eyefinity is a little less than awesome, in my honest opinion.

i recommend whole-heartedly the Dell u3011. excellent range of I/O options along with ways to out port the sounds from HDMI and displayport built in. Also, an sd card reader. Yes an sd card reader. 2560x1600 is nice but seriously sd card is the best feature

I'd say hold off for 4K but if your really cant wait then get the 3 1080's as you wont really appreciate the higher resolution on under 30" screens

I agree with Drethstoff, if you can afford it, go for it. It must be noted that rumor says that there will be a new 30inch monitor that will replace the U3011, the U3014. based on leaked info, it looks like to be a bit better monitor, however less inputs. Kinda like a trade off. But the U3011 is a gorgeous screen in looks, build quality, and image output.

But if you can't, then the U2713M or the U2711, or that if still pricey, the U2713HM. But I would go with the U2713M. The U2711 is about to be discontinued, it's the old model.

go for 1 monitor at 1600p. it is huge, plenty of space for work, and games look fantastic.

when you get the money, go for 2 1440p korean panels, and you can put all the monitors in portrait.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

When you guys recommend 4k do you mean get just 1 4k instead of 3 1440p? I want 3 screens for better multitasking. And 1440p is better than 1600p in my opinion because 16:10 offers you less field of view than 16:9.

Ima just keep track of some monitors and there price here.

Samsung currently 800$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

Asus currently 700$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

Maybe with 4k being announced we can start to see 1440p prices start to go down. Ima check back at these in a month or so. Luckily I have until may to make my decision.