Asus Maximus VII Hero + Interl i7 4790K - No support in stock bios

SuT
Go to solution Solved by Kryptyx,

I doubt the board you get will have that bios version on it. Mine did but I had the board from a preorder before the 4790k was even released. They make it stupid easy to flash the latest bios, you don't even need the cpu in it.

Just download the latest bios, rename it M7H.cap, toss it on a USB drive and plug into the quick flash slot and press flash the button on the board.

Again, you probably won't even run into this problem since they've been out for a while now.

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to build a new PC next week,

and after asking on the forum and consulting some of my friends,

I'm going to have an Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard with the Intel Core i7 4790K processor.

The problem is that in the Asus website,

The i7 4790K is not supported in first bios release. (Which is 0401)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

The website says that I need to update my bios to 0609...
How am I supposed to do it? Buy another CPU?
Any advise?

I'm new to all the PC building, so be gentle!  :P

UPDATE

Thanks to Kryptyx, I searched the web,

And came across this nice tutorial. (including a video)

Requirements for bios update on Asus motherboards:

Power Supply

USB Flash drive with latest bios update (which can be easily found on their website)

I hope that this will help someone. :)

don't get that motherboard, simple. its over priced easier solution is just save your money and get a msi g55 sli and a better graphics card 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

don't get that motherboard, simple. its over priced easier solution is just save your money and get a msi g55 sli and a better graphics card 

Or one of their Gaming edition boards will match the red/black color scheme so many people want, and do it better than the Hero.

You could also buy a Celeron to update the BIOS... They're pretty cheap.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Or one of their Gaming edition boards will match the red/black color scheme so many people want, and do it better than the Hero.

From what I've read on many reviews, the MSI boards have 2 main issues:

1. Sound quality - the sound quality on other motherboards is much higher.

2. Durability - a lot of people are complaining about motherboards dying after days or weeks. Even if I get lucky in buying one that doesn't fail after a short period, I can't be sure it won't die after a few month or so.

Is there an easy way to update the bios of the VII Hero without purchasing another CPU?

I'm also thinking about getting the 4790 (non K version), which I understand has the Turbo mode, and is supported on the first bios version.

From what I've read on many reviews, the MSI boards have 2 main issues:

1. Sound quality - the sound quality on other motherboards is much higher. 

2. Durability - a lot of people are complaining about motherboards dying after days or weeks. Even if I get lucky in buying one that doesn't fail after a short period, I can't be sure it won't die after a few month or so.

Is there an easy way to update the bios of the VII Hero without purchasing another CPU?

I'm also thinking about getting the 4790 (non K version), which I understand has the Turbo mode, and is supported on the first bios version.

1. Not entirely, most of the boards use the same things..

2. It's a hit or miss with all the boards, some die quickly, others don't.

3. None that I know of.

I doubt the board you get will have that bios version on it. Mine did but I had the board from a preorder before the 4790k was even released. They make it stupid easy to flash the latest bios, you don't even need the cpu in it.

Just download the latest bios, rename it M7H.cap, toss it on a USB drive and plug into the quick flash slot and press flash the button on the board.

Again, you probably won't even run into this problem since they've been out for a while now.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I searched about bios flashing on the Asus boards, and found out that it is easy!

All you need is the motherboard, flash drive with the bios file and a power supply!

Thanks for the tip!

I hope other people will benefit from it! :)

I searched about bios flashing on the Asus boards, and found out that it is easy!

All you need is the motherboard, flash drive with the bios file and a power supply!

Thanks for the tip!

I hope other people will benefit from it! :)

No problem! Enjoy your new system, that is one of the best boards out.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE