Xonar Essence STX vs. Xonar Essence STX II (What's the difference?)

Nyx-AGB
Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

Read this thread.

Output impedance and damping factor.

To be brief, the impedance of headphone should be at least 8x the output impedance of the amp it is connected to. Soundcards, due to shitty design, typically have output impedances in the 10 to 40 ohm range. The ideal is <1ohm, even <0.1ohm. It is called impedance mismatch if the factor is less than 8x.

The problem with impedance mismatch is that it can cause audible changes in the frequency response of a headphone, potentially degrading quality. Given that most gaming headsets and even some audiophile headphones have low impedance, soundcards are generally an inferior choice to a good external amp or amp/DAC combo unit.

So according to you an AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 DAC is a better audio solution than a STX card?

Yes, we all know the audiophile snob uses a $40 oem shit.

I've plugged it into various devices and get blistering volume on anything I've tried.

So according to you an AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2 DAC is a better audio solution than a STX card?

They're both stupid products.

No.

I've plugged it into various devices and get blistering volume on anything I've tried.

That's what they all say, heh heh.

They're both stupid products.

OK if they're both "stupid" what do you use on your PC?

Whatever he says, don't believe. He's a huge audiophile but likes to troll hard.

Syba DAC, because I like analog volume control and the simple switch for speakers. I've owned a Little Dot DAC_I and MK IV SE stack, but the price tag couldn't justify the lack of difference over onboard audio.

Whatever he says, don't believe. He's a huge audiophile but likes to troll hard.

He who smelt it, dealt it. 

LOL thanks for the tip.

I've found ShearMe to be much more useful than you in the past... And less of an ass.

You are both seriously snobby though :P you more-so than ShearMe. Please keep in mind that he already has an STX and is just asking about the new one.

Syba DAC, because I like analog volume control and the simple switch for speakers. I've owned a Little Dot DAC_I and MK IV SE stack, but the price tag couldn't justify the lack of difference over onboard audio.

The Little Dot is $400.00 and it has tubes. I would never buy that. Tubes change the sound too much for my taste.

And the Syba DAC looks (judging by the specs) like a lesser Dragonfly 1.2.

That's just my opinion.

I've found ShearMe to be much more useful than you in the past... And less of an ass.

You are both seriously snobby though :P you more-so than ShearMe. Please keep in mind that he already has an STX and is just asking about the new one.

Gee, sorry I'm not "useful" enough for you. Fun fact, I'm not here to be useful to anybody. Sorry I don't blow all my money on audio equipment I don't need.

And I don't think I've ever tried to dispute that I'm snobby, so once again; trivial point.

Also, good job calling ShearMe an ass, he doesn't really deserve it.

The Little Dot is $400.00 and it has tubes. I would never buy that. Tubes change the sound too much for my taste.

But it didn't*, which was my point.

*Yes, there was some coloration going on, but it was so barely distinguishable that it made me question the sanity of people who ramble on about the differences in sound characteristics of amplifiers and/or DACs.

And the Syba DAC looks (judging by the specs) like a lesser Dragonfly 1.2.

Because random numbers totally affect audio quality!

Also, good job calling ShearMe an ass, he doesn't really deserve it.

post-2468-0-99786200-1408770131.jpg

Because random numbers totally affect audio quality!

Never said it was a fact, I just saw the specs and I have seen a ton of recommendations for Dragonfly and not a single one (until now) for the Syba DAC. So based on that, and that I haven't used either, I have more evidence in favor of the Dragonfly than the Syba.

Never said it was a fact, I just saw the specs and I have seen a ton of recommendations for Dragonfly and not a single one (until now) for the Syba DAC. So based on that, and that I haven't used either, I have more evidence in favor of the Dragonfly than the Syba.

Well duh, the Syba DAC is grey and OEM. Obviously good sound quality comes out of expensive items that look pretty.

I wouldn't buy it because it has a stupid name.

Also, 250$ for a STICK DAC?!

jackie-chan-1855694.jpg

I wouldn't buy it because it has a stupid name.

Also, 250$ for a STICK DAC?!

I personally don't dislike the name.

And I also thought the same thing when I saw it. But a ton of reviews and people at the hi-fi forum swear by the Dragonfly.

Personally I don't know how good it is. I might be crapy, it might be great.

Personally I don't know how good it is. I might be crapy, it might be great.

Oh, it performs nicely. So do cheaper products, however.

You drunk or not wearing glasses be honest.

Under 21, wasnt wearing contacts, and was failing at a joke. This thread is stupid though, seems to be for real audiopeeling, were we have to rewire our whole house for the cleanest power signal.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/202991-my-headphones-give-me-a-headache/?p=2755406

Check this post out tho, it made me rage quit and go to Taco Bell.

Judas priest. Btw, did you catch the thread comparing Fiio E10 to Creative X-fi; that was so bad the mods deleted it because, hey, gotta maintain the circle-jerk utopia.

Plenty of time to wear your Shures sans cable.

Funny you should say that because I have been using my Shures in bed.