Can we game on Firepros and Quadros GPUs series ?

Ealdor

Hi,

Just a little question there: Can you just game on Firepros and Quadros Graphics cards ? I'd like to have some personal experience...

Will they be as powerful as Radeon HDs ou Geforce GTXs ?

I think I'm going to buy an AMD Firepro v4900, I'm doing mostly 3D renderings, video editing and after effects work... And a little bit of gaming.

Thank you !

While I can't say for FirePro as I am not sure at 100%.

Of course you can with your Quadro. You may want to install the GeForce drivers on your Quadro to get your graphic card optimized for gaming rather than CAD software, CUDA /GPGPU and 3D modeling software. No you cannot install Quadro drivers on a GeForce, if you wonder. The Quadro has features that the GeForce doesn't, and also, the FirePro and Quadro are designed to be under heavy load, 24/7, without problem, not so much for GeForce and Radeon. So, if you need a Quadro or FirePro, get them.

I think they run games, just not very well. I am however talking out of my ass.

Yeah they can both play games. Just don't expect to play them well.

Quadro 6000 can play on pretty good settings. But it's ridiculously expensive.

They are workstation cards, but they'll get by for gaming if you want to do that on the side.

Most of the gaming cards have excellent computational power these days...I would only consider Quadro if you are building a dedicated workstation....

If you are really serious about it consider the Tesla k20

If not I would just go with a gaming card... There were a few rumors that the 780 will use gk110, but take that with a pinch of salt

My friend has a FirePro card in his laptop, and it works just fine.

the drivers are only optimized for 3D rendering and CAD software, but other 3D applications will run just fine.

But don't expect it will be a lot better than a consumer card. consumer cards are getting optimized for games after allmost any driver release.

I do not know the exact performance of a buisseness card in a game, but it does the job.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Quadro and FirePro are built differently, they work great for intricate graphics like CAD and 3D Studio Max, but they are not very good at gaming or videos. You can watch videos with them, they just seem to struggle more and aren't quite as smooth. I am currently running a Quadro 4000 and it does great for my 3D work but for gaming it is not very good. Frame rates are much lower and glitchy.

Yeah they can both play games. Just don't expect to play them well. Quadro 6000 can play on pretty good settings. But it's ridiculously expensive. They are workstation cards' date=' but they'll get by for gaming if you want to do that on the side. [/quote']

Just to expand upon this...

Quadro's (and I believe FirePro's too) are based off the same GPU that's used in the consumer-level cards, however they come with added features such as more output options, better drivers, etc. Consequently you can game on a quadro, but you aren't going to get as good of a performance as a similarly priced GeForce/Raedon card. Just to put things into perspective, the high-end Quadro 6000 is based of a Fermi chip (not sure which specifically), the flagship K6000 is based off the Kepler GK104, despite costing significantly more than the GeForce equivalents.

Though what specific programs will you be running? From what I've seen Adobe programs don't support AMD cards (and OpenCL) at all, plus the performance benefit from getting a workstation card isn't as large with programs like PP and AE.

I'm just going to quote myself from this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/computer-hardware/graphics-cards/42318-quadro-and-gaming-video-cards

Quadro's are VERY similar to their GeForce counterparts. The main difference being the drivers and usually Quadro's tend to have more memory. Quadro's aren't terrible for games at all' date=' they're just not optimized. A Quadro K1000M will perform about the same as a GTX 640M in most games. Thing is, Quadro's are way more expensive than Geforce cards, making Geforce a better option for most consumers.
A quadro card isn`t ment for gaming. The quadro cards are used for example for video editing smile.png They perform horrible in a gaming scenario. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gp...Quadro+FX+4800
You do know the FX4800 is a card that came out in 2008 right? It's obsolete. Modern Quadro's will perform about the same or a tad worse than their GeForce counterparts while being way more expensive. Source? I have a Quadro and I play games on it. FarCry on high on 768x1366 (though I have a 1080p screen) and I'm getting ''decent'' framerates. Don't have software for it but I'm guessing something like 30. Quadro K1000M