NAS Build

Kaos

For that kind of price, is having a actual NAS not a cheaper option?

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

Hey guys I am in the process for choosing the parts for a NAS. If there is anything that I'm stuffing up by buying pls let me know 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=335516&action=wish_lists

You'd need another HDD (or a smaller SSD) to install FreeNAS since it will occupy the whole drive regardless of size... (If that's what you're planning)

You'd need another HDD (or a smaller SSD) to install FreeNAS since it will occupy the whole drive regardless of size... (If that's what you're planning)

I thought it ran off a USB drive?

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

I thought it ran off a USB drive?

It can (if paired with a capable motherboard)... But having a thumb drive stick out of the system at all times just looks ugly...

It can (if paired with a capable motherboard)... But having a thumb drive stick out of the system at all times just looks ugly...

You can get some pretty low profile type ones 

Hey guys I am in the process for choosing the parts for a NAS. If there is anything that I'm stuffing up by buying pls let me know 

What will you be doing with your system?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Never thought of that... (Haven't seen any low profile ones in the local market yet)...

Never thought of that... (Haven't seen any low profile ones in the local market yet)...

3... 2... 1... boop:http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ33-016G-B35-Cruzer-Flash-Drive/dp/B005FYNSZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407248027&sr=8-1&keywords=small+usb

Would be lovely and discrete! 

What modern motherboard doesn't support USB? You normally wouldn't see a USB drive plugged in through the back nor would I know why you would care how a NAS looks. You can get an adapter that turns the internal USB header to a female one like your case does if the motherboard doesn't already have one as many server grade motherboards do.

Unrelated note, you have might fabulous noodles! :3 This Corgi approves and also wants to nom them.

om nom nom

It's much better if your motherboard has an internal USB port.

I recommend installing it on a small (32GB) SSD. The reason being that the USB drive will get worn down over time (USB flash controllers are relatively dumb), and will need to be replaced. If you don't need every single SATA port, then I recommend installing it on an SSD, because the built-in wear leveling will basically eliminate the need to ever replace the boot drive.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I meant in physical shops in my area since online shopping is too bothersome here (in my country) with all the distrust (since that reveal when a gray-hat exposed that the encryption on one of the sites is only lip-service and not everyone has access to a credit card, or paypal)...

What OS are you using?

freenas

i was going to use a flash drive

What will you be doing with your system?

it will be storing MANY cad files an extensive music library and an extensive video library and there will be off site backups done for the cad files 

it will be storing MANY cad files an extensive music library and an extensive video library and there will be off site backups done for the cad files 

Will you be working with live data on the NAS, or is it just for archival/backup?

Will you be working with live data on the NAS, or is it just for archival/backup?

storing the video and music live on there and just backing up the cad files to the nas as well as another one in a different location

i was going to use a flash drive

I recommend using a small hard drive as they are more reliable than flash drives