I need help fixing my moms pc.

trainergames

Ok my moms pc is acting up,and it is really annoying her,it will be fine on start up,but after a while it will start lagging,like she will be typing a 30 words,and when she is done only 5 word have been typed and she has to wait for it to finish typing,also she will click on something and it will take a few second for anything to happen at all,then when it is suppose pop up something after she did something it also lags.

Just a simple reboot will fix it,and sometimes it will be fine for days,and sometime just a few hours before it happens agian.

I have Hardware Monitor running and i told her to tell me what the temps are next time she has the problem,i will let you guys know the temps next time it happens.

I did look at the temps while she is not having any problems her cpu is running at around 44c,and gpu is running around 33c.

Her pc is this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107707

With these upgrades:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103013

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125417

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Are you sure that it isn't the keyboard that is causing the problem?

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Are you sure that it isn't the keyboard that is causing the problem?

Yeah, it could definitely be something to do with the mouse and the keyboard, if there is a lag with both typing and clicking. 

May be some program is filling up the ram and when you restart, it empties your ram and until that program is used again it doesn't lag(just a guss). use task manager to monitor how much ram is being used.

Edit: and use resource monitor to monitor which program is using all the ram. if that is the problem 

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

sounds like the a program using to much cpu.

first thing i would check is.

open task manager  and click on processes tab

you should be able to see if a program in using lots of cpu. ..or lots of memory

sometime firefire and Google Chrome can slow your system down

it should show up ,on the processes tab

One thing i found was that with her pc running only  hardware monitor,task manager,and 2 copys of a browser based game,it is using half her ram,and 60%-100% cpu usage.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

if your still looking at the task manager window. on the processes tab

you can right click on the browser name and end task process

and that will shut that down.. then check if the system runs better

note

a cool little app. tells you when you cpu load goes up and down .

http://addgadgets.com/all_cpu_meter/

i told her to close them out next time it lags for her and to tell me what happens.

check your anit virus protection i had a problem with one of my client computers it was doing the same thing. the virus protect was taking up most if not all of the ram and the cpu when it ran in the background. You should try uninstalling it and see if thats the problem if it is you can aslways use- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download- its free this is what i tell all my clients to use on there computers.

It could be that it simply needs more RAM. Check the memory usage in task manager when it lags.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Run an anti-virus (malwarebytes anti-malware), Ccleaner (registry scan too). Then get back to us (this fixes most issues).

Also check to see if something is hogging CPU use.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Umm.......Guys i think i found out what was wrong....... look at this pic....

76360248.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

looking at the picture.

check your fans in your case.

you all so may want to stop some of those apps on your task bar. down by the clock.

they load up the cpu and ram

looking at the picture.

check your fans in your case.

you all so may want to stop some of those apps on your task bar. down by the clock.

they load up the cpu and ram

I will do that for her in the morning,but did you see the reallocated sectors count?

its ok....as long as the count does not keep going up

but doing a good, data  back-up. would not hurt

Great work. !! Here is an explanation of the re allocated sector count error which shows in your post : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. Could you provide a post for your other drive K: as well.? Your troubles with your moms system are solvable..but you will have to make some choices as to how you want to fix them. Your system temps are within a acceptable margin and the slow , sluggish response can be a number of issues piled one on top of another...but the main trouble is the condition of the HDD's on the system.

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Great work. !! Here is an explanation of the re allocated sector count error which shows in your post : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. Could you provide a post for your other drive K: as well.? Your troubles with your moms system are solvable..but you will have to make some choices as to how you want to fix them. Your system temps are within a acceptable margin and the slow , sluggish response can be a number of issues piled one on top of another...but the main trouble is the condition of the HDD's on the system.

Well drive K: was just an extranal drive i was using to move the programs i needed to run over to her pc,it has only 1 reallocated sector and is an old WD 60GB.

Also with a reallocated sectors count of over 3 million...how long do you think the drive has till it will die?

I will be helping her back up in the morning.

I will be going trough my old drives to try and find a placeholder drive till i can afford to get her a new drive,you guys have any suggestions on a cheap but good drive?

All those programs that you have on autostart isn't really helping, so as somone suggested above you should stop the ones you don't really need to have running all the time. Easiest is if you usa a program like revo uninstaller or CCleaner to block them from launching on start up.

As for the issue at hand, it sounds to me as if you are either full on ram, or that your hard drive is full/backed up.

In addition to the cpu monitoring softwhare, you might want to check out http://addgadgets.com/drives_meter/ that keeps track of your drives.

Your Mom should be very proud of the work you are doing.. :) 

As too how long the drive will last..how long is a piece of string..?..there is only one right answer..The hope is it is as long as needed..

I would recommend a SATA drive 3gb per second  interface with 500 Gb to no more than 750 Gb  size . I am partial to Seagate , but Western Digital make them as well..Great Job..and keep at it !! 

Do a chkdsk upon startup to rule out any hard drive problems. If not, go after simple things first. Scan and remove malware while in safe mode. Use a different mouse/keyboard. Unplug the optical drive. Make sure there are no warning signs in the device manager. After that you will have to narrow your scope to more complicated things, like checking memory or temporarily using another fresh harddrive and installing windows to see how it runs.

Good luck.

Your Mom should be very proud of the work you are doing.. :)

As too how long the drive will last..how long is a piece of string..?..there is only one right answer..The hope is it is as long as needed..

I would recommend a SATA drive 3gb per second  interface with 500 Gb to no more than 750 Gb  size . I am partial to Seagate , but Western Digital make them as well..Great Job..and keep at it !! 

She is,plus i am glad to help her since she has help me out a lot with other things.on top of about to be getting her a new hard drive,about a year ago her 8500GT i had lying around and had put in there for her,blew 3 of it's 4 caps(i am considering fixing it)and i bought her a 7750 for around $100 and gave her a 400w psu i was not using at the time,but i did keep the game that came with her card lol.

Also looking at hard drive i could either get her a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Caviar Blue,is there any reason to get one over the other,or would it not really matter?

They have the same warranty and I think they also have the same 16mb  cache for the size..the larger capacity Seagates move the cache up to 32 mb ..but it should just come down to the best price.Good Luck with the HDD swap..and let us know how the system responds.There will be some further work needed with your mother's system..but one step at a time...Good luck.  

They have the same warranty and I think they also have the same 16mb  cache for the size..the larger capacity Seagates move the cache up to 32 mb ..but it should just come down to the best price.Good Luck with the HDD swap..and let us know how the system responds.There will be some further work needed with your mother's system..but one step at a time...Good luck.  

Well both drive are the same price lol.

I will swap with a place holder drive as soon as i can,cause idk how long till i can get a new drive,but i will let you know how it goes.

Yes please let us know how it works out

Yes please let us know how it works out

I will.

I do have one question,my mom wants to keep vista(cause it came with the pc and she likes it)so the best way would be to clone the OS to the place holder drive and then do a factory reset,then remove all the bloatware,and then do the same with the new drive when it comes in?

Also what would be a good program to do that with?