[TPU] AOC 24-Inch G-SYNC Monitor

Accursed Entity

From TechPowerUp's article: AOC Speeds Up Gaming with the g2460Pg 24-Inch G-SYNC Monitor

An ultra-smooth refresh rate of 144 Hz, an outstanding response time of only 1 ms and super-fast DisplayPort input enhance the experience even further, effectively eliminating motion blur and screen tearing. In order to create a perfect environment for gamers, the g2460Pg boasts a Full HD widescreen TN panel with the ideal gaming size of 24" (61 cm).

The g2460Pg's impressive performance does not come at the cost of sustainability. It comes with the intelligent software solutions Eco Mode and e-Saver to drive down energy consumption. The display also fulfills strict regulations such as EnergyStar 6.0 and TCO 6.0. As with all of its monitors, AOC offers a 3 year warranty with on-site exchange service.

MSPR: £369/419 Euro

*You can read the full info at TechPowerUp's article.*

AOC_g2460Pg_01.jpg

AOC_g2460Pg_02.jpg

My opinion, is nice to see these g-sync monitors become available, I am truly interested to see how they will perform once they're released to the public. However, what I'm not comfortable is the huge price tags these monitors have. Sure, it's g-sync, but does that really adds to the value of such price? I'm intrigue to know what you guys think of it, not just this monitor, but your opinion on g-sync value as well.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

$600 so similar to probably the cheapest 4K monitor? ~$600?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

G-Sync was exciting at first, but it's taking so long for monitors to come out that people have started to lose interest. Also, with FreeSync or whatever it is being put into DP, it might become completely irrelevant. 

I thought it was 1440p :(

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Isn't Freesync set to steamroller G-Sync soon by becoming the standard?

think so. 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Eh this type of implementation for gaming monitors is great and stuff. But it don't seem to be that earth-shaking to be a much of an innovation.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

oh look another "released" product that I can't buy anywhere yet.....really tired of press releases that aren't synced with ACTUAL product releases/availability

A bit expensive for 1080p, should have been 1440.

And the 1440p ROG one is $799... costing as much as a 4K monitor.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

And the 1440p ROG one is $799... costing as much as a 4K monitor.

That's because there are hardly any 1440p monitors: All vendors spend their money in premature 4k manufacture instead even if it means a downgrade in quality and close to absolutely no support for content. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Now that Adaptive sync is a superior industry standard, there's really no need for G-sync anymore. I do wonder how long it will take for nvidia to support adaptice sync?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That's because there are hardly any 1440p monitors: All vendors spend their money in premature 4k manufacture instead even if it means a downgrade in quality and close to absolutely no support for content. 

True, I feel like they're trying too hard on 4K monitors instead of working on more affordable 1440p monitors.

True, I feel like they're trying too hard on 4K monitors instead of working on more affordable 1440p monitors.

I don't even need that. I just want a refreshed model of the PB278Q. :P

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Isn't Freesync set to steamroller G-Sync soon by becoming the standard?

No, because it will still require a hardware upgrade separate from using DP 1.2a. A monitor having an available DP 1.2a port does not mean the monitor will support Freesync. I don't have the link handy, but I've provided it before, it was a post from a higher up at ASUS talking about why they were backing G-Sync over Freesync. Long story short, both technologies require special hardware and will customers will have to pay for that hardware. But G-Sync is market ready, but Freesync is not and will be another year or more until Freesync monitors are available.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

No, because it will still require a hardware upgrade separate from using DP 1.2a. A monitor having an available DP 1.2a port does not mean the monitor will support Freesync. I don't have the link handy, but I've provided it before, it was a post from a higher up at ASUS talking about why they were backing G-Sync over Freesync. Long story short, both technologies require special hardware and will customers will have to pay for that hardware. But G-Sync is market ready, but Freesync is not and will be another year or more until Freesync monitors are available.

Indeed, however adaptive sync is a superior technology compared to g-sync. The latter has 750mb of bufferram built in to the monitor, which means it creates frame latency, which is not there on adaptive sync. It also means it will add a hefty price premium to the monitor. As it requires this proprietary nvidia scaler with built in ram, it will also only be implemented into few models/brands. So less competition and selection. Adaptive sync monitors can use the manufacturers own scaler and will be given to reviewers in about august-October, and will hit the market january 2015. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I don't even need that. I just want a refreshed model of the PB278Q. :P

You and I can but *giggles* not everyone can afford it you silly goose. :P

lets not count g sync out yet. We really don't have solid proof, at least to my knowledge, how well g sync and free sync will compare to each other. For all we know, G sync could produce better results.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Indeed, however adaptive sync is a superior technology compared to g-sync. The latter has 750mb of bufferram built in to the monitor, which means it creates frame latency, which is not there on adaptive sync. It also means it will add a hefty price premium to the monitor. As it requires this proprietary nvidia scaler with built in ram, it will also only be implemented into few models/brands. So less competition and selection. Adaptive sync monitors can use the manufacturers own scaler and will be given to reviewers in about august-October, and will hit the market january 2015. 

I wouldn't be so hasty with such thoughts,  Just because adaptive sync has become a standard does not mean that it will be a base feature on every monitor/tv.  It took years before HDMI became standard on monitors and tv, on top of that there is no guarantee that you won't be paying exactly the same premium to get adaptive sync as you do to get G-sync.  And were not even considering what the real world results are in games, for all we know when we finally get both technologies they might end up sucking hard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That green color...why...that'll alienate so many buyers that care about the aesthetics of their set up!

What a poor choice.

Also...over priced. I mean I get why, new technology and early adopter tax. But still. I don't think it's worth that.

G-Sync was exciting at first, but it's taking so long for monitors to come out that people have started to lose interest. Also, with FreeSync or whatever it is being put into DP, it might become completely irrelevant. 

Now that Adaptive sync is a superior industry standard, there's really no need for G-sync anymore. I do wonder how long it will take for nvidia to support adaptice sync?

FreeSync and Adaptive Sync are not the same thing.

They're not really more affordable, if I'm not mistaken it doesn't really cost anything more to produce 4k panels over 1440p.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I wouldn't be so hasty with such thoughts,  Just because adaptive sync has become a standard does not mean that it will be a base feature on every monitor/tv.  It took years before HDMI became standard on monitors and tv, on top of that there is no guarantee that you won't be paying exactly the same premium to get adaptive sync as you do to get G-sync.  And were not even considering what the real world results are in games, for all we know when we finally get both technologies they might end up sucking hard.

I am certian that adaptive sync will be included in almost no tv's, as they generally do not use display port. I also do not believe adaptive sync will be implemented in every monitor anytime soon. However: Adaptive sync is a fairly easy to implement (as Huddy said in an interview, a standard non AS monitor could be firmware updated to support, albeit at a very small hz interval (40-60hz)), meaning that only small changes to the manufacturers scaler is necessary. Because of this, and that you do not need to add 750mb of monitor ram (sounds so dumb), makes AS a lot cheaper to implement. There does not seem to be any downside to AS, except maybe a price jump for tech introduction.

The results of G-sync has been proven. As AS and g-sync works the same way, by utilizing variable v blanks, the result is identical, sans the frame latency introduced in g-sync.

FreeSync and Adaptive Sync are not the same thing.

Adaptive sync is the DP 1.2a hardware standard. Freesync is AMD's codeword for the tech, and may continue to be the branding of their software/driver implementation of AS.

They're not really more affordable, if I'm not mistaken it doesn't really cost anything more to produce 4k panels over 1440p.

Oh, well, I stand corrected then. I'd like to read more on the subject, do you remember where you read it or all I need is google?

Oh, well, I stand corrected then. I'd like to read more on the subject, do you remember where you read it or all I need is google?

I've seen it mentioned in a few places but I can't remember where. I think Linus commented on it during one of the WAN shows but it was on one of his rants so...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I am certian that adaptive sync will be included in almost no tv's, as they generally do not use display port. I also do not believe adaptive sync will be implemented in every monitor anytime soon. However: Adaptive sync is a fairly easy to implement (as Huddy said in an interview, a standard non AS monitor could be firmware updated to support, albeit at a very small hz interval (40-60hz)), meaning that only small changes to the manufacturers scaler is necessary. Because of this, and that you do not need to add 750mb of monitor ram (sounds so dumb), makes AS a lot cheaper to implement. There does not seem to be any downside to AS, except maybe a price jump for tech introduction.

The results of G-sync has been proven. As AS and g-sync works the same way, by utilizing variable v blanks, the result is identical, sans the frame latency introduced in g-sync.

Adaptive sync is the DP 1.2a hardware standard. Freesync is AMD's codeword for the tech, and may continue to be the branding of their software/driver implementation of AS.

I think it'll show up a lot sooner, as monitors with newer versions of DisplayPort will have it as standard kit. There'd really be no reason not to have it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler