How to clean new radiator

Go to solution Solved by loccilucas,

Hello,

I have seen in a youtube video a long while ago and a a person actually said to clean the radiator before first use as there maybe some kind of dirt from factory.

So may I know how to clean it ? Can i just take some distilled water which is warm and use it to clean ?

note : the tap water in my country is not clean and is not distilled [malaysia]

Yeah just flush distiller water threw it a couple times before you use the rad.

Hello, 

I have seen in a youtube video a long while ago and a a person actually said to clean the radiator before first use as there maybe some kind of dirt from factory.

So may I know how to clean it ? Can i just take some distilled water which is warm and use it to clean ? 

Hello,

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

This. 

The reason for it is that there's usually a few flakes of paint or debris from it's manufacturing process stuck inside the radiator. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If it is an Alphacool or Phobya rad, then you might need a stronger clean (vinegar (1:10 by volume in distilled water) followed by a bicarbonate flush to raise pH back to neutral. If you intend on using Mayhems Pastel or Aurora, then their Blitz cleaning kit is recommended with these rads.

For every other rad, a hot water flow followed by a few flushes of distilled water is enough.

If it is an Alphacool or Phobya rad, then you might need a stronger clean (vinegar (1:10 by volume in distilled water) followed by a bicarbonate flush to raise pH back to neutral. If you intend on using Mayhems Pastel or Aurora, then their Blitz cleaning kit is recommended with these rads.

For every other rad, a hot water flow followed by a few flushes of distilled water is enough.

I use xspc rx and ex rads.

I've got two Alphacool 480mm radiators, are they known for being particularly dirty compared to other brands or something? 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I use xspc rx and ex rads.

XSPC uses bath sonication to clean up excess solder flux and any other impurities nicely. A good flush should be fine for you. If using a coolant that is pH sensitive (typically colored coolants), see if you can measure the pH of the loop and try to get it as near neutral (6.5-7.25 is a good range) as possible.

I've got two Alphacool 480mm radiators, are they known for being particularly dirty compared to other brands or something? 

Afraid so, they make great low fpi rads but their quality control is pretty atrocious. Other than the usual bent fins, some rads have come dented and pretty much all of them have excess flux. If you are using just distilled water + antimicrobial, then simple flushing with distilled water should be ok. If not, see my first post above.

XSPC uses bath sonication to clean up excess solder flux and any other impurities nicely. A good flush should be fine for you. If using a coolant that is pH sensitive (typically colored coolants), see if you can measure the pH of the loop and try to get it as near neutral (6.5-7.25 is a good range) as possible.

Afraid so, they make great low fpi rads but their quality control is pretty atrocious. Other than the usual bent fins, some rads have come dented and pretty much all of them have excess flux. If you are using just distilled water + antimicrobial, then simple flushing with distilled water should be ok. If not, see my first post above.

I am using EC6 XSPC Coolant. Can I just start using it after a flush ?

I don't have any experience with that coolant but it should be good for both the colored or colorless versions. As I said, best way to be sure if make sure the loop pH is neutral. After having done the leak check using distilled water, take it out and measure the pH if you can.

Luckily mine seem to be in great physical condition. I'll be using Ice Dragon Nanofluid. 

Waiting 24 hours to find leakage. I wanted to watercool my gpu but had a sticker on the screw which voids warranty if removed :-X :-/

post-85045-0-56028600-1403197022_thumb.j

post-85045-0-58544200-1403197236_thumb.j

post-85045-0-56028600-1403197022_thumb.j

post-85045-0-58544200-1403197236_thumb.j