Worth upgrading from a Performance Mouse MX?

79wjd

I currently have a Performance Mouse MX and I'm wondering if the difference would be very noticeable in gaming. I play a lot of FPS/mmorpg's--Titanfall, CoD, Battlefield, Borderlands, TF2, Dota, etc... 

I'm also considering the Logitech G502 simply because of size. The Performance Mouse MX fits nicely in my larger hands and I'm afraid the M65 may be too small. I'll try to get around to trying both out before buying....but that may not be an option. 

So, opinions on potential size issues and is there a noticeable difference in gaming between the mice--since from what I've heard, very high dpi's aren't even good. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Peripherals are just cosmetic in my opinion. Look at all the pro gamers.

Many of them game with a simple 3 button Microsoft mouse and a cheap keyboard and own nonetheless.

It's all personal preference.

Sure it does enhance your comfort/fun somewhat. but surely not performance.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

There would definitely be a noticeable difference going from a non gaming wireless mouse to a high performance wired gaming mouse like the G502. With that mouse there is a lot of lag especially if the wireless signal isn't strong, but if you currently are playing these games and you don't notice or care about that lag then I don't see much reason of upgrading other than for cosmetic, functionality (macro buttons) etc.

Just FYI:

I have used Logitech MX mouse in the past, and the the Logitech Proteus Core G502 is shaped like the G400S, not like the Logitech MX.

If you are going from a G400S to a G502, it is a no-brainer, but it would not feel like an MX.

The I finally (after 5 years) switched from a Logitech G7 Gaming Wireless mouse to the Corded G502, and it has been a dream.

Many of them game with a simple 3 button Microsoft mouse and a cheap keyboard and own nonetheless.

I mean, I'm not expecting to get better at a game just because I have a "better" mouse. But, it could make the experience more enjoyable and/or potentially give a bit of an edge--i.e. a high resolution mouse (in theory) should make sniping easier as you can make more accurate movements as well as have lower input lag. 

There would definitely be a noticeable difference going from a non gaming wireless mouse to a high performance wired gaming mouse like the G502. With that mouse there is a lot of lag especially if the wireless signal isn't strong, but if you currently are playing these games and you don't notice or care about that lag then I don't see much reason of upgrading other than for cosmetic, functionality (macro buttons) etc.

I haven't noticed an issue, but that doesn't necessarily mean one isn't there. I haven't really used any other mice, especially none that have a high resolution/low latency. So, its pretty much all I know, therefore good. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The G700s is freaking fantastic. That scrolling wheel...

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I'm using the Performance MX too, and I don't really have any complaints. I mean, it's not really a gaming mouse, but neither are those cheap OEM ones and people still use those

I'm using the Performance MX too, and I don't really have any complaints. I mean, it's not really a gaming mouse, but neither are those cheap OEM ones and people still use those

Like I said, I haven't had any issues with my MX either, but I'm questing whether or not a high resolution and lower latency mouse would be beneficial. I've been using the MX for quite some time now and don't notice either one of these "issues"--therefore I'm 'happy' with it. But, the question is still there....If I were to actually use a high resolution/low latency mouse for an extended period, would I notice a huge difference? 

And on that note, do high resolution sensors even matter all that much? From what I've been reading most people keep their dpi low anyway (under 1500--where the MX max's out at). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Peripherals are way more than just cosmetic but they don't magically make you a better/worse player. You can go around a racing track with any car but proper racing car will go around the track faster. Skill is the other part of equation. A skilled racing driver in a basic street car will beat a first timer in a racing car due to his skills, but the racing driver will demolish the first timer if he also had a racing car. It is much the same with proper peripherals.

After getting a chance to get to a best buy, I tried out the G502 Proteus. Unfortunately there was no M65 to try, but I think the 502 would be better anyway due to the fact that it has two top buttons (left finger buttons), which I think are amazing especially since I feel a bit uncomfortable using thumb buttons while trying to do something like follow a target and then knife (since the thumb is applying pressure parallel to the direction of motion--at least that my assumption as to why I find thumb buttons uncomfortable to use).

So, G502 proteus core vs. Performance mouse mx. Are the two distinguishable in games? Would one feel better/smoother/etc... Is it worthwhile to spend $80 to upgrade to the 502? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

G502 is the current pinnacle of gaming mouse tech but it depends on you if you can feel the difference or need all those features.