kaveri 7850K unstable with RAM at 2400Mhz

Dietrichw
Go to solution Solved by Dietrichw,

Thanks for the help guys. 

Just check to see if your memory is on the supported list for your mother board, that may be why it will only work at a lower frequency. 

You can also try one stick at a time. Put one stick in and try to OC it up to you the frequency you want. If it works, try the other one, you may have an issue with one of the sticks which is preventing you from being stable at the higher frequency.

I flipped through the install guide for my mobo and in the RAM section it recommended to use slots A2 & B2. I moved my RAM from A1 & B1 to A2 & B2. Now it works

doesn't make any flipping sense but hey, it works.

ASRock extreme4+

AMD 7850K iGPU 1024Mhz overclocked

Kinston Beast 2400Mhz 2x4GB

Win 7 64bit

Computer goes into a black screen or a bootloop of windows repair and bluescreens when RAM is set at 2400Mhz, 2133Mhz is stable. 

I used auto XMP timings and also tried manually entering timings without any luck.

Tried it with a Stock CPU ?

also Updated the Bios recently?

do you have the option to test the RAM in another system? You could have a bad stick, unlikely, but possible.

Why do you need ram that fast...it doesn't improve anything but benchmarks >.<

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why do you need ram that fast...it doesn't improve anything but benchmarks >.<

An APU will get better FPS in games with higher system RAM speeds. 

APUs benefit from higher speed memory.

It would benefit you more to upgrade that APU to something a lot better...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Tried it with a Stock CPU ?

also Updated the Bios recently?

I updated the bios last week, and I have tried it without any overclocks with the same result

ASRock extreme4+

AMD 7850K iGPU 1024Mhz overclocked

Kinston Beast 2400Mhz 2x4GB

Win 7 64bit

Computer goes into a black screen or a bootloop of windows repair and bluescreens when RAM is set at 2400Mhz, 2133Mhz is stable. 

I used auto XMP timings and also tried manually entering timings without any luck.

I would try a stock clock speed, and see if it is able to boot. 

As the memory controller is on modern CPUs, higher CPU frequency reduces the amount you can push the ram. 

if this doesn't work try running a memory test, like memtest86 to see if you have any issues with the RAM itself.

Good luck.

-ces160

That is easy to say, but you have to consider OPs budget, He may not able to afford an upgrade.

If so, getting the best performance out of the hardware he already has is his best option.

HSA is cool so that is reason enough and it is a low cost start that can be expanded later

It would also cost a lot more, faster memory is like an extra $5-10, a new CPU and motherboard is going to be 30x as much for any meaningful upgrade.

It would also cost a lot more, faster memory is like an extra $5-10, a new CPU and motherboard is probably 30x that for something good.

Yeah, well is it really important that it gets to 2400MHz? 2133 should not be that much worse, no?

Spoiler

Yeah, well is it really important that it gets to 2400MHz? 2133 should not be that much worse, no?

Probably not a whole lot, but that's beside the point.  He bought memory rated for 2400MHz and he's having trouble reaching those speeds so he's asking for assistance.

It would also cost a lot more, faster memory is like an extra $5-10, a new CPU and motherboard is going to be 30x as much for any meaningful upgrade.

The RAM was $80 and I wouldn't need a CPU or Mobo upgrade as I got the 7850K and a decent featured mobo. Not every single computer build needs to be an i7 and a GTX 780

The RAM was $80 and I wouldn't need a CPU or Mobo upgrade as I got the 7850K and a decent featured mobo. Not every single computer build needs to be an i7 and a GTX 780

I know, I was saying to the other guy that buying fast RAM doesn't cost much more than normal RAM, meanwhile upgrading performance via a more powerful CPU and a compatible board would be much more expensive.

As the memory controller is on modern CPUs, higher CPU frequency reduces the amount you can push the ram. 

if this doesn't work try running a memory test, like memtest86 to see if you have any issues with the RAM itself.

Good luck.

-ces160

I ran memtest86 without any issues

Good luck.

-ces160

I also don't have the CPU overclocked at all. Just the GPU

I also don't have the CPU overclocked at all. Just the GPU

Just check to see if your memory is on the supported list for your mother board, that may be why it will only work at a lower frequency. 

You can also try one stick at a time. Put one stick in and try to OC it up to you the frequency you want. If it works, try the other one, you may have an issue with one of the sticks which is preventing you from being stable at the higher frequency.

when the board says it supports 2400 it says (oc) overclocked, so unless you are pushing the bus speed multiplier (FSB) you wont hit 2400 even if your memory supports it.

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

Thanks for the help guys. 

I flipped through the install guide for my mobo and in the RAM section it recommended to use slots A2 & B2. I moved my RAM from A1 & B1 to A2 & B2. Now it works

doesn't make any flipping sense but hey, it works.