Best way to configure: 1x SSD and 1x HDD - using the Asus Z77 Bios

Go to solution Solved by solosdk,

Hi,

To answer your question, RAID has got nothing to do with what you want to do!

I would follow these steps in order to maximise the full potential of your PC as well as operate in the way you want it.

Installing Windows 7/8 on the SSD

1. Go to your BIOS. Navigate to the SATA configuration page (check motherboard manual). Set your SSD to AHCI mode. This is important! Leave the hard drive DISCONNECTED before installing Windows on the SSD so the computer won't get confused and to avoid lots of problems that could occur in the future.

2. Set the SSD as the first boot priority. Install Windows as you would.

3. Install all of your programs and such and just set the PC the way you want it.

Installing the secondary Hard Drive

1. Open up the PC, and install the Hard Drive. 

2. In the BIOS, make sure the hard drive is left the way it is, and make sure the BIOS didn't set the HDD as first boot priority by accident.

3. Load Windows from your SSD (just turn it on like normal)

4. Now in Start > Computer you will see your HARD DRIVE in the window. Open it like you would do like a flash drive and store your data on it.

Simples.

Hope I helped

So here is my situation.

I am in the final stages of assembling my first build, I only need to install the CPU and it will be up and running. However I have never navigated the BIOS before and don't want to kill a great system with bad configuration. I recently purchased a Seagate 2TB HDD and a Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD. I have never configured a system before, I don't want to screw it up. I want to put the OS and a couple of Apps/Games on the SSD and use the HDD to store the rest of the games/movies/music/pictures/other files.

Over the past month or so I have done some research into things such as Raid etc but none of these solutions seem to apply to my situation. Are there any videos/advice anyone can give me that will explain installing 1 SSD and 1 HDD on an Asus Z77 better?

Don't worry, it's not difficult. Also, don't be afraid to look around in the BIOS, you are very unlikely to break anything, when i set up my first PC I figured it all out myself with the help of the mainboard manual without any problems(make sure to hold on to that, if you threw it away you can download it from the Asus website) ;)

Use Sata port 0 and 1 for your drives, order doesn't matter

make sure all drives are detected, your CPU  is detected correctly and ALL of your ram is detected.

shut down

unplug HDD

turn on

set boot priority to SATA HDD or something like that

reboot

install windows & and of its lovely updates

shut down

connect your HDD

turn on

format the HDD and create a partition via "Computer Management - Disk Management"

That is pretty much everything you need to know, doN't be afraid of breaking something, you won't if you keep you think about every setting and read its desciption(BIOS AND MANUAL) before you change it.

I hope I helped :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Hi,

To answer your question, RAID has got nothing to do with what you want to do!

I would follow these steps in order to maximise the full potential of your PC as well as operate in the way you want it.

Installing Windows 7/8 on the SSD

1. Go to your BIOS. Navigate to the SATA configuration page (check motherboard manual). Set your SSD to AHCI mode. This is important! Leave the hard drive DISCONNECTED before installing Windows on the SSD so the computer won't get confused and to avoid lots of problems that could occur in the future.

2. Set the SSD as the first boot priority. Install Windows as you would.

3. Install all of your programs and such and just set the PC the way you want it.

Installing the secondary Hard Drive

1. Open up the PC, and install the Hard Drive. 

2. In the BIOS, make sure the hard drive is left the way it is, and make sure the BIOS didn't set the HDD as first boot priority by accident.

3. Load Windows from your SSD (just turn it on like normal)

4. Now in Start > Computer you will see your HARD DRIVE in the window. Open it like you would do like a flash drive and store your data on it.

Simples.

Hope I helped

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

Here are some images of my system thus far (yes I know the cooler isn't attached properly yet).

post-18950-0-90207400-1368075299.jpg

post-18950-0-70101300-1368075306.jpg

post-18950-0-94556500-1368075313.jpg

Nice system man!

I'd go ahead and follow my steps, finish your build off!

Please mark my answer as "solved" if i helped!

Thank you

I'll let you know when I finally get the CPU so I can implement your method, after that I will mark it as the solution. It may be a while though as I just bought 2x SP120 Fans from Corsair for the radiator intake and drive cage exhaust, white cable sleeving, to replace the stiff black ones that came with the PSU and a 20m CAT6 Ethernet Cable. This has put a slight dent in my budget for now, so it may be about a month before I have enough for the i7 3770K. :(

Thank you for your help though :)