Razer brand Overrated?

CharlieMR

Guys what do you think about the Razer brand? I got a Razer Naga and a Megalodon and work PERFECT but a lot of peopl over the Internets talk crap about it, what's your opinion?

Rig (laptop): MOUNTAIN GTM 17ivy, 17,3'' 1920x1080, i7-3630QM 2,4/3,4 Ghz 4c/8t 6Mb, 16GB RAM, RAID 0 120GB, NVidia GTX675 2GB.

Peripherals: Shitty Laptop cooler, Razer Naga (2010 Edition) and Razer Megalodon.

They are overrated because many people actually use them. Some of them have bad experiences with Razer products which results in them talking shit about Razer.

I personally feel Razer is an okay brand. Every kid in Singapore wants a Razer product though.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I dont mind razer but the more people buy them the more bad reviews they get its just how it works

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Its an okay brand for me, i do feel that they charge more than they should but whatever, no one forces me to buy their products so i dont really care

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

They are an ok brand, I doubt I'll buy another keyboard from them after this Black Widow though, can't go a day without it randomly decided to jam on a few keys and stay that way until its unplugged and plugged back it.

The people with bad experiences tend to speak more than the people with acceptable experiences. There for you always hear more bad than good...

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

I'm sort of a Razer fanboy but that's because they've never done me wrong. I love my Blackwidow and my Deathadder, I've seen no reason to change.

I absolutly love razer. All my peripherals are razer. I have the blackwidow ultimate 2013, Razer carcharias, Razer orbweaver, and the razer orachi, and once i finish my pc im going to get the razer naga epic. So yeah im a fanboy

Well all I know is that the Deathadder is one mean mouse in fps! (Good thing)

IMO the high end Razer products are where they excel, such as the BlackWidow Ultimate and Ouroboros Mouse.

The other cheaper alternatives in their range are not so crash hot.

IMO the high end Razer products are where they excel, such as the BlackWidow Ultimate and Ouroboros Mouse.

The other cheaper alternatives in their range are not so crash hot.

Have you ever tried a Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Pro? I have to say that it's significantly better than a BlackWidow Ultimate and it's only around $100 (I got mine for $70) although it doesn't have macro keys on the left side. Even then, the Cooler Master Storm Trigger is better (again, in my opinion) and yet it's still cheaper. Personally, I think that Razer is overrated because people go to them as "the gaming peripheral company" without considering any other option. It's like getting a Ferrari when you can get an Ariel Atom. The Atom is cheaper and has better performance, while the Ferrari has you paying out the wazoo for the name. I must say that Razer is quite spot-on with their mouses, though, but I wouldn't say that they're the best. I just think that other companies should be considered as well.

Have you ever tried a Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Pro? I have to say that it's significantly better than a BlackWidow Ultimate and it's only around $100 (I got mine for $70) although it doesn't have macro keys on the left side. Even then, the Cooler Master Storm Trigger is better (again, in my opinion) and yet it's still cheaper. Personally, I think that Razer is overrated because people go to them as "the gaming peripheral company" without considering any other option. It's like getting a Ferrari when you can get an Ariel Atom. The Atom is cheaper and has better performance, while the Ferrari has you paying out the wazoo for the name. I must say that Razer is quite spot-on with their mouses, though, but I wouldn't say that they're the best. I just think that other companies should be considered as well.

Yes I am well aquainted with the Quickfire Pro.

My reply to the topic at hand was regarding Razer products.  @CharlieMR never mentioned to suggest alternative products... I would of had a completly different answer.

Razer spends more money on packaging their products than they do on the products themselves. They do have a brilliant marketing team that knows how to push all the right buttons to get all the suckers out there to pay over $100 for a mouse that barely functions. I have owned many a Razer product and, eventually, all of them manage to piss me off in some way. The Mamba's scroll wheel died on me, the Vespula's control side sanded the feet off the Logitech G9x I bough to replace the Mamba, and an attempt to roll back to firmware that didn't suck bricked my BlackWidow Ultimate. On top of that, their Synapse software is either a nightmare or a bad joke. If you like sexy products, go ahead and throw your money away on Razer, but, if you like functional products, look elsewhere.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Razer spends more money on packaging their products than they do on the products themselves. They do have a brilliant marketing team that knows how to push all the right buttons to get all the suckers out there to pay over $100 for a mouse that barely functions. I have owned many a Razer product and, eventually, all of them manage to piss me off in some way. The Mamba's scroll wheel died on me, the Vespula's control side sanded the feet off the Logitech G9x I bough to replace the Mamba, and an attempt to roll back to firmware that didn't suck bricked my BlackWidow Ultimate. On top of that, their Synapse software is either a nightmare or a bad joke. If you like sexy products, go ahead and throw your money away on Razer, but, if you like functional products, look elsewhere.

See thats weird to me because ive never ever had a problem with razer. And they fixed alot of synapses problems recently or at least most of them

For me razer mice is pretty well done, although their previous keyboards (Blackwidow 2013 seems fine) were somewhat crappy.

You really do have to hand it to them for aesthetics though, i can't say that they don't look good, because they do.

I had a bad experience with Razer (my Electra's earcups didnt last a year) and yes, I think their products are a bit OP, maybe because a lot of people buy them lol

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k (4GHz OC) Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 760 2GB Reference Boot Drive: Plextor M6S 120GB

Data Drive: 2x mechanical drives PSU: SilverStone ST45SF Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX (modded w/ cpu+gpu watercooling)  :P

Razer does a really good job marketing and advertising their products. As a gaming company they contribute a lot into the e-sports society, which lets their name be heard by everyone who plays games. On a basic consumer level, they're doing a real good job getting customers to buy their products. Their products are good enough for people who just want "gaming peripherals that work. For a lot of people their products are great and they work fine, for others their products seem to just break down, and this is just the same as any other company that wants to sell its products to a population of basic consumers.

When you get into an "enthusiasts" level, however, that is when people start to notice the good and bad of many brands and products. For me, I am a sort-of enthusiast of keyboards. I've played with many keyboards, I own a couple of keyboards, and I've researched and read a lot on keyboards. As a keyboard fanatic I would say Razer keyboards are horrible, and they are overrated. But that is because I know their build quality, their manufacturer, their cost, and taking all other keyboards into consideration, the price you pay for a Razer keyboard is enough to get another keyboard with superior quality and durability. When I type on a BlackWidow and on a Ducky 9000G2 I can feel a difference, the Ducky construction quality is better than a BlackWidow, and I can get a Ducky keyboard at a lower price than a BlackWidow. Knowing all this I know Razer keyboards are overrated. I may be biased, but I've had hands-on experience on these keyboards and I just know.

Now, back to basic consumer level (which is the majority of the population) they will not know the difference in typing quality. They just know the Razer BlackWidow is a mechanical keyboard, Cooler Master has mechanical keyboards, Ducky has mechanical keyboards, and so on. They won't know the difference between keyboards manufactured in China or Taiwan. They won't know the difference iOne or Costar or any other keyboard manufacturer. To them it all feels the same. Some might even say the Razer BlackWidow feels better compared to a Ducky! I don't know. If they think Razer stuff is good, then go for it. I would say no (except for their mice and mouse pad) but if they want it then sure, go for it. If they are gaming, then it really doesn't matter, because they won't feel a difference assuming the keyboard works fine without breaking. How many pro-gamers actually know their peripherals and know their equipment to such in-depth detail? 

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

The only Razer product I've ever gotten was the Copperhead, while it was an excellent gaming mouse, the rubberized surface turned sticky and gooey after a while. Meanwhile, the Logitech G9 v1 that I had gotten years back, perhaps around the same time as the CH, perhaps a little later, is still alive and kicking. I use it as the weapon of choice for my 2nd rig. More practically designed with none of this rubberized surface nonsense, but unfortunately I do see a good number of KB's and mice using it. Been hearing a lot of crap about Razer as of late.......not sure if it's due to their market share penetration, or just crap products/material.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I have so far only owned one Razer product, but it has been a pretty good time. The Razer Orcas are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, I can wear them for days straight without any pain on my ears or head. The sound quality is not as good as simmilarly priced Sennheisers or so, but that is to be expected. A friend of mine has Razer mouse and keyboard and he is pretty happy with them and whenever I use them they are not bad at all.

I think Razer has a worse reputation than they deserve, but they are not my favorite company.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Razer as a brand is not overrated it's just overpriced for what you get when you buy one... i have a Razer abyssus for over 2 years and i love this mouse, i love the fact that you don't have to use Razers bad software for this mouse and you have all settings on the mouse itself, you can use if for what every game you want and it will never let you down.

Razer products look amazing, but as i said they are overpriced

Megalodon uses multiple sound drivers per ear cup, that is a bad thing, 1 bigger driver per ear cup would do much better, serious audiophiles know this ( i am not a serious one btw, but my uncle is a producer and an audiophile, and i have been recording some music when i was younger in a professional studio ), there are no gaming headsets/headphones, that is just a marketing trick, good headphone is a good headphone, and that is that, if you want 7.1 just use a virtual mode and you will get a much better sound, that is why i say any razer headset is a bad choice ( if they were a lot cheaper i would recomend them, because they are not bad headsets ) that is why i recommend Steelseries and Sennheiser

All that being said i hate the fact that my mouse has only 3 buttons, and most mice in that price range have 5 ( found some cheaper with 5 as well ), so you pay more and get less when buying Razer, most of ppl i know that have Razer peripherals love them, so i can't say they are bad, but even so when i am asked what to buy, i allways say go Logitech...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

@Opsilon said: "Megalodon uses multiple sound drivers per ear cup, that is a bad thing, 1 bigger driver per ear cup would do much better, serious audiophiles know this ( i am not a serious one btw, but my uncle is a producer and an audiophile, and i have been recording some music when i was younger in a professional studio ), there are no gaming headsets/headphones, that is just a marketing trick, good headphone is a good headphone, and that is that, if you want 7.1 just use a virtual mode and you will get a much better sound, that is why i say any razer headset is a bad choice ( if they were a lot cheaper i would recomend them, because they are not bad headsets ) that is why i recommend Steelseries and Sennheiser."

I got the Megalodon and it has got virtual surround sound 7.1 for laptops, no other brands got this. They are comfy and cool looking. And yes other brands may be cheaper but they are build in china not US and they are more likely to break, am I right?

Rig (laptop): MOUNTAIN GTM 17ivy, 17,3'' 1920x1080, i7-3630QM 2,4/3,4 Ghz 4c/8t 6Mb, 16GB RAM, RAID 0 120GB, NVidia GTX675 2GB.

Peripherals: Shitty Laptop cooler, Razer Naga (2010 Edition) and Razer Megalodon.

Razer is hit and miss with their mice sensors (though some are clearly top-notch)

Their build quality is just about the bottom of the barrel though, it really is poor.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It depends on the product. Many of there membrane keyboards suck, and I wouldn't recommend any of their audio equipment, but their Mamba 2012, Blackwidow lineup and Scarab mousepad are really impressive.

Razer is hit and miss with their mice sensors (though some are clearly top-notch)

Their build quality is just about the bottom of the barrel though, it really is poor.

They use other manufacturer's sensors, and their build quality is very good from what I've purchased. (see my signature)

Razer as a brand is not overrated it's just overpriced for what you get when you buy one... i have a Razer abyssus for over 2 years and i love this mouse, i love the fact that you don't have to use Razers bad software for this mouse and you have all settings on the mouse itself, you can use if for what every game you want and it will never let you down.

Razer products look amazing, but as i said they are overpriced

Megalodon uses multiple sound drivers per ear cup, that is a bad thing, 1 bigger driver per ear cup would do much better, serious audiophiles know this ( i am not a serious one btw, but my uncle is a producer and an audiophile, and i have been recording some music when i was younger in a professional studio ), there are no gaming headsets/headphones, that is just a marketing trick, good headphone is a good headphone, and that is that, if you want 7.1 just use a virtual mode and you will get a much better sound, that is why i say any razer headset is a bad choice ( if they were a lot cheaper i would recomend them, because they are not bad headsets ) that is why i recommend Steelseries and Sennheiser

All that being said i hate the fact that my mouse has only 3 buttons, and most mice in that price range have 5 ( found some cheaper with 5 as well ), so you pay more and get less when buying Razer, most of ppl i know that have Razer peripherals love them, so i can't say they are bad, but even so when i am asked what to buy, i allways say go Logitech...

A lot of their products are overpriced, but their Blackwidow Tournament Edition is a steal! $70 CAD for the best keyboard I've used, and their competition is priced in the $125-150+ range.