PSU Brands - Best To Worst

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

As you might guess by the title of this thread I'm wanting to know what the best PSU brands are down to the worst PSU brands. So, I's wondering if it would be possible for someone to come up with a definitive list of these PSUs ranking them from one being the best right down to 40 or so being the worst.

Here's an example of what I'm asking:

1. Seasonic

2. Corsair

right down to he last being the worst ones to get, like this:

40. Thermaltake

I hope that is easy enough to understand.

Thanks in advance,

Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

this is just going to start all kinds of arguments

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

you typically can't set entire manufacturers into general categories. Companies like Antec and FSP make some really amazingly high quality PSU's but might also make some pretty 'meh' ones as well. 

tl;dr Seasonic on a rampage

Error: 410

this is just going to start all kinds of arguments

Not trying to do that, if it does it just shows how immature people are.

you typically can't set entire manufacturers into general categories. Companies like Antec and FSP make some really amazingly high quality PSU's but might also make some pretty 'meh' ones as well. 

Thanks mate! I remember someone on here giving me a link to the tier rankings on a particular website, it was quite good.

Thanks mate! I remember someone on here giving me a link to the tier rankings on a particular website, it was quite good.

It was likely the list from Newegg forums, but they seem to be down atm.

Error: 410

The Seasonic S12II 530w is better than the Corsair CX430.

The Corsair TX 550w is better than the Seasonic S12II 530w.

The Rosewill Capstone is better than the TX 550w

The Seasonic KM3 is better than the Capstone.

Etc.

There isn't a definitive list on what brand is "better". It's a matter of what specific unit we are talking about. Here's another example. The Thermaltake Smart 750w is a mainstream unit that is based on the CWT PUQ-B design. Corsair>Thermaltake? Sure, except that the CX750M is also based on the PUQ-B design, but with a 85C Primary cap and Chinese secondary caps and a lower quality sleeve bearing fan (the TT uses 105C Japanese caps and a 2BB fan). There are a few platform that Corsair used in the past that was also used in some of TT units.

The tier list on Newegg is a bit all over the place. One example on top of my mind is that they list an OEM as "Tier 3" or whatever, and yet list another product that was made by them for another brand as tier 2 or even one.

The Seasonic S12II 530w is better than the Corsair CX430.

The Corsair TX 550w is better than the Seasonic S12II 530w.

The Rosewill Capstone is better than the TX 550w

The Seasonic KM3 is better than the Capstone.

Etc.

There isn't a definitive list on what brand is "better". It's a matter of what specific unit we are talking about. Here's another example. The Thermaltake Smart 750w is a mainstream unit that is based on the CWT PUQ-B design. Corsair>Thermaltake? Sure, except that the CX750M is also based on the PUQ-B design, but with a 85C Primary cap and Chinese secondary caps and a lower quality sleeve bearing fan (the TT uses 105C Japanese caps and a 2BB fan). There are a few platform that Corsair used in the past that was also used in some of TT units.

The tier list on Newegg is a bit all over the place. One example on top of my mind is that they list an OEM as "Tier 3" or whatever, and yet list another product that was made by them for another brand as tier 2 or even one.

So you believe that the list is a bit of a bias one?

So you believe that the list is a bias one?

Not exactly, but I didn't quite get why they classify some of them like they did. For example, why is the Cooler Master V series classified as a Tier 2 series, when the XFX ProSeries Black Edition is classified as Tier 1 along with the Seasonic X (which I'm presume to be both the KM2 and KM3 design)? The Cooler Master V series is based on the SAME Seasonic KM3 design internally just like the XFX ProSeries BE. In fact, the Cooler Master V series uses a better FDB fan than both, while the XFX (on the 750/850w unit) uses a lower quality 2BB than the one that was in the Seasonic. If there was a disadvantage in the CM V series it would be the lack of a switch for semi-passive cooling (where the fan does not speed at lower loads), and that can't be it, as the HCP Platinum is not a semi-passive design and it's in Tier 1 (I completely agree with the placement of this unit).

They put the Super Flower Leadex series as tier 2, and yet the Kingwin Lazer Platinum as Tier 1. What? The Lazer Platinum is a Super Flower Golden King internally which is worse than the SF Leadex line. The EVGA Supernova G2 is a Leadex design and put a notch below the original? In the same category as the NEX650G/750G?

The EVGA NEX1500 was indeed a completely disappointing unit, yes. However, does that Etasis build unit belong in Tier 3 with an entry level design such as the Corsair CX? While I would likely never recommend the NEX1500, it isn't THAT bad of unit to put it in the same category as the CX.

Hipro as Tier 4..? The RM 750/850 is made by Hipro and that's in Tier 2.

S/M12II Bronze in Tier 1? Huh? The S12II/M12II Bronze 380-620w is an entry level design with group-regulation. The 650-850w version is a mainstream design with DC-DC. It should not be near Tier 1 category (some of the other units that are based on these units were in Tier 2).

Not exactly, but I didn't quite get why they classify some of them like they did. For example, why is the Cooler Master V series classified as a Tier 2 series, when the XFX ProSeries Black Edition is classified as Tier 1 along with the Seasonic X (which I'm presume to be both the KM2 and KM3 design)? The Cooler Master V series is based on the SAME Seasonic KM3 design internally just like the XFX ProSeries BE. In fact, the Cooler Master V series uses a better FDB fan than both, while the XFX (on the 750/850w unit) uses a lower quality 2BB than the one that was in the Seasonic. If there was a disadvantage in the CM V series it would be the lack of a switch for semi-passive cooling (where the fan does not speed at lower loads), and that can't be it, as the HCP Platinum is not a semi-passive design and it's in Tier 1 (I completely agree with the placement of this unit).

They put the Super Flower Leadex series as tier 2, and yet the Kingwin Lazer Platinum as Tier 1. What? The Lazer Platinum is a Super Flower Golden King internally which is worse than the SF Leadex line.

The EVGA NEX1500 was indeed a completely disappointing unit, yes. However, does that Etasis build unit belong in Tier 3 with an entry level design such as the Corsair CX? While I would likely never recommend the NEX1500, it isn't THAT bad of unit to put it in the same category as the CX.

I think tier rankings must just be subjective then. What somebody thinks should go in tier 1 might go in tier 3 for somebody else. So I think there mustn't be any definitive list. I just would've thought that there would've been a general consensus on the tier rankings. But this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

1. Corsair
2. Seasonic
3 and so-on Other Brands.

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

Yep top of the line antec is kinda like corsair dominator ram, you get what you pay for but man are you going to have to pay for it. :P

Yowzah, if that list is any good, I have two Tier 1 PSU's (X-1250 and OP1000) and a couple of Tier 2 Classs A (two HX series).....not too shabby.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Brands doesn't matter at all. It's all about the OEM and specific components they used for each PSU line.

That said, if you want to know whether the PSU you are getting is good, check sites like jonnyguru or guru3d and look for detailed reviews.

Anyway, for the OEMs, I would say Seasonic, Delta, and Superflower are the most trustworthy ones.

It's funny how companies like Corsair who doesn't even design their PSU gets all the credit by putting stickers on stuff.

Two revolutionary dance tones

Brands can matter. For example, Corsair makes their mark by selling Seasonic PSUs cheaper than Seasonic does themselves and offering excellent customer service and technical support on top.

+1 for JonnyGuru. Before you buy any power supply you should check to see if they have a review on it or a similar product.

Guru3D isn't a good PSU review site. Using a cheap $20 PSU Tester that essentially put no loads on the PSU and other testing without a multimeter, ATE (load tester), oscilloscope, etc. Their technical analysis of the units internal is a bit lacking as it only provide a overshot view of it, without any sort of indication of what components had been used.

TechPowerUp, HardOCP, Jonnyguru, HardwareSecrets, Kitguru, etc are a few good PSU review site you can go with.

Guru3D isn't a good PSU review site. Using a cheap $20 PSU Tester that essentially put no loads on the PSU and other testing without a multimeter, ATE (load tester), oscilloscope, etc. Their technical analysis of the units internal is a bit lacking as it only provide a overshot view of it, without any sort of indication of what components had been used.

TechPowerUp, HardOCP, Jonnyguru, HardwareSecrets, Kitguru, etc are a few good PSU review site you can go with.

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. :D

Corsair makes the best psu EVAH!!   :P /s

Anyone has a sort of calculator for this kind of stuff, to find out what people should be buying? It'd be easier then making uncomparable tier lists to me...

The extremevision.com-link seems exhausted, so idk what else is trustworthy enough to people

Corsair makes the best psu EVAH!!   :P /s

WHAT?! That is total nonsense, Seasonic does you idiot! :P (just messin' with ya) :lol: