External mic for Nikon D5300

DoubleY

I haz teh Nikon D5300, but the built in mic is a poo-poo. You can hear the motor of the camera when it's focusing on something, can you can hear me changing the zoom (optical, not digital obviously :P

I am wanting to spend around $50, and I have no idea what'd be good or what's not good. 

I won't be buying immediately, due to the fact that I am still paying off my investment on the camera :P

Any half decent mic is gonna run you a lot more than $50.

Alright, how much would a good one cost then? 

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

What kind of mic are you looking to buy? What is your usage scenario?

Not doing anything professional, just home videos I guess. 

Yeah I wouldn't touch the PRO24CM with a ten foot pole. RØDE mics are definitely worth their higher pricepoint. The audioquality is top notch and they can take a beating if you need them to.

I'm also interested in this topic... What would be the price of entry for a mic then?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Alright, how much would a good one cost then? 

About $100-150

Rode recently came out with their VideoMic Go budget mic and its gotten some pretty decent reviews. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012003-REG/rode_videomic_go_videomic_go_on_camera_shotgun.html

Just be warned that because DSLR's have bad preamps and you may get some white noise. For a cheap fix you could use a portable headphone amp like the Fiio e6: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394497909&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+e6, but I would try the mic out before getting the amp.

I don't know how good the Fiio e6 works, but I've seen videos with people using older Fiio Headphone amps as mic preamps.

As for $50 mics the Audio Technica ATR6550 has gotten some decent reviews:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html, but It does not have shock mount and those usually cost around $30 to $50.  You could use it without a shock mount, but then you'd probably hear all the vibrations coming form the camera.

I think if you're attaching a Mic to a camera where you're adjusting settings on-the-fly, you're doing it wrong.

I think if you're attaching a Mic to a camera where you're adjusting settings on-the-fly, you're doing it wrong.

Second this. Probably better to record the sound completely separate from the camera, then combine them in your PC. You could do some re-mastering the audio data (add reverb, echo, EQ, etc) in PC. I'd imagine a cheapo digital voice recorder with clip on mic would be better than one single mic (with the same price of the digital voice recorder+mic) plugged into the camera. 

You'll need a clapper though, the one that movie directors use, to synchronize the audio and video flow. Don't have to be the exact same. Hell, you could just clap your hand in front of the mic and the camera :)

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2014 at 12:14 AM, TheDoubleYGamer said:

I haz teh Nikon D5300, but the built in mic is a poo-poo. You can hear the motor of the camera when it's focusing on something, can you can hear me changing the zoom (optical, not digital obviously :P

I am wanting to spend around $50, and I have no idea what'd be good or what's not good. 

I won't be buying immediately, due to the fact that I am still paying off my investment on the camera :P

Hi I have the same camera and I have an external mic but I always have mic hiss or static noise does anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be my mic is shenggu sg-108