Does taking and putting the CPU back into the motherboard affects TPM or data?

drih

So I have my PC with
Core i3-8100F
16GB

And as a part of Work From Home, we can take the office PC back home and it has
Core i7-8700
Quadro P400 (yes, P400)
16GB

Now, you've might guess it, I want to use the Core i7 in my PC because I think it would be better since I have better GPU and better cooling (not that it matter so much)
And if you ask why not put my 2060 to the office PC, because its case is small and the power supply is lower than mine. (the PC is OEM)

As the title has suggested, the office PC have TPM installed,

So, what would happen if I take the CPU out of the office pc's motherboard and use it on my pc's motherboard, and then for some time in the future when I have to return the pc, I put the CPU back into the office PC's motherboard?

• Will it somehow disturb its integrity?
  • Or is it going to be fine because TPM's job is only to make sure nothing breaks the system integrity and secure the data?

I've only read a little about TPM (so CMIIW), in short, it's basically for securing data with software and hardware capabilities like encryption, and I kinda feel it bounds to every hardware installed when the TPM was present.

EDIT:
The whole Office PC is OEM (HP)

27 minutes ago, drih said:

So I have my PC with
Core i3-8100F
16GB

And as a part of Work From Home, we can take the office PC back home and it has
Core i7-8700
Quadro P400 (yes, P400)
16GB

Now, you've might guess it, I want to use the Core i7 in my PC because I think it would be better since I have better GPU and better cooling (not that it matter so much)
And if you ask why not put my 2060 to the office PC, because its case is small and the power supply is lower than mine. (the PC is OEM)

As the title has suggested, the office PC have TPM installed,

So, what would happen if I take the CPU out of the office pc's motherboard and use it on my pc's motherboard, and then for some time in the future when I have to return the pc, I put the CPU back into the office PC's motherboard?

• Will it somehow disturb its integrity?
  • Or is it going to be fine because TPM's job is only to make sure nothing breaks the system integrity and secure the data?

I've only read a little about TPM (so CMIIW), in short, it's basically for securing data with software and hardware capabilities like encryption, and I kinda feel it bounds to every hardware installed when the TPM was present.

EDIT:
The whole Office PC is OEM (HP)

To my knowledge, that shouldn't affect the TPM I don't think since the TPM is its own little processor. Do you have the BitLocker recovery key just in case? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

As long as you don't boot the PC with TPM, it would be fine. 

If you do have to start the PC, I wouldn't take out the CPU... don't mess with it. Most likely the TPM module uses signatures / serial numbers from CPU and motherboard and maybe storage to produce some unique hashes/keys which are then used to do its job (unlock keys or whatever). 

Changing the cpu may cause the decryption to fail because the cpu has a different "signature" / "serial number" 

If you have a physical TPM module installed then nothing else matters. All cryptographic info is tied to the module itself.

If it's firmware/software TPM, ensure you have the BitLocker recovery key or turn it off before changing anything.

-アパゾ

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

To my knowledge, that shouldn't affect the TPM I don't think since the TPM is its own little processor. Do you have the BitLocker recovery key just in case? 

As far as I know we don't enable the BitLocker.

That's good to know.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

As long as you don't boot the PC with TPM, it would be fine. 

If you do have to start the PC, I wouldn't take out the CPU... don't mess with it. Most likely the TPM module uses signatures / serial numbers from CPU and motherboard and maybe storage to produce some unique hashes/keys which are then used to do its job (unlock keys or whatever). 

Changing the cpu may cause the decryption to fail because the cpu has a different "signature" / "serial number" 

What if I only use the CPU and then put it back (the office PC won't be turned on until I put the original CPU back in)?

1 hour ago, APasz said:

If you have a physical TPM module installed then nothing else matters. All cryptographic info is tied to the module itself.

If it's firmware/software TPM, ensure you have the BitLocker recovery key or turn it off before changing anything.

The PC has Physical TPM and as far as I know we don't enable the BitLocker, for Firmware/Software based TPM though, I'm not entirely sure, but since it's OEM it probably have one.

Since you have a physical TPModule. You can do basically whatever you want.

Just don't reset the BIOS or anything like that, it's a real pain the arse otherwise.

-アパゾ