Clarifaction needed for routers and modems

jamesrauser

I have a somewhat stupid question. My isp gave a modem router combo(Bec 8800n) that connect via phone line. My question is can I plug a router I bought from Walmart in to the wan port then be set? Obviously i would need to set up the network. Also if possible would connecting a high end router cause any problems. 

Yea that will work fine.

HIgh end router will probably only help with wifi speed a bit, won't help with wired speed for most users.

Try to turn the isp box into a passthrough mode, so it runs as a modem, so it doesn't has double nat.

A small caveat though, if you are also using VoIP through that ISP's router/modem combo, you probably won't be able to use bridge/passthrough...should still work though.

99% sure you would need to switch your additional router it to an AP mode, and plug it into a LAN port, the WAN port would be used if there was an external modem. 

19 minutes ago, Drok00 said:

99% sure you would need to switch your additional router it to an AP mode, and plug it into a LAN port, the WAN port would be used if there was an external modem. 

OP's talking about connecting from one of the combo's LAN connections to his additional router's WAN port I believe.

10 hours ago, Drok00 said:

Not necessary if the ISP device can be configured in bridge/passthrough mode.

Just now, Falcon1986 said:

Not necessary if the ISP device can be configured in bridge/passthrough mode.

I've been historically disappointed with the complete utter lack of features & settings available on ISP supplied equipment. if it does, I would be mightily impressed.