More GPU usage when idle on signe game

homeap5

Interesting problem - maybe not real problem, but still interesting.

I am not a gamer, I play some games, but mostly work on computer.

Usually when I play and I must use my computer, I pause game, switch to desktop and use browser or whatever I need in that moment (when, for example, someone call me and I need borwse internet). Then in most cases while game is paused and working in background, temperatures drops, fans speed drops etc. Normal.

Except WRC7 I play last time. Not so new game, so it not even uses my CPU and GPU in 100%, even with maximum settings (especially that I'm using Vertical Sync). Except when I pause game and bring browser to front (game is running his own fullscreen mode). Then in MSI Afterburner I see 100% GPU usage, fans speed increases etc. Nothing dangerous, but I'm curious - how it possible to made game that uses so much GPU power when is paused and not used? I didn't know it is even possible.

Some games simply don't really pause their game loop while in the background. So they will continue to run their simulation, send commands to the GPU etc.

Because the GPU is doesn't have to show anything frames are essentially done in zero time, so the game loop runs at "infinite" fps.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

59 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Some games simply don't really pause their game loop while in the background. So they will continue to run their simulation, send commands to the GPU etc.

Because the GPU is doesn't have to show anything frames are essentially done in zero time, so the game loop runs at "infinite" fps.

I suppose you're right. But what about vertical sync then?

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I suppose you're right. But what about vertical sync then?

I don't think vsync applies here, since the GPU isn't actually drawing anything. It receives commands, says "nothing to do" since there's no surface to draw on, the game loops one more time and immediately sends commands to the GPU again. This means its command queue is constantly filled, which is then interpreted as 100% usage.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply