Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
saif961

how big of an FPS increase will i see with the 3200mhz vs 4800mhz

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

im planning on getting an Z490i motherboard, would i see alot of FPS increase getting a 4800mhz then to the 3200mhz?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, and the 4800MHz kit will be about $200 more. Just get the viper steel 4400Mhz C19 kit and under clock it to around 3733 c14. 


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am guessing you are talking about memory? Officially the chipset only supports 2933 mhz. Of course with overclocking you can go further. The benefits are mostly in added memory bandwith, that does not translate to fps directly. You actually want 3600 - 3800 mhz ram but with the lowest CAS latency possible. 3600 CL16 would be pretty good and is actually not that expensive at the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

I am guessing you are talking about memory? Officially the chipset only supports 2933 mhz. Of course with overclocking you can go further. The benefits are mostly in added memory bandwith, that does not translate to fps directly. You actually want 3600 - 3800 mhz ram but with the lowest CAS latency possible. 3600 CL16 would be pretty good and is actually not that expensive at the moment. 

price is not an issue, what 16gb would give me the highest fps on the z490i?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't be able to run 4800MHz by just simply enabling XMP. 

And the difference will be maybe 5% extra performance on average. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, saif961 said:

You need to understand that while those kits can do 4800MHz, they are tested and validated only on very specific motherboards and they also assume that your CPU has already a lottery winning quality memory controller. Without all 3 of those, good luck achieving those speeds with just enabling XMP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, WereCat said:

You need to understand that while those kits can do 4800MHz, they are tested and validated only on very specific motherboards and the also assume that your CPU has already a lottery winning quality memory controller. Without all 3 of those, good luck achieving those speeds with just enabling XMP.

hmm.. so basically what do you recommend if the HyperX 4800mhz is a bad choice? what specific ram stick do you recommend if the price isn't in consideration? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, saif961 said:

Getting a $150 kit and burning the other $330 would be better, since it at least gives you something fun to look at.

You can get 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die 16GB kits for $100 nowadays. Or you can just get 4400 CL19, or something in that ballpark, that's also B-die, for a little bit more.

 

Regardless, I think you've got a false impression of how memory affects real-world performance. Though on that note, you haven't even mentioned what you plan on doing with your system and what other components you're using, other than "Z490i" which doesn't much.


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB, 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Mateyyy said:

Getting a $150 kit and burning the other $330 would be better, since it at least gives you something fun to look at.

You can get 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die 16GB kits for $100 nowadays. Or you can just get 4400 CL19, or something in that ballpark, that's also B-die, for a little bit more.

 

Regardless, I think you've got a false impression of how memory affects real-world performance. Though on that note, you haven't even mentioned what you plan on doing with your system and what other components you're using, other than "Z490i" which doesn't much.

just purely for gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, saif961 said:

hmm.. so basically what do you recommend if the HyperX 4800mhz is a bad choice? what specific ram stick do you recommend if the price isn't in consideration? 

anything from 3200CL14 to 3600CL16 or 3600CL14 will do fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, saif961 said:

just purely for gaming

...and what other components are/will you be using?

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jpH48d/gskill-memory-f43200c14d16gvk

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/McH48d/gskill-trident-z-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr3-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-16gtzkw

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vVVD4D/patriot-viper-steel-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-4400-memory-pvs416g440c9k

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2Cdrxr/gskill-trident-z-neo-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c14d-16gtznb

 

Though once you go over $160, you might as well just look into 2x16GB kits. Granted you'll have less leeway in terms of overclocking, since that'll be harder on the IMC, but the extra capacity will be more useful in the long run.


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB, 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one of the kits I have.

4267mhz cl 19. 129$

Itll do whatever you want it to do.

So long the memory controller plays nice.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-20-232-472


- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! 

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×