Laptop not displaying anything but fans are running at full speed!

Infow27

So I got a prompt to update my Win 10 version, I left it to update overnight, I must have not plugged it in and the battery was low during the time of the updates, So I woke up to a dead laptop, plugged it in and now it does not display anything but the fans run at full RPM.

HP Notebook - 15-af114au

Video link to the exact issue https://imgur.com/eM8Jg9R (Please un-mute the audio to listen to the fans)

Thanks

Have you tried holding down the power button for around 10 seconds? It should shut off completely and you can try to reboot.

BEWARE: if it died in the middle of the update, you might need to reinstall. I don't know if you can repair it.

Just now, fuzz0r said:

Have you tried holding down the power button for around 10 seconds? It should shut off completely and you can try to reboot.

BEWARE: if it died in the middle of the update, you might need to reinstall. I don't know if you can repair it.

Tried 10,15 and 30s, tried pressing the Win + B, Win +V key too. 

Does it have a removable battery? That would be my last ditch effort.

Do you not even get a POST message?

if I remember correctly on HP laptops where you plug in the power there's a little LED. Does it blink when you try to turn on the laptop?

1 minute ago, fuzz0r said:

Does it have a removable battery? That would be my last ditch effort.

Do you not even get a POST message?

if I remember correctly on HP laptops where you plug in the power there's a little LED. Does it blink when you try to turn on the laptop?

Yup it has a removable battery and yes the LED next to the Power Plug lights up.

Edit: Yes I get the usual click/beep as soon as I press the power button.

Just now, Infow27 said:

Yup it has a removable battery and yes the LED next to the Power Plug lights up.

Does the LED blink? Usually you can find error codes via the blinks.

1 minute ago, fuzz0r said:

Does the LED blink? Usually you can find error codes via the blinks.

No actually its just a static white light.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Did you check the video he posted? It lights up permanently white and the laptop doesn't display anything.

I was referring to the LED near the power plug.

3 minutes ago, Infow27 said:

No actually its just a static white light.

I think you may have a dead laptop.

So was I because that's the only LED you get to see.

Yeah, I'd agree that it's dead. But I doubt that it was the Windows update because I've never heard of that actually bricking a laptop.

Welp looks like its time to upgrade then, atleast I can pull out my HDD to recover the data.

Let's take a few steps back.

The cause for such an issue shouldn't be a failed Windows update. It should always display a picture, even if it just shows something along the lines of "insert boot device".

So, in that case you got a few troubleshooting steps you can take that are fairly simple.

Important: While you're doing all of this, remove the power supply.

1. Remove battery
    Simply remove the battery to take that out of the equation, if it is easily removeable.

2. Remove boot device
    You should be able to remove the harddrive from the system. It's not needed to be able to display a picture.

3. Reset CMOS
    You can reset the CMOS (the BIOS configuration) by removing the CMOS battery. You will most likely need to open up the laptop.
    Then somewhere there is a little round battery hidden somewhere. Depending on how it is mounted, you might need a flat head screwdriver to take it out.
    If you've taken it out, leave it out for now.

Afterwards plug the power supply back in and start the machine and hope for the best.

Anything displayed on the screen would be a good sign.

12 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The cause for such an issue shouldn't be a failed Windows update. It should always display a picture, even if it just shows something along the lines of "insert boot device".

So, in that case you got a few troubleshooting steps you can take that are fairly simple.

1. Remove battery
    Simply remove the battery to take that out of the equation, if it is easily removeable.

2. Remove boot device
    You should be able to remove the harddrive from the system. It's not needed to be able to display a picture.

3. Reset CMOS
    You can reset the CMOS (the BIOS configuration) by removing the CMOS battery. You will most likely need to open up the laptop.
    Then somewhere there is a little round battery hidden somewhere. Depending on how it is mounted, you might need a flat head screwdriver to take it out.

Afterwards plug the power supply back in and start the machine and hope for the best.

Unfortunately I guess its dead. Tried this and it does the same thing/ 

15 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

1. Remove battery

2. Remove boot device

3. Reset CMOS

I just pulled out the RAM Stick, It now beeps ans the Caps Light keeps blinking. 

Is it my RAM possibly? The keyboard was not lighting up previously.

1 minute ago, Infow27 said:

I just pulled out the RAM Stick, It now beeps ans the Caps Light keeps blinking. 

Is it my RAM possibly? The keyboard was not lighting up previously.

Could be, but also could be that there is a lose connection, which you temporarily fixed by pulling on the stick or something.
Try different RAM configurations and make sure all connections are still good.

Do you have any replacement stick to test? If it seems to do something now that might as well be it.

I have a few RAM Sticks lying around but sadly those are the full size PC Sticks.

That could be an issue as his stock configuration only has 1 stick with 4GB. I don't even know if the motherboard has a second slot as the APU doesn't even have dual-channel support. It's DDR3-1866 single-channel. If it has two slots, I would try and put the RAM module in the other slot and see if that might work, otherwise it might just be that the RAM stick failed.

My laptop has two slots,tried switching doesn't work. This laptop is pretty much done, it's scratched up pretty badly so I might as well get a new one.