F@H Causes Total System Crash

JefeB
Go to solution Solved by Parideboy,
31 minutes ago, JefeB said:

Not really, minimal auto OCing on the CPU via ASUS BIOS, XMP on the RAM, and like 7% using Afterburner for the GPU. It's pretty much stock, as I'm a noob OCer. In fact, I'm such a noob that setting threads to dedicated tasks sounds like Greek to me.

It's not that hard, F@H client has a build in feature for that.

Right click on the F@H icon in the taskbar -> 'Advanced Control'

'Configure' -> 'Slots'

select cpu -> 'edit'

under 'CPUs' you should put the number of threads that the cpu should use, in your case that will be 22

Click ok and you're done

If this doesn't help, you can try lowering the priority of the folding processes

From the 'Configure' window -> 'Advanced' -> 'Folding Core Priority' and set it to lowest possible

If you're still experincing lag, you can try to lower the thread count even further. I'm pretty positive the lag is caused by the CPU usage

I'm myself folding 24/7 (with an abysmal build compared to yours) and I can work just fine. That being said, I RDP into servers, not an heavy workload by any means.

Today I downloaded and installed the F@H client on my PC and followed the steps to join team LTT. About 5-10 minutes in my computer completely shut down. I restarted it and there was major lag that lasted until I uninstalled F@H.

I'm running a Ryzen 3900X, 2080 Super, 32GB RAM, all attached to a Crosshair Formula VIII and an 850W Gold PSU in an O11 XL with 10 fans (6 intake and 4 exhaust) and an H150 AIO.

I'd love to contribute, but can't have it brick my PC in the process. Anyone have any tips/tricks on how to participate?

the lag could be because it was running in the background.

yes even if you have a very good pc folding in the background will cause your games to run slower.

i used it while i was studying from home, since my pc didn't need to use my gpu.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, flashiling said:

the lag could be because it was running in the background.

yes even if you have a very good pc folding in the background will cause your games to run slower.

i used it while i was studying from home, since my pc didn't need to use my gpu.

So my best bet would be to set it up to only fold overnight or something like that?

Any OC applied? F@H can be picky when it comes to system stability

As for the lag, F@H should start at boot in the last state it was in. So if it crashed while folding, it will fold at startup.

The correct setup should be to leave one thread for each gpu that is folding, and another one for the OS.

Generally speaking:

Total threads - (1 + (1 * folding gpus) = Threads to use in the CPU slot

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, JefeB said:

So my best bet would be to set it up to only fold overnight or something like that?

personally i dislike having my computer run over night (probably because my room is small and goes from 16° to 30 when it's on).

what i'd do is maybe start one fold when you get home from work, then do your chores and such and maybe check if it's finished after 15 min, if yes, start another one and finish dialy routine, and just stop the folding when i need the performance.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

As for the lag, F@H should start at boot in the last state it was in. So if it crashed while folding, it will fold at startup.

The correct setup should be to leave one thread for each gpu that is folding, and another one for the OS.

Generally speaking:

Not really, minimal auto OCing on the CPU via ASUS BIOS, XMP on the RAM, and like 7% using Afterburner for the GPU. It's pretty much stock, as I'm a noob OCer. In fact, I'm such a noob that setting threads to dedicated tasks sounds like Greek to me.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

personally i dislike having my computer run over night (probably because my room is small and goes from 16° to 30 when it's on).

what i'd do is maybe start one fold when you get home from work, then do your chores and such and maybe check if it's finished after 15 min, if yes, start another one and finish dialy routine, and just stop the folding when i need the performance.

Thanks. Resource management seems like the most simple way to go about it, but I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or temperature issue.

Just now, JefeB said:

Thanks. Resource management seems like the most simple way to go about it, but I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or temperature issue.

you've got an insane system, i refuse to belive you'll have temp issues :).

and good on you for wanting to help,

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

you've got an insane system, i refuse to belive you'll have temp issues :).

and good on you for wanting to help,

Thanks. I started tinkering as a teenager and maintaining office PCs for work later on. When I got the itch to build my own, I figured go big or go home 😛. Part of why I wanted to help is because I know she's a beast, and was quite honestly surprised that she couldn't handle it in the BG.

1 minute ago, JefeB said:

Thanks. I started tinkering as a teenager and maintaining office PCs for work later on. When I got the itch to build my own, I figured go big or go home 😛. Part of why I wanted to help is because I know she's a beast, and was quite honestly surprised that she couldn't handle it in the BG.

maybe if you put the fold speed to low it might work in the background, or maybe if you only run the cpu or only the gpu in the background whilst playing

Just now, flashiling said:

maybe if you put the fold speed to low it might work in the background, or maybe if you only run the cpu or only the gpu in the background whilst playing

Is anyone able to help point me in the right direction of dedicating a single thread to F@H like was suggested above?

21 minutes ago, Parideboy said:

Generally speaking:

Is anyone able to help point me in the right direction of dedicating a single thread to F@H like was suggested above?

don't remember where to do that, but if Parideboy can't help you can make another thread and see if someone else can

Just now, flashiling said:

don't remember where to do that, but if Parideboy can't help you can make another thread and see if someone else can

Will do, thanks for your help!

31 minutes ago, JefeB said:

'Configure' -> 'Slots'

select cpu -> 'edit'

under 'CPUs' you should put the number of threads that the cpu should use, in your case that will be 22

Click ok and you're done

If this doesn't help, you can try lowering the priority of the folding processes

From the 'Configure' window -> 'Advanced' -> 'Folding Core Priority' and set it to lowest possible

If you're still experincing lag, you can try to lower the thread count even further. I'm pretty positive the lag is caused by the CPU usage

I'm myself folding 24/7 (with an abysmal build compared to yours) and I can work just fine. That being said, I RDP into servers, not an heavy workload by any means.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Parideboy said:

'Configure' -> 'Slots'

select cpu -> 'edit'

Click ok and you're done

Worked like a charm, thanks!