Best 10 gbit network cards?

Negra

I'm finishing up my list to buy my server parts and I'm stuck on this last bit. Trying to figure out which wires / network card to buy. Everything on amazon doesn't seem to have the best reviews. It seems intel based cards are the way to go and some cards can't handle heat or vms.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

rj45 or sfp+

What features do you need?

For used sfp+ , probably mellnox connect x-3, or x520

For rj45 x550 if you want more features, or aquantia for cheaper.

Doesn't matter which cable as long as it works with Unraid and and is future proof. I plan on getting a MikroTik 5-Port Desktop Switch as well. I'm new to servers so I'm still trying to figure it out. Building a custom raid server I'm going to connect to my workstation. 

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Why do you need 10 gig? If this is simply a home network sort of thing 2.5 gig is really affordable and is just fine unless you have more than 3 users at once accessing it (remember, 2.5 gigabit is 300 megabytes a second so you are probably gonna run into bottlenecks elsewhere in your system such as storage or on the other end of the network cable, the client)

I plan on using advanced VM's, cloud server, video editing over network etc. 

1 minute ago, Negra said:

Doesn't matter which cable as long as it works with Unraid and and is future proof. I plan on getting a MikroTik 5-Port Desktop Switch as well. I'm new to servers so I'm still trying to figure it out. Building a custom raid server I'm going to connect to my workstation. 

wht switch? I think its sfp+ so probably get something like used connect x3 on ebay for like 30 bucks.

If you pick the wrong type, they won't connect, there is like 10+ standards of 10gbe.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

wht switch? I think its sfp+ so probably get something like used connect x3 on ebay for like 30 bucks.

If you pick the wrong type, they won't connect, there is like 10+ standards of 10gbe.

I know I'm losing my shit trying to figure all this new information out at once. It's really daunting this new world. 

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Okay but what's your actual storage needs? Unless you run a company (like LMG) who actually needs video editing over the network for workload problems just buy a 970 evo and use that it will be much faster and you can just dump your footage to the server. It's like 2000 megabytes a second which is around 2x faster than 10 gig

I want to transfer up to 1tb of data quickly to my server. That's my choice. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

1 minute ago, Negra said:

I know I'm losing my shit trying to figure all this new information out at once. It's really daunting this new world. 

Is it this switch?

https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L

Then Get these nics

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-MCX311A-XCAT-CX311A-ConnectX-3-EN-Network-Card-10GbE-SinglePort-SFP/233621305252?hash=item3664ea37a4:g:LzsAAOSwb65e8sb3

And these cables for short runs 

https://www.fs.com/c/10g-sfp-dac-1114

and these transcivers for long runs, and some lc sm fibre aswell

https://www.fs.com/products/11591.html

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Sure okay but there are a lot more cost effective ways of doing that. If you are actually working with 1TB clips lets say you want to do it as fast as possible, buy some used fiber gear on eBay and do 40 gig direct from your editing workstation to your NAS and simply rackmount your workstation and use optical thunderbolt 3 to connect all the things have a monitor kb and mouse in another room

unfortunately I don't have room for a server room. I know, I know. "Blah blah blah, buy a rack you pussy". is all I hear. But I'm starting small until I work my way into a house. I just need to know which card I should get that works with  https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in this down the line. And how to connect them. I'm still very confused and novice on the subject. 

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

does it matter which sub cable I get? 

Just now, Negra said:

does it matter which sub cable I get? 

get passive ones, if its more thn like 5m, just run fibre. 

Get the genric brnded ones. Some switches are picky, this stuff isn't

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

get passive ones, if its more thn like 5m, just run fibre. 

Get the genric brnded ones. Some switches are picky, this stuff isn't

alright thanks

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

I know I don't want to be the elitest here, but honestly if you want to play around with a home NAS don't start off massive. Buy a Rasp Pi 4 and hook an external HDD up to it. Configure it, see how you like it, and work your way up.

I want to start of shmedium the modern way. With basically another computer. Ryzen 9 3600x, 32gb of ram, 850watt psu, 500gb nvme sabrent rocket, two 10tb iron wolfs. etc. I plan on starting a media company and need as much storage as I can get. However, I'm still a geek and want to play around with a lot of the unraid features like MacInABox. That's my ideal. 

20 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

As I said, gain experience just messing with RaspPis and see if it's something you want to pursue. Generally a NAS is only good if you need RAID or have multiple users working on the same set of data. If you truly want to do a NAS buy a 4 drive enclosure that you sit on a desk. If you do it up proper you would be looking at something like this:

I want to run a very specific VM. I don't think you understand that.