CPU Clocks capped at 3.8GHz

802053125_stresstest.thumb.PNG.b42a2fb5f86ad8faea5a3d07ff8b075c.PNG

I asked a friend and he said that maybe it's power is limited but in UEFI BIOS it's set to auto, so surely that isn't the case? And temps reach 78C max, so I don't think it is thermal throttling. It used to work fine before, it would boost above 4.2GHz easily, the only changes I have made in BIOS is setting DOHCP profile, so that my memory will run at 3000MHz. My power plan is also set to high performance and the max processer state is 100%. So what is the problem here? My CPU is R7 3700X, and I'm using the box cooler.

what cpu?

what workload? 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

what cpu?

what workload? 

Ryzen 7 3700X, sorry I forgot to mention, I'll edit the post and add it in, I'm video editing, and making visual effects, using premiere pro and after effects.

10 hours ago, L0onAt1c said:

I forgot to mention

till what workload? if it's just gaming or a normal workload, clear the cmos and try enabling xmp/docp and check.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

till what workload? if it's just gaming or a normal workload, clear the cmos and try enabling xmp/docp and check.

video production

video production

ah well you can try clearing and cmos and check. \but for the most part 3.8 on all cores is normal iirc for a 3700x. 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

ah well you can try clearing and cmos and check. \but for the most part 3.8 on all cores is normal iirc for a 3700x. 

really? when I benchmarked my cpu on userbenchmark it said that my chip was in the 1% percentile, so I thought something was wrong :/. Ok, thanks. I'll try that

Base clocks are 3.6GHz. In principle, that's all you should expect from sustained 8-core clocks. However, if both power and temperatures allow it, it could sustain higher boosts. Same applies if you are using fewer than 8 cores.

My experience with older Ryzen is that power limits are easier to hit than temperature limits, unless you lift the default restrictions that keep the CPU within its TDP. I don't know if they change their "Ryzen offset"; 1st gen Ryzen CPUs would self-regulate based on temperatures with a +20ºC offset with respect to actual package temps, and Threadrippers could go up to +27ºC, meaning that at 78-80ºC package it would clock itself down. Same with boost clocks, it would reach the max boost for a few seconds but that would come at a cost of higher-than-TDP power consumption (as measured by my motherboard), so it would dial it back until it was back at TDP. Not sure how Zen 2 does it, though.

Bottom line: how much cooling you have, which temperatures are you telling us about, and how much power it is drawing under load all could influence the clocks you can sustain under load.

on userbenchmark

its bs and isn't accurate.  and is not trust worthy, don't use it. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

its bs and isn't accurate.  and is not trust worthy, don't use it. 

ok gotcha