Trying to buy a Keyboard

jhogan93

hey guys, im looking to upgrade my keyboard to something more mechanical. i would like RGB and some macro keys. been googling and after 30 mins with some confusion about the different key switches and such. if anybody could give me some tips or point in the right direction, thanks!

Budget and country?

would you be ok with buying a macro pas separately?

well $100 would be my max but cheaper the better. im in the US. if i can keep it as one unit that would be best

5 hours ago, gloop said:

Any preferences on sizes (60%, 75%, TKL)?

yo what is this 60% and 75% in  fucking keyboards? like is that their weight or something?

1 minute ago, SuburbanBourbon said:

yo what is this 60% and 75% in  fucking keyboards? like is that their weight or something?

Layouts, amount of keys, etc. I’d suggest checking out @Eschew’s guide to keyboards if you want a more in depth look. 

Hey there.

7 hours ago, jhogan93 said:

i found this one, but im curious about logitech's switches

The Logitech G910 Orion Spark uses what Logitech calls "Romer-G Tactile" switches. Cute name, but they're only Omron B3K switches. They use a unique slider/housing (not compatible with MX-style keycaps) that's designed with LED backlighting in mind. YMMV for whether you'll actually like them or not, many owners have noted they feel "mushy" and have cursed its incompatibility with after-market keycaps for repairs and replacements.

Here's a vidya on the Logitech G910 by LTT, if you're interested:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, jhogan93 said:

been googling and after 30 mins with some confusion about the different key switches and such. if anybody could give me some tips or point in the right direction, thanks!

On 6/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, Eschew said:

Mechanical switches can be sorted into three categories: clicky, tactile, and linear. The categorizations are based on the auditory and tactile feedback the user experiences when the switch is pressed.

• Clicky: Switches with an audible click, and no tactile bump.
  • Tactile: Switches with a tactile bump, comes in both clicky and non-clicky variants.
  • Linear: Switches with neither an audible click nor a tactile bump.

Sounds

Spoiler

Clicky (Cherry MX Blue)

Tactile (Cherry MX Brown)

Linear (Cherry MX Red)

More in-depth, beginner-friendly info over at An Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards, under the Switches section (CTRL-F and search for Section [5.0]). Note that the section is biased towards MX-style switches because the thread topic is centered around custom mechanical keyboards, not pre-builts.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

22 hours ago, jhogan93 said:

remember to quote or mention so that we may get notified of your reply

have you tried them out yet? if possible, try them out at a local store. some people are not a fan of the romer-g switches, though i am ok with how it feels.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

11 hours ago, jhogan93 said:

im currently using a blackweb bwa17ho004

https://us.amazon.com/Blackweb-BWA17HO004-Keyboard-Interchangeable-Backlight/dp/B076CQY1JL

it has served me well, im hoping to find something similar but mechanical and progamable rgb.

I think Logitech G910 Orion is a great choice, I am personally a big fan of Romer-G, it's especially good if you want something that is light to touch but still offer a bit of tactile feedback

Generally speaking, a mec keyboard can be divided to clicky (strong tactile feedback with a lound click noise like an old typing machine), linear (no feeback feel whatsoever, keys can be activate with just a light touch), and tactile - which is offer some tactile feedback but not as lound as clicky keys. If you haven't already, it's always a good idea to at least try some of these switches in person, keyboard feel is a very personal thing.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:08 AM, e22big said:

I think Logitech G910 Orion is a great choice, I am personally a big fan of Romer-G, it's especially good if you want something that is light to touch but still offer a bit of tactile feedback

Generally speaking, a mec keyboard can be divided to clicky (strong tactile feedback with a lound click noise like an old typing machine), linear (no feeback feel whatsoever, keys can be activate with just a light touch), and tactile - which is offer some tactile feedback but not as lound as clicky keys. If you haven't already, it's always a good idea to at least try some of these switches in person, keyboard feel is a very personal thing.

thanks for the feed back guys, i think ill give the logitech g910 orion a try. worst case i return it. i dont have a preference yet so it may very well be perfect for me.