Gsync module vs Gsync compatible for ~60fps questions

CWellB
Go to solution Solved by Samfisher,

A proper G-Sync panel will guarantee flawless LFC and VRR from 30hz -> maximum refresh rate of the panel.  Freesync does seem to have a lot of problems when playing at the border between VRR and non VRR FPS ranges.  Freesync also doesn't dictate the ranges of LFC and VRR, so that's up to the monitor manufacturers to decide on.

I've had the XB271HU, which is essentially the same as the PG279Q (same panel).  I just sold that panel to a friend and I'm waiting on my Odyssey G7 which is Freesync/G-Sync compatible instead of G-Sync, and I'm hoping I don't regret this decision cos the G7 has a VRR range of 60-240hz.....

All in all the PG279Q is a really nice monitor.

Hi everyone, I am looking at a monitor upgrade ( PG278QR  or PG279Q  or maybe 27GL850 )

My end goal is to play Control with maxed out settings, high ray tracing using an rtx 2080 TI. My concerns are regarding the difference between using real gsync vs freesync (the LG monitor) when pushing a game like Control between 40-70 frame rate range. I have read that between the VRR and the LFC on the LG monitor, the performance could be very poor when running a game like Control around the 40-60 fps mark. 

I have read you can have flickering problems because of LFC and VRR, so you essentially have to use a real gsync module for a game like Control thats struggling around 40-60fps??

Basically I was hoping to use a monitor like maybe a real gsync module, to have smooth gameplay even around 40-60 fps for Control ( hoping for 2k resolution, high settings and high ray tracing).

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated, can't decide what monitor to buy. Thanks for any help.

A proper G-Sync panel will guarantee flawless LFC and VRR from 30hz -> maximum refresh rate of the panel.  Freesync does seem to have a lot of problems when playing at the border between VRR and non VRR FPS ranges.  Freesync also doesn't dictate the ranges of LFC and VRR, so that's up to the monitor manufacturers to decide on.

I've had the XB271HU, which is essentially the same as the PG279Q (same panel).  I just sold that panel to a friend and I'm waiting on my Odyssey G7 which is Freesync/G-Sync compatible instead of G-Sync, and I'm hoping I don't regret this decision cos the G7 has a VRR range of 60-240hz.....

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

thank you so much for this specific response! I am going to buy a pg279q tomorrow now. thanks

5 hours ago, Samfisher said:

not always the case though, some adaptive sync monitor can actually perform even better than that, Samsung CHG70 for example support VRR starting from 20 fps, this is also true for many of their lower end model (tested it myself so I can confirm that much) 

Freesynch poor adptive range performance seem to only exist on 4k monitor from my experience 

14 minutes ago, e22big said:

not always the case though, some adaptive sync monitor can actually perform even better than that, Samsung CHG70 for example support VRR starting from 20 fps, this is also true for many of their lower end model (tested it myself so I can confirm that much) 

Freesynch poor adptive range performance seem to only exist on 4k monitor from my experience 

The only issue with Freesync is it doesn't have a minimum standard.  With G-Sync I know instantly it's from 30-max refresh whereas Freesync you would have to check every single panel for their specs.  Of course, you pay a premium for G-Sync cos of the module, but it forces a lot of mandated features into the experience that makes it equally as good on all panels.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.