I need help with first build

Go to solution Solved by StoicSpartan118,
21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I got this pc from a friend who wasn't going to do anything with it but GOOD NEWS, I got it to work. My monitor did set the input the pc was on, for some reason, so I set it correctly now I'm installing drivers.

Making my first build here, the computer starts up ok but the monitor is not detecting any input. I got most of the components from a friend as he was getting a new pc but took the gpu, hard drive and ssd out of it. I bought all that except a hard drive and Win 10 pro but haven't installed it yet. When I am connecting with a monitor, I connect it with the gpu because the cpu doesn't have a dedicated graphics but nothing comes up. If anyone can help that would be great.

Build:

Asrock B365M Pro4

i5-9400f

T-Force Vulcan DDR4 16GB (2x8)

Gigabyte windforce 8GB RTX 2070

XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB

Thermaltake 650W 

“Most”?  I’m assuming that 2070 didn’t come with it.  Could be you’ve got the wrong software loaded to run that card.  Perhaps run DDU (display driver uninstalled) to remove every vestige of the old gpu.  Things tend to stick around.  Weird bits of driver in hard to find places.  DDU is a pain to download.  You need to get it from the manufacturer site and there’s a lot of trickery by advertisers to keep you from finding the correct button to do it.  After that the program is kinda hardcore and the instructions (one of which is that it has to be run from safe mode) have to be followed.  Another option is wipe your drive and reload the OS.  Can cause different problems though with old machines if they have wonky drivers.  Windows kinda likes IT’S brand new drivers and they don’t always work with older stuff. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Would I have to do this with another computer because the pc had no storage for a OS, and I forgot to write this, but I don't think the pc did a POST test at all.

5 minutes ago, StoicSpartan118 said:

Would I have to do this with another computer because the pc had no storage for a OS, and I forgot to write this, but I don't think the pc did a POST test at all.

Running bios only. Argh.  Can you update drivers with a usb stick on that board or get ahold of whatever gpu was in it originally?  
Also you bought it without making sure it worked? If the hardware is busted it could be all kinds of things.  Doing parts replacement on that thing isn’t worth it.  Old Intel stuff is still overpriced afaik. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I got this pc from a friend who wasn't going to do anything with it but GOOD NEWS, I got it to work. My monitor did set the input the pc was on, for some reason, so I set it correctly now I'm installing drivers.

58 minutes ago, StoicSpartan118 said:

Anyone knows the feeling when you think its a huge problem but it turns out it wasn't. lol

Oh yeah.  It’s kind of a byword in computers.  Glad it turned out to be both fixable and easy.