Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos TrueHD is not possible for blurays...unless

kip_2848

I am sad to inform that after extensive research for last 6 hrs on forums, reddit, and googling - 

It is simply not possible to watch movies with Dolby vision and Dolby atmos at the same time unless you have OPPO 203/204 which is discontinued.

The only other way to get them is through streaming services or through TV demo videos (works on LG OLED, not sure about others).

So, what is the next best thing that we have?? (tested in LG OLED TV)

1. Dolby vision + AC3: You will have to use MP4 as the container. Recently MKV started supporting dolby vision as well but this is a recent development and therefore has not been extensively tested.

2. HDR10 + Dolby Atmos: Works with m2ts container. Wont detect DV even if it is encoded.

3. HDR10 + AC3: Works with MKV.

Lastly, there is Sony UBP-X700/800/....  series of bluray players which probably support DV+DA but couldnt find anything definitive. Therefore, not sure. Also, even if they do, I am pretty sure they wont be able to play duel layer DV (profile 7).

Last Lastly, No, you cannot solve this problem with Plex, Nvidia shield/pro, Kodi, etc. Each one will have one or the other limitation out of the 3 mentioned.

I am posting here to see if anyone is using some really obscure - out of the box way to achieve this......Please do let me know.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, kip_2848 said:

I am sad to inform that after extensive research for last 6 hrs on forums, reddit, and googling - 

It is simply not possible to watch movies with Dolby vision and Dolby atmos at the same time unless you have OPPO 203/204 which is discontinued.

The only other way to get them is through streaming services or through TV demo videos (works on LG OLED, not sure about others).

So, what is the next best thing that we have?? (tested in LG OLED TV)

1. Dolby vision + AC3: You will have to use MP4 as the container. Recently MKV started supporting dolby vision as well but this is a recent development and therefore has not been extensively tested.

2. HDR10 + Dolby Atmos: Works with m2ts container. Wont detect DV even if it is encoded.

3. HDR10 + AC3: Works with MKV.

Lastly, there is Sony UBP-X700/800/....  series of bluray players which probably support DV+DA but couldnt find anything definitive. Therefore, not sure. Also, even if they do, I am pretty sure they wont be able to play duel layer DV (profile 7).

Last Lastly, No, you cannot solve this problem with Plex, Nvidia shield/pro, Kodi, etc. Each one will have one or the other limitation out of the 3 mentioned.

I am posting here to see if anyone is using some really obscure - out of the box way to achieve this......Please do let me know.

Thanks.

Bluray is the only way to do it currently.... I am pretty sure.

Your correct, you can't get both in mp4, m2ts, or mkv, and I believe a standard is in the works for MKV to support both at the same time. But, a blueray.... will do both today.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Bluray is the only way to do it currently.... I am pretty sure.

Your correct, you can't get both in mp4, m2ts, or mkv, and I believe a standard is in the works for MKV to support both at the same time. But, a blueray.... will do both today.

Yea. And even they cannot play dual layer DV. In which world this makes sense?! There are no Bluray players in the market which can utilize all the available resources Bluray can provide. 

Also, are you sure Bluray players can do DV Profile 5 + DA? Have tried any?

4 minutes ago, kip_2848 said:

Yea. And even they cannot play dual layer DV. In which world this makes sense?! There are no Bluray players in the market which can utilize all the available resources Bluray can provide. 

Also, are you sure Bluray players can do DV Profile 5 + DA? Have tried any?

I don't have a bluray player to try with personally. My buddy got a very nice player, and I am pretty sure when we were watching ready player one a few weeks ago it was both. But I am not 100% sure. Thankfully, whenever this gets figured out............... my nvidia shield tv, receiver and TV all support all of it. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Yea hopefully it will all get sorted soon. I own all the compatible output equipment, waiting for the input technology to again catch up to the year 2016 when OPPO 203 got launched!!

Hmm interesting bit of information. So what about e.g. the Dolby Chameleon trailer (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/)? That m2ts says Dolby Vision and direct plays fine from my Nvidia Shield 2019 via Plex. The AVR reports Atmos, but my LG C9 just says "HDR" so I cannot verify  what type of HDR it is playing though and plex just says HDR10.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

8 minutes ago, tikker said:

Hmm interesting bit of information. So what about e.g. the Dolby Chameleon trailer (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/)? That m2ts says Dolby Vision and direct plays fine from my Nvidia Shield 2019 via Plex. The AVR reports Atmos, but my LG C9 just says "HDR" so I cannot verify  what type of HDR it is playing though and plex just says HDR10.

I have that file as well, and I am pretty sure my TV didn't say Dolby vision when I played it. 

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Yep, it is playing HDR10 not Dolby Vision. The only file which successfully played both DV & DA was the demo file inside my TV. 

Its extension is .lge and I couldnt find any way to copy it to external media to inspect it further. 

1 hour ago, kip_2848 said:

Yep, it is playing HDR10 not Dolby Vision. The only file which successfully played both DV & DA was the demo file inside my TV. 

Its extension is .lge and I couldnt find any way to copy it to external media to inspect it further. 

Good to know, thanks.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

I have that file as well, and I am pretty sure my TV didn't say Dolby vision when I played it. 

So will the TV explicitely say Dolby Vision when it's playing DV content? I can't seem to find any concrete information if it will always just say "HDR" or will mention e.g. Dolby Vision explicitely.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

51 minutes ago, tikker said:

Good to know, thanks.

So will the TV explicitely say Dolby Vision when it's playing DV content? I can't seem to find any concrete information if it will always just say "HDR" or will mention e.g. Dolby Vision explicitely.

Mine does, its a TCL 6 series. My buddies does, and its a samsung quantum dot something or other I forget the model name. My parents TCL 5 series I believe it is, which supports Dolby vision says it as well. If its not dolby vision, it just says HDR.

22 hours ago, tikker said:

Good to know, thanks.

My LG OLED does as well. You can try to play an mp4 DV file or stream from Netflix & Primevideo to see it.