Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
treeburgers

Fixing a MSI z270 with no CPU connection

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I got an old MSI Z270 gaming pro from a buddy. It's been dead for a while, the CPU debug led is on and there seems to be no connection to the cpu. It's as cold as when it was mounted even after the system has been on for some time. I can't get a boot or a picture (Which makes sense considering the cpu...)

I found 3 bend pins when i recieved which i have tried to straighten. Spend a lot of time to perfect them and i see no flaws on any pins now. But i still can't get a boot and the debug LED is still on. Only booting with necessary components but still no luck.

It's an old board so RMA is not an option. It's not crucial for me to fix it, but i find it a fun challenge. Because of that i am reaching out in here, hoping that you guys might be able to help me with any possible fixes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be appreciated if we can know the full specs. 

2 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

Spend a lot of time to perfect them

Picture?


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Would be appreciated if we can know the full specs. 

Picture?

Here you go! 🙂

20200713_202458.jpg

20200713_202429.jpg

20200713_202507.jpg

20200713_202438.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, treeburgers said:

Here you go! 🙂

Specs?


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Msi z270 gaming pro
I5-7500
atm just trying with 8gb DDR4 2666

Removed all other components until i figure the cpu thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

Msi z270 gaming pro
I5-7500
atm just trying with 8gb DDR4 2666

That's not the "essentials". 

Other than the case.  Everything is necessary. 

3 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

Removed all other components until i figure the cpu thing

Clear the cmos. 

And as said above. Use everything. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

That's not the "essentials". 

Other than the case.  Everything is necessary. 

Clear the cmos. 

And as said above. Use everything. 

cmos clear has been tried aswell as taking out the battery for some minutes.

Added a gtx 1070 to it aswell to run a full setup.

Specs on the setup now:
Msi z270 gaming pro
I5-7500
2x8gb DDR4 2666
gtx 1070 founders edition

Corsair CX750m
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

Specs on the setup now:
Msi z270 gaming pro
I5-7500
2x8gb DDR4 2666
gtx 1070 founders edition

Corsair CX750m

Try without the GPU. 

Try with the igpu. Reseat everything.

It could very well be a dead motherboard as well. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

Hi,

I got an old MSI Z270 gaming pro from a buddy. It's been dead for a while, the CPU debug led is on and there seems to be no connection to the cpu. It's as cold as when it was mounted even after the system has been on for some time. I can't get a boot or a picture (Which makes sense considering the cpu...)

I found 3 bend pins when i recieved which i have tried to straighten. Spend a lot of time to perfect them and i see no flaws on any pins now. But i still can't get a boot and the debug LED is still on. Only booting with necessary components but still no luck.

It's an old board so RMA is not an option. It's not crucial for me to fix it, but i find it a fun challenge. Because of that i am reaching out in here, hoping that you guys might be able to help me with any possible fixes!

10/10 for providing accurate and useful pictures, OP.

 

Anyways, please follow the instructions in this post to the very letter:

 


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3200 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you connect your own CPU & PSU or did your friend supply those too?


Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

 

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you connect your own CPU & PSU or did your friend supply those too?

All parts are mine and verified that they all work before using them here.
 

26 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

10/10 for providing accurate and useful pictures, OP.

 

Anyways, please follow the instructions in this post to the very letter:

 

Thanks man! Did run through that one before posting here.

29 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try without the GPU. 

Try with the igpu. Reseat everything.

It could very well be a dead motherboard as well. 

Tried with ram and cpu only, no response. Have disassembled everything to check for any wrong connections, metals touching or likewise. Nothing though.

At the moment i suspect a dead motherboard as the cpu does not change temp at all. Tried quickly firing it with no cooler to see if the cpu would heat up. No change though. So i assume that the connection is dead there. Not gonna try if it's overly complicated to fix, was just hoping to revive a board that hasn't been used much

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

All parts are mine and verified that they all work before using them here.

If that's the case I would probably pull the whole thing out of the chassis (if it's in one) and start probing with a multi-meter. See if the 12V from the CPU 8-pin connector is going where it needs to go. Inspect everything in the CPU area for burn marks, smell, chipped components, or gouges in the PCB.

 

In what fashion did it stop working for him? What was he doing at the time? Did he smell anything burning? See any sparks?


Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

 

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, treeburgers said:

All parts are mine and verified that they all work before using them here.
 

Thanks man! Did run through that one before posting here.

Tried with ram and cpu only, no response. Have disassembled everything to check for any wrong connections, metals touching or likewise. Nothing though.

At the moment i suspect a dead motherboard as the cpu does not change temp at all. Tried quickly firing it with no cooler to see if the cpu would heat up. No change though. So i assume that the connection is dead there. Not gonna try if it's overly complicated to fix, was just hoping to revive a board that hasn't been used much

Can you highlight which pins were bent? I can likely look up their purpose. If you have a DVOM, it may be also possible to check if the VRM's are coming online.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3200 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 7/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, Windows7ge said:

If that's the case I would probably pull the whole thing out of the chassis (if it's in one) and start probing with a multi-meter. See if the 12V from the CPU 8-pin connector is going where it needs to go. Inspect everything in the CPU area for burn marks, smell, chipped components, or gouges in the PCB.

 

In what fashion did it stop working for him? What was he doing at the time? Did he smell anything burning? See any sparks?

Thanks for all the great feedback so far! Really appreciate you guys for taking your time to help me out.

I just ordered a multi-meter as i did not have one in hand. So will be able to test that. 
Regarding noises, smelles etc my buddy said he didn't register a thing. He couldn't get a post one day and it has been dead ever since. Can't find any of that very familiar electric smoke smell anywhere, so i would be surprised if anything has burned. I can't say for sure though. All capacitors and VRMs seems fine aswell. He did suggest a loose capacitor but they no soldering has broken as far as i can tell. My little experience in electrical engineering has taught me that they would show some sign of having burned if they for whatever reason broke.

PCB looks fine all along the board. Tried tracing most lines out from the cpu socket.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:30 PM, svmlegacy said:

Can you highlight which pins were bent? I can likely look up their purpose. If you have a DVOM, it may be also possible to check if the VRM's are coming online.

I honestly can't pinpoint the exact pins anymore as they are quite straight now all of them.The ones i found were mostly located around the area where the PCB leads over to the RAM slots. This is the best i can do, though i do remember the ones in the small circle was bent

1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This might suggest a power surge or brownout occurred overnight. It could have damaged something necessary for the CPU to receive power.

 

If the CPU is cold I'd be inclined to believe the CPU VRMs aren't getting power either. You can check if they're getting warn by just letting the system idle for a while. If the heatsink stays ~cold then we need to go further up the pipeline.


Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How To: Remotely Access Your Server/NAS

 

In the Queue:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, treeburgers said:

PCB looks fine all along the board. Tried tracing most lines out from the cpu socket.

I honestly can't pinpoint the exact pins anymore as they are quite straight now all of them.The ones i found were mostly located around the area where the PCB leads over to the RAM slots. This is the best i can do, though i do remember the ones in the small circle was bent

Well, I can say that the small circle pins are related to the DMI bus, how the CPU talks to the chipset. All low current signalling, with VSS mixed around it, so any pins contacting each other would likely just ground them out. I doubt that it caused any permanent damage to the chipset mobo. Easily a coincidence.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3200 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×