SpeedFan turns off my cpu fan

sysid
Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
7 minutes ago, sysid said:

I installed SpeedFan to set a custom curve for my case fans and everything works fine, however when i use the same settings for my cpu fan it just turns off.
The settings i used for my case fans are:
"Advanced" tab->Pwm 1(which controls all them since they're PST) mode: "Manual" and then set a custom curve in the "Fan Control" tab.
For my CPU fan: Advanced -> Pwm 2(i confirmed this is my cpu fan since other settings work) mode: "Manual", then set a custom curve like the other one.

I can see on the "Readings" tab that it's actually detecting the fan control since the speed % changes with my temps, but it still says 0 RPM and my fan turns off. The only settings that work with it are "Speed Cruise" and "Smart IV" but it seems neither of them are that good.

There's a lower limit for fans to run at, and they aren't all the same. If you raise the lowest level of the CPU fan, will it stay on?

I installed SpeedFan to set a custom curve for my case fans and everything works fine, however when i use the same settings for my cpu fan it just turns off.
"Advanced" tab->Pwm 1(which controls all them since they're PST) mode: "Manual" and then set a custom curve in the "Fan Control" tab.
For my CPU fan: Advanced -> Pwm 2(i confirmed this is my cpu fan since other settings work) mode: "Manual", then set a custom curve like the other one.

I can see on the "Readings" tab that it's actually detecting the fan control since the speed % changes with my temps, but it still says 0 RPM and my fan turns off. The only settings that work with it are "Speed Cruise" and "Smart IV" but it seems neither of them are that good.

i've actually never seen anyone control fan speed with speedfan before it's usually reserved for just glancing at temp probes. Use the bios to control the cpu fan speed or let the board do it by itself as any rpm was better than 0 rpm

7 minutes ago, sysid said:

There's a lower limit for fans to run at, and they aren't all the same. If you raise the lowest level of the CPU fan, will it stay on?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 hour ago, emosun said:

i've actually never seen anyone control fan speed with speedfan before it's usually reserved for just glancing at temp probes. Use the bios to control the cpu fan speed or let the board do it by itself as any rpm was better than 0 rpm

It can do it.  It was designed before fan speed could be easily ramp controlled though so it’s tools and systems are old.  There was a time it was invaluable. Iirc the old intel board for my Qswries chip wouldn’t do fan ramps in bios so I used speedfan.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It can do it.  It was designed before fan speed could be easily ramp controlled though so it’s tools and systems are old.

well thats how old computers are sometimes

1 hour ago, svmlegacy said:

That did the trick, thanks!