Clock speeds on my Gigabyte 5700 Xt Gaming OC

7RiK

Hello everyone, I just recently got a Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC and I noticed I wasn’t getting as good performance as I was getting on my old 1070 Ti so I checked MSI afterburner and saw that my clock speeds were unstable ranging between 1400Mhz and 800MHz sometimes a lot lower. And playing Destiny 2 on all low settings was only getting me 60-80 FPS. 
I ended up locking my clock speeds to 1920 MHz and still on all low settings I get between 60-80 FPS. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if there’s something wrong with my card. 
I have a  Ryzen 7 1700x with 16gb 2400 MHz ram. Drivers are up to date 20.7.1. 

Bios version: 017.001.000.049

Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and run a driver cleaner like DDU before installing the AMD drivers ?

Just now, si1enze said:

Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and run a driver cleaner like DDU before installing the AMD drivers ?

Yes, I didn’t at first but I did today removed all nvidia drivers, removed the amd drivers then did a new clean install and after that I got slightly better performance but nothing drastic.

Have you compared the performance with anything else other than Destiny 2 ?  I played it for a quite a while and it didn't seem particularly optimized to me.

What PSU do you have ? Seems the 5700 XT is more power hungry than the 1070 ti.

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Have you compared the performance with anything else other than Destiny 2 ?  I played it for a quite a while and it didn't seem particularly optimized to me.

That’s the weird part, I did with No Mans Sky and I was getting avg 110 FPS on high settings and my clock speeds were between 1400mhz and 1800mhz and that’s what made me think I had something set wrong and the card was just fine. Clock speeds were still not steady or consistent. This is my first AMD card so I’m not sure how they behave but for this being on the higher end I’m sure it shouldn’t behave like that.

I have a Antec 750W PSU 

I haven't played with an AMD card in years.. is there a setting in the control panel for power optimization like for Nvidia cards ?  Ie; prefer maximum performance maybe.. 

You shouldn't have a bottleneck I wouldn't think..

8 minutes ago, si1enze said:

I haven't played with an AMD card in years.. is there a setting in the control panel for power optimization like for Nvidia cards ?  Ie; prefer maximum performance maybe.. 

You shouldn't have a bottleneck I wouldn't think..

Yes, I have it set for everything to give me the best performance over energy saving.

Here is something you can try, if you haven't already, quoted from a reddit thread in reply to someone having a similar issue:

"I had to go into radeon drivers>Gaming tab>global settings>global wattman and set a custom fan profile there to alleviate temp throttling on mine."  An aggressive one apparently.. again, if you haven't already tried it, sounds like you know what you're doing.