Strange WiFi issus

yolosnail

So we've been having issues with the WiFi in the house for quite a while now, random disconnects and slow speeds, devices connected over ethernet work perfectly fine.

Previously, I've been running a DrayTek 2760 as the router and AP for downstairs, and then an ethernet running to the other side of the house connected to our old TalkTalk router, just to use as a dedicated AP for me as the Draytek struggled to reach.

Last week, I got sick and just bought a TP Link Archer C50 from Amazon, basically because it was one of the cheapest options and had fairly good reviews.

As we have a VDSL2 connection, I kept the DrayTek and just use it for the internet connection, with ethernet going straight into the C50 which is handling everything, I got rid of the TalkTalk AP as the C50 reaches my rooms no problem.

The strange thing is, using only the C50 for WiFi, we're having exactly the same issue, the WiFi just suddenly drops for a few seconds, then comes back. My phone, laptop, Fire TV stick, NOW TV box and IP Cam all disconnect at exactly the same time. With my phone, i have to manually reconnect as it says 'Authentication problem'.

Does anyone have any clue as to what it could be? Could the DrayTek, which is literally just being used as a modem cause issues with the rest of the network still (and only the WiFi at that!)

I mean, I know my way around networking but this just has me stumped, it's probably something really simple that I've just overlooked!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Does anyone have any clue as to what it could be? Could the DrayTek, which is literally just being used as a modem cause issues with the rest of the network still (and only the WiFi at that!)

The DrayTek 2760 is a gateway device. It is a combination modem, router and some models have wireless access points. If you connect a separate wireless router to it, you have to either 1.) put the DrayTek in bridge mode (essentially turning off DHCP/NAT and converting it into a simple modem) or 2.) convert the C50 to access point mode (thereby relegating routing/DHCP/NAT to the upstream DrayTek. If both are in their default configuration, you can end up with double-NAT.

The strange thing is, using only the C50 for WiFi, we're having exactly the same issue, the WiFi just suddenly drops for a few seconds, then comes back. My phone, laptop, Fire TV stick, NOW TV box and IP Cam all disconnect at exactly the same time. With my phone, i have to manually reconnect as it says 'Authentication problem'.

Firstly, if you created a new network with the same SSID using the C50, your settings might have changed, e.g. security/encryption. Clients that used the old network might be trying to use the same settings on the new network causing which is conflicting with what the C50 is set to use. Just 'forget' the network and re-connect your clients.

I mean, I know my way around networking but this just has me stumped, it's probably something really simple that I've just overlooked!

Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer. Post screenshots of the 'Networks' (hide MAC addresses) and 'Analyze' pages (include 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands). Also, please identify your SSID.