Something is Dying and I don't know what

SRLRacing

I am getting a "Boot Drive Inaccessible" BSOD when I try to boot my PC up. Thing is that boot drive is accessible enough to get into the advance troubleshooting menu in Windows. I cannot utilize the advance troubleshooting tools because for some reason it thinks my password is something else other than what I know it to be.

It gets even more odd, since I am restarting so much trying to troubleshoot this problem another possibly related problem has appeared. Sometimes the motherboard is not detecting that there is any RAM installed and various drives do not appear in BIOs at random. 

This is a relatively new setup (less than a year):

AMD 3900X

Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

16GB of Ballistix Elite

NVidia 2070 Super

Boot Drive: Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 1TB NVMe

Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + 3X Seagate HDD Exos X16

Recent changes:

Bios Update v 3.00 (Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.0.2)

Refreshed Windows

Has been working fine for the past couple of days. I did install AMD StoreMI 2.0 as I was going to experiment with it but I doubt it could cause this problem but its certainly possible.

Troubleshooting taken so far:

Tried built in Windows recovery options but have so far failed due to the beforementioned password bug.

Rolled BIOs back to earlier version.

Set BIOs to "Default"

Checked boot order

Ripped it apart and put it back together

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This PC is my work, play, and life all in one.

UPDATE: 

I ended up having to reformat my drive and get things going that way but issues persist. I have uncovered a further (Possibly unrelated/ possibly related) issue. The entire PC restarts itself at random. I can get the behavior consistently when trying to put a synthetic benchmark on the CPU like Cinebench. But I do get random occurrences of it. This behavior feels like some kind of protective behavior of the CPU but my temps seem ok up until at least the last readings I see in HWInfo. Anyone have any ideas?

Update 2:

So since I last posted this I have gone through a bit of an RMA journey. I have tested or replaced:

the switch

motherboard

CPU

PSU

The behavior continues pretty much exactly the same. The only common parts left are my GPU, RAM, and storage drives. I have rigorously tested the GPU and that seems fine. The RAM is actually behaving better than ever where I used to have issues with the system posting half the time. I have found a correlation between ambient temperature, chassis fan speed, and the behavior. Current theory is the Inland 1TB PCIe 4.0 boot drive which is one of those early units using the notoriously hot Phison controllers but for whatever reason none of my drives are reporting temperatures or other S.M.A.R.T. data points. 

So I'm thinking something may have gone weird with the Motherboard. I've tried installing Windows on another drive with no luck. May try Linux on a thumb drive just to see

Run into a couple similar complaints about this sort of thing here.  My memory is it’s generally software.  Don’t remember what exactly or how to fix it though.  

Iirc Windows was having trouble with one of its new builds recently.  It was so bad it was bricking printers.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I can't say I fixed it, but my PC is now working.

Whatever the problem was/is it was going so far as preventing me from doing a fresh installation of Windows on my main drive. So I installed a fresh image on one of my game drives that I didn't mind reformatting and once I got everything up and running I cloned that drive back over to my main drive. I did manage to save the few files I did not have any backup for by using Linux to access to the main drive's directory. Several hours later things seem to be ok. We will see if any other issues arise.

I have uncovered a further (Possibly unrelated/ possibly related) issue. The entire PC restarts itself at random. I can get the behavior consistently when trying to put a synthetic benchmark on the CPU like Cinebench. But I do get random occurrences of it. This behavior feels like some kind of protective behavior of the CPU but my temps seem ok up until at least the last readings I see in HWInfo. Anyone have any ideas?

So works but crashes.  Memory issue maybe?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So works but crashes.  Memory issue maybe?  

I tried reseating the memory. Its not exactly a crash (No BSOD). It just turns off. But then immediately turns back on. 

14 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

I tried reseating the memory. Its not exactly a crash (No BSOD). It just turns off. But then immediately turns back on. 

Just a shot in the dark but could it be the switch in your case is bad? Or the switch circuit on the mobo? Not sure if it's NO or NC on the motherboard but you could try and short it out and see if it persists.

• 1 month later...

So since I last posted this I have gone through a bit of an RMA journey. I have tested or replaced:

the switch

motherboard

CPU

PSU

The behavior continues pretty much exactly the same. The only common parts left are my GPU, RAM, and storage drives. I have rigorously tested the GPU and that seems fine. The RAM is actually behaving better than ever where I used to have issues with the system posting half the time. I have found a correlation between ambient temperature, chassis fan speed, and the behavior. Current theory is the Inland 1TB PCIe 4.0 boot drive which is one of those early units using the notoriously hot Phison controllers but for whatever reason none of my drives are reporting temperatures or other S.M.A.R.T. data points.