UK peoples, good BT Hub replacement?

LewisBloom

Any comments or advice on the following issue appreciated,

The BT Hub I have had a few years is either failing or we are hitting the limit as to what can be connected, as it regular wont let devices connect and needs restarting. I was thinking about just replacing it but not sure what the best option would be?

We have a fair amount of devices in the family from tablets, phones, smarts TV's and alexa's etc throughout.

cheers

Lewis

It was specifically the BT Hub replacement I was slightly worried about just as I have read some older posts about Netgear not being overly compatible with the BT systems in place. 

cheers,

Lewis 

48 minutes ago, LewisBloom said:

It was specifically the BT Hub replacement I was slightly worried about just as I have read some older posts about Netgear not being overly compatible with the BT systems in place. 

cheers,

Lewis 

That router should work with any modem, the issues is your will need a modem. Can you get anouther modem? What modems are approved by your isp?

1 hour ago, LewisBloom said:

The BT Hub I have had a few years is either failing or we are hitting the limit as to what can be connected

I've had this issue before.

What modems or modem router combo depends on the technology you are using. Standard VDSL equipment won't work on a gfast line and vise versa, despite both using the same copper wires to get into your house.

What's the name of your package? It usually tells you what type of modem you need.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

1 hour ago, LewisBloom said:

I was thinking about just replacing it but not sure what the best option would be?

Forgot to address this part. You can plug any router in as long as it supports vlan tagging and ppoe (if you get a modem as well). 

If you have a large house and your current WiFi doesn't reach upstairs etc, you can either get

1. Mesh wifi system
  2. AP + router system (if you have ethernet runs in your house or can drill walls).

I would go for option 2 if you can as it will be more reliable and fast. If you can afford ubiquiti, go for it.

I have my preference on a mesh wifi system, but really depends on circumstances and how much you like to tinker.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mad153 said:

What's the name of your package? It usually tells you what type of modem you need.

Thanks for the help, glad to hear I am not the only one. I've been grandfathered in I think on the package, I think it used to be called Infinity or something. The actual hardware is the BT Smart Hub - Type A

My package is;

Your BT Broadband

Your current BT Broadband:

Fibre with BT Halo 1

Ok so you seen to have their regular fibre to the cabinet broadband.

You can either use a router with a built in VDSL modem, or use any router with a separate modem as long as it supports vlan tagging (as per post above)

If you want a separate modem, a draytek vigor 130 or a huawei echolife unit with openreach branding will do. Personally I prefer the Huawei units as they seem to deal with problems more easily such as the VDSL losing sync etc as sometimes the draytek panics and fails.

The logins for ppoe to access the network is the same:

Login: bthomehub@btinternet.com

Password: doesn't really matter. "Bt" or just leaving it blank is fine.

Do you need any router recommendations?

Thanks

On 7/8/2020 at 11:08 PM, Mad153 said:

Ok so you seen to have their regular fibre to the cabinet broadband.

You can either use a router with a built in VDSL modem, or use any router with a separate modem as long as it supports vlan tagging (as per post above)

If you want a separate modem, a draytek vigor 130 or a huawei echolife unit with openreach branding will do. Personally I prefer the Huawei units as they seem to deal with problems more easily such as the VDSL losing sync etc as sometimes the draytek panics and fails.

The logins for ppoe to access the network is the same:

Login: bthomehub@btinternet.com

Password: doesn't really matter. "Bt" or just leaving it blank is fine.

Its the modem that needs to support VLAN tagging (pretty sure anything supporting VDSL by its nature will support it) not the router.  The router only has to do PPPoE.

I personally have two lines, one with a Zyxel VMG-3925-B10B as modem and another with a Home Hub 5A flashed with OpenWRT (crap router, but great as a modem although I probably wouldn't recommend it right now as it seems to have issues with G.INP at least on the ECI trial).

Generally the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A or VMG1312-B10A are recommended.  Even the old HG612 3B does the job, but they're getting a bit long in the tooth now and only available used so potentially have worn out capacitors.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 hours ago, Mad153 said:

Yes please, any all in one recommendations would be best over having to have a separate modem and router using two plugs, two pieces of hardware etc is just a litle more annoying over a single even larger piece of kit I can have on what is the small porch table. I am happy to spend the cash so long as can sit where my current hub sits and not randomly drop devices as its limit gets hit lol. Thank you for the help so far :)

cheers,

Lewis 

9 hours ago, LewisBloom said:

Yes please, any all in one recommendations would be best over having to have a separate modem and router using two plugs, two pieces of hardware etc is just a litle more annoying over a single even larger piece of kit I can have on what is the small porch table. I am happy to spend the cash so long as can sit where my current hub sits and not randomly drop devices as its limit gets hit lol. Thank you for the help so far :)

cheers,

Lewis 

I know its more annoying, but a dedicated modem is generally more reliable as it means rebooting your router doesnt re-sync the connection.

The Kitz forum is generally a more informed place to discuss UK broadband.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 7/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, LewisBloom said:

cheers,

Lewis 

Umm ok I don't have any specific advice. How many devices do you want to use (roughly)

Thanks

Okie dokie so if the only option is modem and then router separate maybe I should just keep the existing Hub in modem mode and get a new router for the wireless element?

8 hours ago, LewisBloom said:

Okie dokie so if the only option is modem and then router separate maybe I should just keep the existing Hub in modem mode and get a new router for the wireless element?

Its not the only option but its generally more reliable and easier to pick a modem that is well tested rather than whatever random modem a router might include built-in.

If wireless is the only thing you're looking for, a proper wireless Access Point is generally slightly better than a router in Access Point mode.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, LewisBloom said:

Okie dokie so if the only option is modem and then router separate

That's not the case at all.. just most here don't know much about modem combo routers. Maybe try the aforementioned forum.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, LewisBloom said:

existing Hub in modem mode and get a new router for the wireless element?

Welcome to the next circle of BT hell. Modem mode is a business hub only feature, because BT... Buying a separate modem is needed. 

You'll find hacks on forums where you can turn off WiFi radios etc but it will still cause issues due to double NAT

Thanks