Painting RAM

Hey all, I've got some ugly cheap green RAM that I got for $15 (8gb so a good deal). However, it's fucking green. 

Can I paint it? Or Sharpie over it or something? 

As long as its non metallic and you don't paint the pins it should be fine, lite coats and let it cure for 24 hrs.

The paint may not stick to well to everything however and if it does, you may not be able to cleanly remove it in the future.

Really though, I would just buy some heatsinks and paint those, then again for the price of heatsinks you could of just went with a set of ram that already has it and is probably speced better.

Unless you plan on staring at your ram all day, I would just use it as is, then later consider buying a new set if you want to upgrade down the line.

36 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Can I paint it?

as long as the layer is non conductive then sure. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I have some stupid cheap green RAM that looks horrible. I also have a permanent marker and the ink is non-conductive, so I figured what the hell.

I figured it was better than paint because it won't insulate the chips and make them overheat - already no heatspreader.

Should I do it?

cheap heatspreaders would be a better idea

in aliexpress they cost next to nothing

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I have some stupid cheap green RAM that looks horrible. I also have a permanent marker and the ink is non-conductive, so I figured what the hell.

I figured it was better than paint because it won't insulate the chips and make them overheat - already no heatspreader.

Should I do it?

As long as it's not oil-based, you probably can get away with it. I wouldn't recommend doing this though as sharpies are alcohol-based, so it might eat the plastic on the ram sticks. 

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Should I do it?

You wouldn't be the first guy to paint pc hardware. 

Years ago it was common to paint hard ware for customization.

I say go fo it dude!!!

35 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You wouldn't be the first guy to paint pc hardware. 

Years ago it was common to paint hard ware for customization.

I say go fo it dude!!!

Yeah but the actual PCB? I'd mask off the pins but still

39 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah but the actual PCB? I'd mask off the pins but still

Yes the actual PCB. 

We used to paint the heat sinks too.