Psu fans

chery

Hi guys i needed your help. Many casings have psu shrouds on which you can attach case fans. I wanted to do that but i didn't know that should i put it in intake position or exhaust. Because if its intake it will intake psu's hot air and if it is exhaust it will exhaust gpu and cpu heat to the psu. 

31 minutes ago, chery said:

Hi guys i needed your help. Many casings have psu shrouds on which you can attach case fans. I wanted to do that but i didn't know that should i put it in intake position or exhaust. Because if its intake it will intake psu's hot air and if it is exhaust it will exhaust gpu and cpu heat to the psu. 

Nope, the open end of the psu will be towards the bottom and intake fresh air and psu fan will expell the heater air immediately out of its back outside the case. The cooling is quite efficient as modern good psus hardly warm with their high efficiency ratings anyway.

You can put them on intake most likely as usually the bottom of the case is filterd/ventilated front to back (depends on the case perhaps though). Some cases even allow mounting the fan(s) behind the psu under the shroud, removing them from sight (bad if rgb lol, good if poop noctua color lol), allowing them to take in out of case air and push it up towards the gpu. Either way, either pushing or pulling  through psu shroud grid is involved so for that is doesnt matter much.

If theres a slot right over the psu that might be a slight different story for that location depending on the case/psu shroud size/room etc.

-> Moved to Air Cooling

As said, PSU is its own separate unit in terms of airflow. Sure it will radiate some hot air, but your GPU will be most likely hotter.

The point of PDU shroud is to conceal HDDs and SSDs, and so any fan used there will only service those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv