Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Torrent

Computer for entertainment system

Posted · Original PosterOP

For Netflix, not pirating films deffo..., youtube, etc. Need a desktop which can plug into a tv for simple stuff.

looking at dell optiplex on eBay for around £100 right now. What do you recommend?

.Waiting for intel 7nm, navi 23, zen 11...

Updated: Too long ago

Alienware 17r5

3700x/1080

500D SE/3600/1060 STRIX VERTICAL/AG352UCG6 120hz 1440p gsync ultrawide / TOO MUCH RGB

A few negligible workstation builds

Gaming Routers are Stupid

I have a RGB Problem

/pcmasterrace /widescreenmasterrace

Audiophile, EL8 Titanium go to drivers for weight to performance ratio.

Music Setup Cubase 10 PRO, Adam A8X, Adam Sub8.

I dont ask stupid questions, I just word them stupid so you think its stupid.

im not stupid your stupid calling me stupid stupid

Why are you still reading this this is prob all wildly outdated as i just found out how to change signature and ill prob never be bothered again hahahahhahahahaa.

The word "Gaming" and anything around it is cringe. E.G

I'm a gamer les go play fortnite. In cringe 9 year old voice.

I want a Gaming Computer to play fortnite. In cringe 9 year old voice.

Gaming is dumb enthusiast is cool.

Whitebread > Brownbread

Coffee>Tea

PoachedEgg>FriedEgg

Idk how many lines this is im not counting im prob breaking rules #rebel

Get a cheap Android box or whatever from Aliexpress or Gearbest. Optiplex will use far more power, put out far more heat, and take up far more space for basically identical performance but with a lot more hassle.

Chromecast is also an option.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

If you're looking for a small form factor that can be mounted to or behind the TV, take a look at:

• Optiplex 3050 Micro (Used on eBay)
  • NVIDIA Shield (Android TV)
  • Raspberry Pi 4 B (Cheapest)

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - Asus TUF X570-PLUS (WiFi) RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU - MSI GTX 1070 Ti PSU - EVGA B3 650W Case - Meshify C Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, MX500 500GB, Barracuda 2TB

Media Server

CPU - Core i5-4570 | RAM - Samsung 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Case - OptiPlex 9020 SFF

Storage - 850 EVO 128GB (Boot), BX500 240GB (Software), WD Red 4TB (Storage) | OS - FreeNAS 11.3

Like others have said you’re better off with an entertainment box. I’ve used a fire tv, Apple TV, Roku, and shield tv. The Apple TV gives the best viewing experience but the shield tv is close and has some nice features. 

Mi box s they say is a 4k Android box (30-35$) and then there are some "USB drive" that are also connecting to your HDMI, and using windows

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

The Apple TV gives the best viewing experience but the shield tv is close and has some nice features. 

Does the Apple TV let you download and store purchased movies on the device?

I was told no but if that is so then why do they come with 32GB and 64GB storage capacities?

Even though that is hardly enough storage anyway for movie lovers like me.

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I was told no but if that is so then why do they come with 32GB and 64GB storage capacities?

I don’t believe they do for the iTunes movies. You stream them which will be an issue if you have low data caps. The streaming quality on the iTunes movies is amazing though.  

Just a thought, if you have a decent desktop, you could just run an HDMI cable to your TV and use it as a second monitor. I did that with my gaming PC. I had my desktop stuff running on my desktop monitors and my TV setup as a third or fourth (can't remember exactly). It worked pretty well but I'm single so I didn't have to worry about any conflicts with other people competing for usage.

Personally, I feel like a dedicated PC is way overkill and not worth the effort if all you want to do is stream. Like others have said, just get an Android streaming box. They are quite capable these days and should you want to go down the route later of storing movies locally, they can handle it with programs like Plex or Kodi. The Shield Pro for example can handle 4k HDR Vision and even has Atmos support. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, Intergalacticbits said:

The storage is for the OS and installing apps and games.

You can probably get a used Intel NUC for that price, if thats the type of thing your looking for. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.