Computer for entertainment system

For Netflix, not pirating films deffo..., youtube, etc. Need a desktop which can plug into a tv for simple stuff.

looking at dell optiplex on eBay for around £100 right now. What do you recommend?

Get a cheap Android box or whatever from Aliexpress or Gearbest. Optiplex will use far more power, put out far more heat, and take up far more space for basically identical performance but with a lot more hassle.

Chromecast is also an option.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you're looking for a small form factor that can be mounted to or behind the TV, take a look at:

• Optiplex 3050 Micro (Used on eBay)
  • NVIDIA Shield (Android TV)
  • Raspberry Pi 4 B (Cheapest)

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Like others have said you’re better off with an entertainment box. I’ve used a fire tv, Apple TV, Roku, and shield tv. The Apple TV gives the best viewing experience but the shield tv is close and has some nice features. 

Mi box s they say is a 4k Android box (30-35$) and then there are some "USB drive" that are also connecting to your HDMI, and using windows

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

The Apple TV gives the best viewing experience but the shield tv is close and has some nice features. 

Does the Apple TV let you download and store purchased movies on the device?

I was told no but if that is so then why do they come with 32GB and 64GB storage capacities?

Even though that is hardly enough storage anyway for movie lovers like me.

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I was told no but if that is so then why do they come with 32GB and 64GB storage capacities?

I don’t believe they do for the iTunes movies. You stream them which will be an issue if you have low data caps. The streaming quality on the iTunes movies is amazing though.  

Just a thought, if you have a decent desktop, you could just run an HDMI cable to your TV and use it as a second monitor. I did that with my gaming PC. I had my desktop stuff running on my desktop monitors and my TV setup as a third or fourth (can't remember exactly). It worked pretty well but I'm single so I didn't have to worry about any conflicts with other people competing for usage.

Personally, I feel like a dedicated PC is way overkill and not worth the effort if all you want to do is stream. Like others have said, just get an Android streaming box. They are quite capable these days and should you want to go down the route later of storing movies locally, they can handle it with programs like Plex or Kodi. The Shield Pro for example can handle 4k HDR Vision and even has Atmos support. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, Intergalacticbits said:

The storage is for the OS and installing apps and games.

You can probably get a used Intel NUC for that price, if thats the type of thing your looking for. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.