Discontinuation of 8th Gen Intel chips

Raina21
9 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It depends what type of gamer you are. In newer AAA games the extra cores means a huge difference in minimums giving you a smoother gaming experience at which point I would say it is worth it. Sure the 7700k does a decent job but not everyone want simply decent. 

or if you have one of the i5s then you can easily get horrible performance, my brother got my 4690k and in some games its a stutter fest 

I will offer an observation. Remember when Ryzen first launched? 4 cores got declared dead. 6 or 8 were the way to go. Now, without comparing names, we're seeing the recently released AMD 4c8t CPUs declared as the best value ever. Sure, they're a lot cheaper than when Intel were selling 4c8t at the top end, but the technical side doesn't change though. You get a bit more or less here or there, depending on IPC and clock and whatever, but a decent 4c8t is still a 4c8t at heart. I think it'll still have a role as an entry level gaming system for some time.

I've accepted my what was high end 6700k 5 years ago is now more like an entry level CPU. I've moved onto 6 cores on my gaming system to help with minimums, but haven't felt anything requiring me to go much beyond that, yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

But does 100 or 130 fps really make that much of a difference? I know not all games run at locked 144fps on my 144Hz display, but it's just such smooth experience I just plain don't care. If there was hitching and noticeable pauses, I'd upgrade my system this moment. Or if framerate dips were from 130 fps down to 40 I'd do the same. But framerate floating at 100 region it's just brilliant.

The difference is frame time consistency and yeah it does make a difference especially in certain games. It may not matter in all games but there are definitely some where having 4 cores is simply not enough to get good lows. 

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Still yes.  In the future perhaps not so much.  I’ve got a 4770k that is still going strong.  I joined up here getting on to a year ago to follow what would happen and to figure out what I would need to upgrade and when.   A year ago it looked like the time of the 4/8 was nearing its end and the time of the 4/4 was already going.  Hanging out for a year the 4/8 is still holding on.    All the metrics I worried about a year or so ago are still there though, things are moving slower than I thought they might.   Going for more cores is predicting the future. The leopardII APU in the upcoming consoles is already over a year old but the consoles have not yet released.   I do not see a change in gaming until after that release.  When it happens though everything gets thrown in the air.  4/8 might remain viable or it might not.  6/12 is more likely to remain viable but it’s an unknown too.  The consoles are 7/14@3.xghz with big GPUs and black box possibly but not necessarily disruptive storage.

A fast 8/16 can beat anything the consoles can throw.  A 2080ti can beat anything the consoles can throw.  Storage is still up in the air, but PCs are improving while console tech while still unreleased is still aging. 

My personal move is going to be hold until the console systems are known, and then buy to beat them.  I don’t have to beat them by much.

i'm still using the i7-4770 (non-K) I've upgraded the GPU twice in that time.

When the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, they had 8 cores, but they were half the speed, so if you do the math, this is the same as having a hyperthreaded quadcore at twice the speed.

So the next gen stuff, the big focus is really on 4K and  the SSD this time. That's something you can't really upgrade on a Haswell system, even though it supports NVMe, few systems actually shipped with M2 slots, so if you want a SSD you have to sacrifice some expansion slots that you might not have the option to. The z87 board I have still has PCI slots on it, and new boards have replaced these with m2 slots flush on the MB.

So I would put my money on a PCIe4 SSD, when they come down in price. Right now there's like two vendors selling any, and the SSD's are rather expensive relative to the PCI 3.0 x4 models. So I'd put September of this year when I would re-evaluate if I should upgrade (when hopefully AMD, nVidia come out with new GPU's and AMD is expected to have newer Ryzen models.)