Looking to Upgrade Monitor, need advice on hidden gems

School Appropriate

Hello Linolians, I am looking to upgrade my current monitor but I am not too familiar with all the different models out there and was wondering if anyone knew a monitor that would fit my needs and be like the go to monitor to move to. 

Currently I am using a asus vn279QL monitor, I will list the specs below.
Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 300 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 100000000:1(BS I know)
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
Refresh Rate: 60Hz

Pan Type: VA

Now my main problems with this monitor is that it's capped at 60HZ, it's capped at 1080p, and it has no freesync or gsync capabilities. (I am currently using a 1070ti)
What I like is that it's 27inches, which means it's pretty big, it has a brightness of 300nits and not something abysmal, and the contrast ratio is higher than the other panel types because it is a VA panel.

Currently, I am looking to upgrade to a monitor that is at least 120HZ, g-sync or freesync capabilities (I heard Nvidia can now use freesync....) at least the same size, same or better brightness, and I am looking for a 1440p minimum resolution. I do live in Canada, and I also don't have a billlioonnn dollars to spend, I am hoping for something in the $400-600 range. 

I have looked at some monitors myself, but I am asking if there are any hidden gems anyone might know of that fit the bill for what I need. If there isn't I will trawl through all the monitors I can find 1 by 1 but I thought I'd ask first.