Micro ATX Motherboard For Ryzen 5 1600X

I've just bought a Ryzen 5 1600X for a great price used and I'm looking for a decent quality micro atx motherboard to pair with it for under £100.

Here in the UK the only options inside my budget are B450M motherboards.

The ASRock B450M Steel Legend is currently my preference:

spacer.png

But I could get the Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING AM4 DDR4 mATX Motherboard

spacer.png

Or the MSI Ryzen B450M MORTAR MAX AM4 mATX Motherboard

spacer.png

Has anyone here used any of these boards, and if so, what was your experience?

Thank you.

30 minutes ago, adamaquarius said:

I've just bought a Ryzen 5 1600X for a great price used and I'm looking for a decent quality micro atx motherboard to pair with it for under £100.

Here in the UK the only options inside my budget are B450M motherboards.

The ASRock B450M Steel Legend is currently my preference:

spacer.png

But I could get the Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING AM4 DDR4 mATX Motherboard

spacer.png

Or the MSI Ryzen B450M MORTAR MAX AM4 mATX Motherboard

spacer.png

Has anyone here used any of these boards, and if so, what was your experience?

Thank you.

im not familiar with the tuf b450 board but from what i know its not the best and its io is straight shit 

so its either the mortar or the steel legend 

they are both great but if it was me i would go with the steel legend 

edit: i just now remembered that the steel legend only has 4 phase power delivery which isnt that bad but the mortar has a 6+2 phase power delivery and an extra m.2 slot 

it depends on what do you prefer and what are these priced at 

both of them are great boards 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The cheapest 'not complete garbage' motherboard in that bracket this side of the puddle is the AsRock B450(m) Pro4, which regularly retails for less than $70. Truth be told any B450 motherboard with a VRM block will be able to handle a 1600X provided you run it at stock speeds and have some ambient airflow over the heatsink.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/zym323/asrock-b450m-pro4-f-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4-f

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

The cheapest 'not complete garbage' motherboard in that bracket this side of the puddle is the AsRock B450(m) Pro4, which regularly retails for less than $70. Truth be told any B450 motherboard with a VRM block will be able to handle a 1600X provided you run it at stock speeds and have some ambient airflow over the heatsink.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/zym323/asrock-b450m-pro4-f-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4-f

if he can get to mortar territory i dont see a problem spending a little over that to get a MUCH better board  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

20 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

if he can get to mortar territory i dont see a problem spending a little over that to get a MUCH better board  

oh totally but it also is almost 50% more expensive

Just depends if that money could be saved and better used elsewhere.

I believe the max boards come with the full click-bios and not the stripped down version so the UI is much better than what AsRock offers

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

11 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

oh totally but it also is almost 50% more expensive

Just depends if that money could be saved and better used elsewhere.

I believe the max boards come with the full click-bios and not the stripped down version so the UI is much better than what AsRock offers

I completely agree 

But at the same time one of the things where saving money isn't necessarily recommended is the mobo for that stable power delivery but at the same time 

We get to a level where it is good enough :)

Build Log: 

Thank you for the advice everyone! I've decided to buy the ASRock B450M Steel Legend.

To be honest I think the MSI Mortar Max is a better board, but I've been doing some research and apparantly their UK customer service is really poor and I'd rather give my money to a company that treats their customers well.

The motherboard was £86.99 (On sale from Amazon.co.uk) and the R5 1600X was £130 with 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz RAM included. So £216.99‬ for Motherboard, CPU and 16GB RAM. I'm very happy with that.

1 minute ago, adamaquarius said:

Thank you for the advice everyone! I've decided to buy the ASRock B450M Steel Legend.

To be honest I think the MSI Mortar Max is a better board, but I've been doing some research and apparantly their UK customer service is really poor and I'd rather give my money to a company that treats their customers well.

The motherboard was £86.99 (On sale from Amazon.co.uk) and the R5 1600X was £130 with 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz RAM included. So £216.99‬ for Motherboard, CPU and 16GB RAM. I'm very happy with that.

I know you already have the parts but if you could have just searched for a 1600 af that would have made alot of a difference

Build Log: