Webcam Question

Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

They record both as separate video streams and then overlay them in editing.

So During Youtube videos people are able to make it just show their wecam at one point in the video and I dought they acually make thier webcam cover the whole screen in OBS nor just crop the footage where it is only their webcam on the screen. I am abbsolute sure they do not crop their footage where it only shows their webcam because the quality would look bad since it is zoomed in. How do they do it then?

for example lazerbeam does this

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 9.03.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 9.02.57 AM.png

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Thanks

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

10 minutes ago, turtlecraft said:

So During Youtube videos people are able to make it just show their wecam at one point in the video and I dought they acually make thier webcam cover the whole screen in OBS nor just crop the footage where it is only their webcam on the screen. I am abbsolute sure they do not crop their footage where it only shows their webcam because the quality would look bad since it is zoomed in. How do they do it then?

for example lazerbeam does this

The YouTubers either:

- Record the gameplay and webcam seperately (overlaying it all in their video editing program of choice)

or

- They have three OBS scenes: gameplay, webcam and webcam+gameplay and just switch through these when needed.

I find the second option less likely for videos on YouTube (unless it's a VOD of a stream), since you don't want to worry about framing and such during gameplay. But this is something people on Twitch use to quickly switch between scenes (so they can also include a 'I'm away for a couple minutes' scene).

Using something like a keyboard macro or a Streamdeck, it can be pretty easy to switch between scenes.

So most likely he just records both and edits in post, if this is a video.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/