Zotac 1660Ti Coil Whine

vleds123

Hello as the title says im having alooot of coil whine and its really annoying. Ive read things about running a benchmark for 24h to "burn the card in?" and some says its a myth so i dont know. I wanna try that because i dont know what else to do. 

PS: I bought the card 2nd hand so i can't give it back, im stuck with it until next upgrade in a few years

I moved my PC off my desk recently onto a shelf behind the desk (I changed rooms so setup was different). 

I went from noticing coil whine to never hearing it.

Turning fan speeds up and making sure they don’t ramp up and down too much can also cover it.

Failing that wear noise cancelling headphones, it works!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I moved my PC off my desk recently onto a shelf behind the desk (I changed rooms so setup was different). 

I went from noticing coil whine to never hearing it.

Turning fan speeds up and making sure they don’t ramp up and down too much can also cover it.

Failing that wear noise cancelling headphones, it works!

Unfortunately I cant move my case (i dont have enough space under my desk for my feet and im afraid of kicking the glass panel)

Even with the fan speed i still can hear it it makes a loud noise when i play games or render in unreal engine

And im more of a speaker guy I use a samsung sound bar 😛

But how about the benchmarking for 24h any idea?

Why not just set it up for folding for a bit, stress the card AND help fight Covid 19?

I would say not having headphones and the proximity of the case PLUS not having sound deadening on all case panels (glass side panels don’t deaden much noise) is probably why you are noticing it so much.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 hours ago, vleds123 said:

Unfortunately I cant move my case (i dont have enough space under my desk for my feet and im afraid of kicking the glass panel)

Even with the fan speed i still can hear it it makes a loud noise when i play games or render in unreal engine

And im more of a speaker guy I use a samsung sound bar 😛

But how about the benchmarking for 24h any idea?

I've heard the benchmark rumor to "burn in" new cards, but seen zero data to support it or deny it. Since your card is used it's already been through many thermal cycles and would already be "burned in" if there was any validity to that theory. The coil whine you have it what you're likely stuck with as it's a bit of a luck-of-the-draw when it comes to that.

But, I like the suggestion of running F@H if you really want to stress test it!

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15