Better Combination

What's better ? 2 Different Brand of Ram with same Latency and speed ,  OR Two same Ram Brands with Dual Channel Kit

- Is there a big difference between both ? cause i currently have 1 Stick of 8GB that is discontinued and i've been looking to make it 16 GB

As long as both sticks are the same speed, and both are compatible with your motherboard, there is no problem but I'd always go dual channel kit.

They also work if they are different speeds but running at the lower speed.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

1 hour ago, ChaosCGTV said:

As long as both sticks are the same speed, and both are compatible with your motherboard, there is no problem but I'd always go dual channel kit.

They also work if they are different speeds but running at the lower speed.

hi thanks for the response , quick question if i was to go for the cheaper upgrade which is just  buying the same speed and latency , how much gain difference is it vs having a dual channel kit ? is it just much better for me to buy a dual channel kit ram again or is upgrading to another same specs of ram is just as better ? 

Going with a dual channel kit is smart because the sticks are meant to run together. Theoretically there is no problem in combining different ones but it will get you a higher chance of unpredictable errors talking from my personal experience (at least with older platforms), but may anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

31 minutes ago, Poka said:

hi thanks for the response , quick question if i was to go for the cheaper upgrade which is just  buying the same speed and latency , how much gain difference is it vs having a dual channel kit ? is it just much better for me to buy a dual channel kit ram again or is upgrading to another same specs of ram is just as better ? 

The biggest capacity you can get in at least dual channel. Within budget of course.

I can't have one slower speed module than high speed one cause the one that is faster will have to sacrifice itself to match the slower ones speed. So not great,

How ever you can get dual channel even by mixing up modules. Assuming they are identical capacities. You can run dual channel fine.

So as you said you have one 8gb then get another and you're good to go dual channel.

However as @ROBiMS said possible issues but I never experienced it as I never mixed ram myself.

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

When it comes to RAM, there are too many variable and the only thing that is certain is that dual channel is always better than single channel. 

7 hours ago, pstarlord said:

When it comes to RAM, there are too many variable and the only thing that is certain is that dual channel is always better than single channel. 

Ahhh , but will mine Run As Dual Channel if it were the same Speed and Latency but Different Brands

10 hours ago, ChaosCGTV said:

The biggest capacity you can get in at least dual channel. Within budget of course.

I can't have one slower speed module than high speed one cause the one that is faster will have to sacrifice itself to match the slower ones speed. So not great,

How ever you can get dual channel even by mixing up modules. Assuming they are identical capacities. You can run dual channel fine.

So as you said you have one 8gb then get another and you're good to go dual channel.

However as @ROBiMS said possible issues but I never experienced it as I never mixed ram myself.

Hi thanks for the reply , Will two different Brands with same Speed and Latency but Different Brands Run as Dual Channel ? or not ? 

11 hours ago, ROBiMS said:

Going with a dual channel kit is smart because the sticks are meant to run together. Theoretically there is no problem in combining different ones but it will get you a higher chance of unpredictable errors talking from my personal experience (at least with older platforms), but may anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

really like to go for the dual channel kit but at this days saving up money is a must so i would really like to go for the much cheaper upgrade adding one more 8 GB but the my question is will it run as DUAL channel if it were the same speed / latency but different brands ?

2 hours ago, Poka said:

really like to go for the dual channel kit but at this days saving up money is a must so i would really like to go for the much cheaper upgrade adding one more 8 GB but the my question is will it run as DUAL channel if it were the same speed / latency but different brands ?

Yes, same speed and capacity should run at dual channel. As I said never use you different capacity or speed.

First watercooled System

6 hours ago, Poka said:

Ahhh , but will mine Run As Dual Channel if it were the same Speed and Latency but Different Brands

You could try, in theory, yes it would, but it might not.  

When it comes to RAM and the labeling of it, you get a very small amount of information you get the Speed, CAS, and a few main timings.  There are quite a few sub timings involved that also need to be stable. If the two brands happen to also be using the exact same dye, Samsung B Dye for example, will usually need different sub timings than a Hynix dye.  Putting them on Auto might work, you might get lucking and you find a combination of those timings that work.  But all it takes is one of those variables to be out of an acceptable range of one of your sticks of RAM and then you'll lose stability. 

What RAM does often gets overlooked, but it's essentially the time keeper for everything in your system, if it's not running smoothly, then the whole system doesn't function well. 

5 hours ago, pstarlord said:

You could try, in theory, yes it would, but it might not.  

When it comes to RAM and the labeling of it, you get a very small amount of information you get the Speed, CAS, and a few main timings.  There are quite a few sub timings involved that also need to be stable. If the two brands happen to also be using the exact same dye, Samsung B Dye for example, will usually need different sub timings than a Hynix dye.  Putting them on Auto might work, you might get lucking and you find a combination of those timings that work.  But all it takes is one of those variables to be out of an acceptable range of one of your sticks of RAM and then you'll lose stability. 

What RAM does often gets overlooked, but it's essentially the time keeper for everything in your system, if it's not running smoothly, then the whole system doesn't function well. 

Mind Blowing Man Thanks for this explanation really helpful thank you thank you

9 hours ago, ChaosCGTV said:

Yes, same speed and capacity should run at dual channel. As I said never use you different capacity or speed.

Perfect Thank you So Much ! Will order one tommorow