Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blue-green-koala

Blue USB2 ports annoy me

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CaQ3nn3QJUo/Xn3ej_ePIqI/AAAAAAAAgxA/Bm9k0kyqLHkS1n3YZGLDtncqH1kRAXpoQCK8BGAsYHg/s512/2020-03-27.jpg

This is a Netgear router, a telco supplied one but why. The front USB port is black and USB2. I have no problems with that. The rear one is also USB2, but has the blue inset as if it were USB3. Why? The spec-sheet says 2x USB2, so they're definitely not fooling anyone.

As an aside, this router is pretty weird. I cracked it open, and it has two UARTs, one labelled eCos and the other Linux. I've run into eCos before - it's an open source real-time OS. Reading the serial data on boot, eCos seems to be acting as a bootloader (!) and taking care of the radios. This has references to Broadcom hardware...on a router based on an Intel Puma?

Anyway, I digress. It annoys me when USB 2 ports have a blue inset. While USB 3 protocol has brought improvements to USB 2, it's still not USB 3 speed. The blue inset was designed to make it simpler to identify different speeds of USB ports. It's understandable (though not great) when companies like Lenovo make USB 3 ports black (and my E490 still has a USB 2 port...), but this feels like they're trying to intentionally mislead people.

quick, someone call the USB colour police

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

systems:

8700k/2080ti - 8350k/980ti - 4790k/1080ti - 4460/1070ti - r3600/v64 - p9950be/750ti

laptops:

8750h/1060 - 3200u/vIGPU

*** Thread locked ***

Please reserve threads where you don't actually want discussion to your status updates.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv