Migrating data to a new NAS?

So for the past 3yrs I've been using the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra w/ 2x2TB WD Red drives in RAID 0.

The NAS is primarily used as a Plex server for 800 movies, TV Shows and backing up of my PC but is now completely full (14GB remaining).

I am considering purchasing the Synology DS918+, mostly for hardware transcoding of 4K movies and the ability to expand its storage capacity for years to come.

If I get the DS918+ and install 1x4TB WD Red - is it possible for me to transfer all 4TB data from the My Cloud NAS to the Synology and then move over the old 2x2TB drives into the Synology, completely phasing out the WD NAS?

What would be the best way of achieving this as efficiently as possible, and what RAID options should I consider now I'd effectively have 8TB total and 4TB free storage? I only chose RAID 0 originally for the performance and ability to use the entire 4TB available.

All help and opinions on this is greatly appreciated! :D

FYI - I have considered alternative NAS options including building my own but the DS918+ seems the most logical with its 4 bays, expansion capabilities, quad-core CPU and ease/simplicity compared to relying on FreeNAS or something similar... for me it makes the most sense to buy rather than build.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea, if you use shr on the new nas, you can expand the array later on. 

Would SHR be my only option here, would it not be possible to use RAID 0 for example?

Looking at Synology's RAID Calculator, SHR would yield just 4TB usable capacity and put me in the same situation as I am in right now - needing more space.

1 minute ago, KiloAlphaIndigo said:

Would SHR be my only option here, would it not be possible to use RAID 0 for example?

I think you can use raid 0 and expand, but that won't work well with mismatched drive types. I think your best option is a jbod where it just uses all the drives spaces, no striping. 

But Id really add some parity as drive failures are somewhat common, esp with those older drives. Do you have a backup?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think you can use raid 0 and expand, but that won't work well with mismatched drive types. I think your best option is a jbod where it just uses all the drives spaces, no striping. 

But Id really add some parity as drive failures are somewhat common, esp with those older drives. Do you have a backup?

My main consideration is cost, I don't want to be spending too much when I effectively just need 4TB extra storage space right now.

I'd like to have some parity as I won't have a backup solution but according to Synology's RAID Calculator SHR would give me 4TB usable storage with the 2x2TB + 1x4TB configuration. I'd essentially have to purchase another 4TB drive just to make all this worthwhile.image.thumb.png.2434c73596c4461a9bbacc0ab5d0e6c5.png

10 minutes ago, KiloAlphaIndigo said:

My main consideration is cost, I don't want to be spending too much when I effectively just need 4TB extra storage space right now.

I'd like to have some parity as I won't have a backup solution but according to Synology's RAID Calculator SHR would give me 4TB usable storage with the 2x2TB + 1x4TB configuration. I'd essentially have to purchase another 4TB drive just to make all this worthwhile.image.thumb.png.2434c73596c4461a9bbacc0ab5d0e6c5.png

If your goal is cost, id stay away from synology, and make a diy box, you can get them for much cheaper for simmilar specs and just as easy to use.

Id stay away from a raid 0 with no backups, no reason buying hardware if there is a reasonble chance of losing all the data.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your goal is cost, id stay away from synology, and make a diy box, you can get them for much cheaper for simmilar specs and just as easy to use.

Id stay away from a raid 0 with no backups, no reason buying hardware if there is a reasonble chance of losing all the data.

I’ve considered DIY but wanted something relatively simple and without much faff.

You bring up a very fair point though and have answered my questions, thank you! 😁

19 minutes ago, KiloAlphaIndigo said:

I’ve considered DIY but wanted something relatively simple and without much faff.

You bring up a very fair point though and have answered my questions, thank you! 😁

Its really not that hard to do diy. You really just have to install a os, then it works like the synology and is controlled from a web interface.