My computer has a severe issue

JustIncapable
1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Not necessarily. Windows keys are linked to your mobo these days and your Microsoft account. We can cross that bridge later.

Do the format and re-install for now, then let the pc complete all of its updates.

Ok just to make sure. I boot to the flash drive, then I go to install windows, then custom installation, and then I select the drive that says windows and click format.

4 minutes ago, JustIncapable said:

Ok just to make sure. I boot to the flash drive, then I go to install windows, then custom installation, and then I select the drive that says windows and click format.

Yes, since you will need to clean that drive. c drive should be it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes, since you will need to clean that drive. c drive should be it.

Ok I’m going to get some sleep and do this in the morning 

1 minute ago, JustIncapable said:

Ok I’m going to get some sleep and do this in the morning 

Sounds good. Its past 2:00am here anyway.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If you bought it relatively recently than you should be able to take it to BestBuy or call them with your problem then they will probably fix it or replace it.

4 hours ago, Tera Byte said:

If you bought it relatively recently than you should be able to take it to BestBuy or call them with your problem then they will probably fix it or replace it.

Nah I bought it like 3 years ago and since then I have upgraded every part except for the psu and the hard drive 

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Sounds good. Its past 2:00am here anyway.

Ok so if I format the drive then are you sure that I’m not going to have to buy windows again. Bc as of rn I don’t have My windows product key written down and idk if my computer will even let me look it up through command prompt (I’m sure it will let me tho) and Idk if I will be able to activate it again. Like I said yesterday last time I had a windows issue, it was when I upgraded my cpu and motherboard and it ended up deactivating windows due to a hardware change and it took all day finding a Microsoft support person that spoke good enough English that I could understand them and they could understand me enough to understand my problem and reactivate windows for me.
   So what I’m trying to say is, is that my windows as of right now is activated by Microsoft tech support and not me and I do not have the information to activate it myself. So if I format my hardrive (which has windows on it) will it automatically activate it and put in my windows product key? I will obviously attempt to get my product key for my windows 10 home written down before I do any formatting just incase it doesn’t automatically put that in when I reinstall windows after the format, but if it doesn’t reactivate windows for me then I’m not sure if Microsoft support will reactivate it for me because this issue might not be as understandable as something as simple as a motherboard upgrade. 

I just need to be 100% sure that I’m not going to be screwed after the format. <content removed by staff> if I want to buy something then I give my mom the money and she orders it for me, so if I have to end up buying a fresh copy of windows (which is the last thing I want to do) then it probably won’t be a cheap’o one. Because my mom doesn’t order off of any sketchy websites or anything, like she won’t even order off of eBay because she has been scammed on there before. Soooo yea, i need to be sure that formatting won’t make me have to buy windows again.

Edited by SansVarnic

1 hour ago, JustIncapable said:

then are you sure that I’m not going to have to buy windows again.

I did not say that but you can install without the key. All windows products have the same minimum 30 trial period. Windows 10 "trial period" is indefinite.

But for the purpose of your issue you can skip the key for now and can enter later if need be. You are getting ahead of yourself and over thinking this....

I just need to be 100% sure that I’m not going to be screwed after the format.

There is no way I can say anything that will give you this feeling.

If your HDD is a corrupted as you claim then a format is the best way to do this.

BUT did you attempt to run the recovery option from the ISO? or was there the option?

Because my mom doesn’t order off of any sketchy websites or anything, like she won’t even order off of eBay because she has been scammed on there before. Soooo yea, i need to be sure that formatting won’t make me have to buy windows again.

I will not advise you to buy Windows from the grey market.

The way to buy the OS is from microsoft, you can do this through the activation, an OEM version will cost only $99USD. BUT until you finish the process that I outlined previously you wont know if you can recover the key.

I have been where you are so please slow down and stop overthinking this.

You can contact Microsoft to help re-activate your OS but it is a process and is not 100% guaranteed. As I mentioned WIN10 is linked to your Motherboard and your Microsoft account these days and that helps. All you need to is explain the situation to the MS tech and they will walk you through the process. In the worst-case scenario purchasing a new OS is the answer. But we have not crossed the bridge yet.

Lastly since I am helping you based on information you are giving me I can only give advice based on that limitation.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, SansVarnic said:

I did not say that but you can install without the key. All windows products have the same minimum 30 trial period. Windows 10 "trial period" is indefinite.

But for the purpose of your issue you can skip the key for now and can enter later if need be. You are getting ahead of yourself and over thinking this....

There is no way I can say anything that will give you this feeling.

If your HDD is a corrupted as you claim then a format is the best way to do this.

BUT did you attempt to run the recovery option from the ISO? or was there the option?

I will not advise you to buy Windows from the grey market.

The way to buy the OS is from microsoft, you can do this through the activation, an OEM version will cost only $99USD. BUT until you finish the process that I outlined previously you wont know if you can recover the key.

I have been where you are so please slow down and stop overthinking this.

You can contact Microsoft to help re-activate your OS but it is a process and is not 100% guaranteed. As I mentioned WIN10 is linked to your Motherboard and your Microsoft account these days and that helps. All you need to is explain the situation to the MS tech and they will walk you through the process. In the worst-case scenario purchasing a new OS is the answer. But we have not crossed the bridge yet.

Lastly since I am helping you based on information you are giving me I can only give advice based on that limitation.

Well thanks for all the help, I just ended up formatting my hard drive and buying windows again for like $140 😕... welp there goes my new ti bars that I was going to buy.

8 hours ago, JustIncapable said:

Well thanks for all the help, I just ended up formatting my hard drive and buying windows again for like $140 😕... welp there goes my new ti bars that I was going to buy.

Sorry you had to buy a new copy, I suggest you put that number is a safe place for possible future use if you need it.

Glad I was able to help. 👍

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER