AORUS X570 stuck on DRAM LED will not boot, will not enter BIOS

DJH

Hi Guys,

a) I assembled my new PC and powered on and started to install windows 10.

b) During windows 10 installation, after rebooting 1-2 automatically the system got stuck.

c) The DRAM LED remains on and I cannot get access to the BIOS anymore - simply stays there.

I am desperate. I have tried everything: Upgraded BIOS, Downgraded BIOS (using Flash button), swapping RAMS, all, single, BIOS reset, CMOS Battery removal, plugged/unplugged all power cables, power supply, removed and replaced back CPU and CPU fan ...

It is a 3600x based with  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Gold, Gigabyte 5500xt GPU and Sharkoon 25W chassis.

Any ideas? (Apart from the obvious of returning back the motherboard?)

Thanks

Dimitris.

3 minutes ago, DJH said:

I am desperate. I have tried everything: Upgraded BIOS, Downgraded BIOS (using Flash button), swapping RAMS, all, single, BIOS reset, CMOS Battery removal, plugged/unplugged all power cables, power supply, removed and replaced back CPU and CPU fan ...

It is a 3600x based with  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Gold, Gigabyte 5500xt GPU and Sharkoon 25W chassis.

Do you have access to another kit of memory? I have heard of quite a few issues regarding X570 Aorus (or really any X570) in combination with Corsair memory.

So if at all possible, see if you can test with another kit of memory.

Have you tried booting with one or the other stick in slot 2? Sometimes it just doesn't work with all sticks at the same time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hi minibois - thanks for responding back !

I do not have another set of RAMs to test it - BUT what is interesting is that it was working for some 20 minutes during windows installation (NB never touched or parametrized BIOS)

I have tried all combinations in all slots - including one RAM in slot 2 ...

Thanks once again.

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Do you have access to another kit of memory? I have heard of quite a few issues regarding X570 Aorus (or really any X570) in combination with Corsair memory.

Have you tried booting with one or the other stick in slot 2? Sometimes it just doesn't work with all sticks at the same time.

I do not have another set of RAMs to test it - BUT what is interesting is that it was working for some 20 minutes during windows installation (NB never touched or parametrized BIOS)

Thanks once again.

5 minutes ago, DJH said:

Thanks once again.

Did you have XMP/A-XMP (I forget which names Aorus uses) turned on in the BIOS? (prior to it not booting into BIOS anymore).

I would kinda suggest trying out other memory, since as I said I have had some issues with Corsair memory on Aorus X570 (and have seen others complain about it too). G.Skill seems to always work with no issues.

Seems like you tried all the other things that could be wrong.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you don't have another set of ram I would try getting bootable live cd linux distro on a usb stick for example lubuntu 19.04. Enable CSM in bios change boot to legacy and boot the live cd, from the live cd menu pick memtest and run it for good 30 minutes, one pass is usually not good enough 2 is the absolute minimum. (if you have rooted android phone DriveDroid can create such bootable image in 2 clicks)

You can also try running lubuntu from the live CD (don't install just try it), if you can boot it you'll know it's most likely settings not hardware.

1 minute ago, tehz said:

If you don't have another set of ram I would try getting bootable live cd linux distro on a usb stick for example lubuntu 19.04. Enable CSM in bios change boot to legacy and boot the live cd, from the live cd menu pick memtest and run it for good 30 minutes, one pass is usually not good enough 2 is the absolute minimum. (if you have rooted android phone DriveDroid can create such bootable image in 2 clicks)

You can also try running lubuntu from the live CD (don't install just try it), if you can boot it you'll know it's most likely settings not hardware.

The problem is that I cannot even get on BIOS - I get a Blank Screen and a light DRAM led ... stuck ... stuck ... stuck ...

I am sorry, when I read your post I thought that you were able to reset your BIOS (must be physical switch on motherboard)

Your motherboard appears to have dual bios, try powering it off and on few times in a row (3 or 4) it should switch to your second bios.

If that doesn't work and cmos flush doesn't work and you don't have another set of ram I'd RMA.

edit:

One more thing, just a blind guess, make sure RAM sticks are all the way in the socket, I own x570 myself and you get a click even when they are not fully in, actually takes some force, but don't be brutal.

Edited by tehz

6 minutes ago, DJH said:

The problem is that I cannot even get on BIOS - I get a Blank Screen and a light DRAM led ... stuck ... stuck ... stuck ...

Maybe just try letting it sit for a while. Turn off the PSU switch and leave it for an hour. (and also take out the CMOS battery for that hour why not)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Maybe just try letting it sit for a while. Turn off the PSU switch and leave it for an hour. (and also take out the CMOS battery for that hour why not)

Hi - did that - no change.

3 hours ago, tehz said:

I am sorry, when I read your post I thought that you were able to reset your BIOS (must be physical switch on motherboard)

Your motherboard appears to have dual bios, try powering it off and on few times in a row (3 or 4) it should switch to your second bios.

If that doesn't work and cmos flush doesn't work and you don't have another set of ram I'd RMA.

edit:

One more thing, just a blind guess, make sure RAM sticks are all the way in the socket, I own x570 myself and you get a click even when they are not fully in, actually takes some force, but don't be brutal.

Tried this already - (also other combination such as pressing reset button together with Power On button for 10 sec etc) Did NOT work.

Right. Squeezed in RAM just in case ... nop.

16 hours ago, DJH said:

I do not have another set of RAMs to test it

Honestly sounds like you need some more ram to test this. Do you have any local friends who could lend you some? Preferably gskill or crucial?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

Honestly sounds like you need some more ram to test this. Do you have any local friends who could lend you some? Preferably gskill or crucial?

Yeap ... strange enough though it was working with the current RAM for some 10-20 min (windows 10 install) and I did not customize BIOS at all

I have ordered this to test HyperX 16GB Fury DDR4 2666MHz 1Rx8 Non-ECC CL16 (Kit of 2) [HX426C16FB3K2/16] - it is in the compbatibility list and als at 2666 (not 3200) - will keep you posted.

Thanks

3 hours ago, DJH said:

Yeap ... strange enough though it was working with the current RAM for some 10-20 min (windows 10 install) and I did not customize BIOS at all

I have ordered this to test HyperX 16GB Fury DDR4 2666MHz 1Rx8 Non-ECC CL16 (Kit of 2) [HX426C16FB3K2/16] - it is in the compbatibility list and als at 2666 (not 3200) - will keep you posted.

Thanks

You said you tried one stick of RAM in slot 2.

Did you try THAT stick of RAM in any of the OTHER slots?

Did you try the OTHER stick of RAM in any of the other RAM slots?

It can be just one faulty RAM stick, and the other stick is fine.

10 ~ 20 minutes sounds like a faulty / bad RAM stick.

As you go through the Windows install, more and more data is loaded onto the RAM.

There is probably a bad RAM chip, or bad sector/cells on one of the RAM sticks.

When your computer tries to use that bad RAM chip / sector, computer dies, and the DRAM error light comes up.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 4/2/2020 at 12:11 PM, -rascal- said:

10 ~ 20 minutes sounds like a faulty / bad RAM stick.

As you go through the Windows install, more and more data is loaded onto the RAM.

There is probably a bad RAM chip, or bad sector/cells on one of the RAM sticks.

That is what I thought when I was troubleshooting my current daily driver. Couldn't get my RAM usage over 60%. I RMA'd that kit, like, 6 times because it never crossed my mind that it was my baller ASUS mobo. Corsair very kindly burned, like, a grand on my mistake. Once I swapped the mobo (which of course takes longer than a clean new build FML) I was totally fine. Bad something to do with RAM handler on the mobo. If this ramkit doesn't solve it, 100% RMA that mobo

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, I have the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA and i got the same problem with the DRAM light on, I never found a solution beside of unplug the ups cable and leave it rest for 10 minutes and after that try it again. It isn't a RAM problem, I am sure about it because I test with different RAM that I am sure that it works.

• 10 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 5:20 AM, minibois said:

I had the identical problem and removing all but 1 memory stick solved it