Should i upgrade?

Hi yall.

Built my first rig about 5 years ago with a G3258.  Rocked it for years loved it.  Got me into pcs.  Obviously even a few years the dual core did not cut it.  Upgraded to a 4690k.  Wondering if i should put a 4790k in it used or new.

Had to replace my 960 a few weeks ago when it died that i got when i originally built the computer, and now have a RX 580.  Would it even be worth it to upgrade the CPU for that Card?

This pc is a bit sentimental to me, i just want the best performance on this platform because ill probably build me another pc in a year or two and give this to my girlfriend? Thoughts?  attatched is pics of the rig now.

pc.jpg

pc2.jpg

No I don't think so, since upgrading to a newer CPU architecture will cost you a new motherboard and RAM. 

Its still a good CPU. Wondering if i should get the i7 now instead of my i5 right now.  Im deff gonna get a new mobo and ryzen for a new build here soon.  Im still rocking Haswell in 2020 lol.

17 minutes ago, BudGrillz said:

Its still a good CPU. Wondering if i should get the i7 now instead of my i5 right now.  Im deff gonna get a new mobo and ryzen for a new build here soon.  Im still rocking Haswell in 2020 lol.

I rock haswell also, with my i5 4670K. ;)

But yeah, just save your money and get a Ryzen rig later. 

No one should buy a 4770k or 4790k in the current market. A 4770k goes for $100-120. 

A 1600AF is only $85 and offers better performance (at the expense of a new motherboard and new ram). 

Alternatively I highly recommend exploring x79 builds for a budget upgrade. A Xeon e5 1650v1 (i7 3930k equivalent) is only $50-55 and comes with 6 cores and 12 threads. The problem is the motherboards are overpriced but local markets like Craigslist/marketplace often come with good deals on these parts. 

I'd say with your current system I would look for cheap upgrades locally. 

46 minutes ago, BudGrillz said:

Hi yall.

Built my first rig about 5 years ago with a G3258.  Rocked it for years loved it.  Got me into pcs.  Obviously even a few years the dual core did not cut it.  Upgraded to a 4690k.  Wondering if i should put a 4790k in it used or new.

Had to replace my 960 a few weeks ago when it died that i got when i originally built the computer, and now have a RX 580.  Would it even be worth it to upgrade the CPU for that Card?

This pc is a bit sentimental to me, i just want the best performance on this platform because ill probably build me another pc in a year or two and give this to my girlfriend? Thoughts?  attatched is pics of the rig now.

Hey, if it's for sentimental value, and you don't mind the price, why not? Certainly I appreciate having the peak of my platform, and I don't really regret buying mine. You will see a bit of a bump in performance (particularly multi-tasking). The bump isn't really worth the value that a 4790K goes for, but again, it's kind of a capstone for the machine. I happen to have a dead 4790K, but keeping it, as the king of (mainstream) DDR3.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64