AVR Receiver or Amp needed for Xbox with good headphones?

Mishtar

Would my Denon AVR X1200W be good enough at powering something like the AKG7XX or would I need to find some kind of a amp that works with the Xbox?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Mishtar said:

Would my Denon AVR X1200W be good enough at powering something like the AKG7XX or would I need to find some kind of a amp that works with the Xbox?

Thank you

Denon stuff is great. The AKG7XX's are pretty efficient aswell, so the Denon should power them just fine.

Unrelated, But nice bike! An older Devinci Wilson it looks like?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Denon stuff is great. The AKG7XX's are pretty efficient aswell, so the Denon should power them just fine.

Unrelated, But nice bike! An older Devinci Wilson it looks like?

Yup! 2011 Wilson SL, I also have a 2012 Banshee Rune and I just picked up a 2019 Fezzari La Sal Peak last September that I am loving!

Back to headphones, do you have any you recommend that are good for FPS and solo games? I am not really into music so that does not need to be a requirement, I just want to hear footsteps better in FPS and feel immersed in single player games. 

Just now, Mishtar said:

Yup! 2011 Wilson SL, I also have a 2012 Banshee Rune and I just picked up a 2019 Fezzari La Sal Peak last September that I am loving!

Back to headphones, do you have any you recommend that are good for FPS and solo games? I am not really into music so that does not need to be a requirement, I just want to hear footsteps better in FPS and feel immersed in single player games. 

@rice guru can help with finding good headphones, He's pretty know it all when it comes to headphones. I'm more a speaker guy. The Beyerdynamic DT770/990's are supposed to be pretty good though.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

So far I have been looking at the 700X, DT 990, HD58x, HD6xx. There are just so many choices...I don't listen to music, not even a little, I will just play games mainly FPS but I do enjoy single player games like RPGs and the Assassin creed line. 

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

@rice guru can help with finding good headphones, He's pretty know it all when it comes to headphones. I'm more a speaker guy. The Beyerdynamic DT770/990's are supposed to be pretty good though.

@rice guru  I looked at your signature block and saw what you own. (Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52) Do you think any of these would work better for mainly FPS but also other games? Also I wear glasses so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you. 

@rice guru  I looked at your signature block and saw what you own. (Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52) Do you think any of these would work better for mainly FPS but also other games? Also I wear glasses so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you. 

the 990 is my favorite for fps's but not a great all rounder due to tuning. the 58x is weaker for gaming but one of the best at this price point and the he 4xx is pretty good for gaming not as good as the other 2.  the dt 880 600 ohm is a better all rounder with pretty much the same performance in gaming as the 990 just not as fun. the 58x has a narrower soundstage and weaker imaging but a good all rounder and doesnt require and amp and dac unlike all the other options I have presented. the akg k240 is pretty good for the price for gaming at $50 . I also wear glasses and the he 4xx, dt 990 , 770 ,880 are great for me

53 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the 990 is my favorite for fps's but not a great all rounder due to tuning. the 58x is weaker for gaming but one of the best at this price point and the he 4xx is pretty good for gaming not as good as the other 2.  the dt 880 600 ohm is a better all rounder with pretty much the same performance in gaming as the 990 just not as fun. the 58x has a narrower soundstage and weaker imaging but a good all rounder and doesnt require and amp and dac unlike all the other options I have presented. the akg k240 is pretty good for the price for gaming at $50 . I also wear glasses and the he 4xx, dt 990 , 770 ,880 are great for me

@rice guruI also saw a really good deal on the fidelio x2, how would you compare them to the DT 990? They are about $70 cheaper then the 990.

Thank you for your help.

@rice guruI also saw a really good deal on the fidelio x2, how would you compare them to the DT 990? They are about $70 cheaper then the 990.

Thank you for your help.

heavier bass less treble more mids. just as wide but the 990 can also presetn sounds closer to you than the fidelios can. they can run off your motherboard well adn pretty good for gaming but its not as precise as the 990 or the 58x. its pretty good for casual gaming but not as good for competitive as the heavy bass has a tendency to hide footsteps. but for a fun experience in single player games they are really fun

@rice guru This might be to broad of a question but I thought I may as well ask. I currently have the PC350 SE headset, I have nothing to compare them to but the foot steps don't seem to bad in gammes with them on, what would be the best upgrade to give me something different then what the PC350 SE gives? Very broad question but if you have an opinion I am open to any suggestions. My max price is about $350 all in Canadian.

Thank you

24 minutes ago, Mishtar said:

@rice guru This might be to broad of a question but I thought I may as well ask. I currently have the PC350 SE headset, I have nothing to compare them to but the foot steps don't seem to bad in gammes with them on, what would be the best upgrade to give me something different then what the PC350 SE gives? Very broad question but if you have an opinion I am open to any suggestions. My max price is about $350 all in Canadian.

Thank you

so my general experience with sennheiser headsets are they often try to go for a more neutral sound technicalities generally pretty good but never really the best with the exception of the pc 37x which is among the best for gaming. at it's price point. for about a little more than 350 canadian the dt 990 250 comboed with a monoprice liquid spark which is an amp that pairs really well with it is a great option . this is a very different experience open back more detailed experience gives a more natural sounding game with better positional accuracy. if you diont want to buy an amp the hd 58x and fidelio x2 hr are also within your budget. if you dont want to run open bacnk and want to run a closed back setup instead, the dt 770, akg k371, and one more triple over ears are also within your budget and also pretty good for gaming. 

@rice guru Thank you again, do you think the DT 990's would work ok with my Denon AVR X1200 until I get an amp if I went that direction? I did see the DT990 for $199 on amazon for the 250 version but I did also find a renewed version of the X2HR for $130. Would you think the DT is worth the extra money? I am also curious out of the 5 pairs you have listed in your signature block which ones would you use if you were playing a competitive FPS?

@rice guru Thank you again, do you think the DT 990's would work ok with my Denon AVR X1200 until I get an amp if I went that direction? I did see the DT990 for $199 on amazon for the 250 version but I did also find a renewed version of the X2HR for $130. Would you think the DT is worth the extra money? I am also curious out of the 5 pairs you have listed in your signature block which ones would you use if you were playing a competitive FPS?

that amp might work but im now sure how much power it has on the headphone output power side of things. but out of all my headphones. the 990is my favorite foir competitive fps but the he 4xx and 58x have their own advantages. 

the 58x is a intimate sounding headphone great competitively as well I think the dt 990 just edges it out with better imaging and a wider soundstage.

the he 4xx is wide has great rear and front imaging but not as good as the other 2 in the left and right

the 990 is great for everything and has noticably the best left and right imaging out of the 3. 

the fidelio x2 hr is a headphone in my list  very bassy wide sounding headphone very fun. but not great competitively. $130 for it is pretty damn excellent if a good casual gaming heapdhone is what your looking for. the bass is so good for gunshots and explosions just not great for highlighting footsteps. 

pther alternatives to look at that dont necessarily require an amp is the sennheiser hd 599. uses the same drivers as the hd 58x just different build and leans towards a different sound signature closer the the hd 650 where the 58x sounds like a cheapers hd 660. both the 58x and the 599 are excellent for competitive gaming as well. 

16 minutes ago, rice guru said:

that amp might work but im now sure how much power it has on the headphone output power side of things. but out of all my headphones. the 990is my favorite foir competitive fps but the he 4xx and 58x have their own advantages. 

the 58x is a intimate sounding headphone great competitively as well I think the dt 990 just edges it out with better imaging and a wider soundstage.

the he 4xx is wide has great rear and front imaging but not as good as the other 2 in the left and right

the 990 is great for everything and has noticably the best left and right imaging out of the 3. 

the fidelio x2 hr is a headphone in my list  very bassy wide sounding headphone very fun. but not great competitively. $130 for it is pretty damn excellent if a good casual gaming heapdhone is what your looking for. the bass is so good for gunshots and explosions just not great for highlighting footsteps. 

pther alternatives to look at that dont necessarily require an amp is the sennheiser hd 599. uses the same drivers as the hd 58x just different build and leans towards a different sound signature closer the the hd 650 where the 58x sounds like a cheapers hd 660. both the 58x and the 599 are excellent for competitive gaming as well. 

Thank you, I decided to try the X2HR for $159 shipped with an extended 2 year warranty, it said it was the version with the removable pads on Amazon Renewed. The new DT 990 Pro 250 ohm would have been $235 with the extended warranty so I don't think I would have noticed a huge difference for the extra $7.   I do like FPS but I also only playing those at the end of Dec this year most of my gaming for the last 10 years has been rpg's and games like Assassins creed ,Fallout, The Witcher and such so I might enjoy the X2Hr's more.

These were the ones I bought. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0844WXJWT/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb?th=1

I did read some people have had issues with balance, is there a test for this or just your ear? I am looking forward to trying them compared to my PC350 SE's! Hopefully they will be at least as good as the 350s at pin pointing footsteps.